• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to me '18 AR240 New guy questions

Namerif

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hello all! Picking up my '18 Ar240 this week after lurking here for the better part of 6 months. You guys have been great help without even knowing it! Pretty excited to get my new baby especially since it only has 12 hours on it. That brings me to my first question. Dealer says the 10 hour service hasn't been done yet and wants $398 for it. They tell me it is an oil change and a "mechanical inspection." Worth it? I know I can change oil myself, and the boat was inspected by a third party at the time of purchase, just want to get your guys' take. Thanks, and I look forward to hangin' out on the forums more now. (And I know, I know. I'll get some pics posted ASAP)

Edit: Couple of quick pics. Many more to follow I'm sure!

IMG_2256.jpgIMG_2263.jpg

Last edited:

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I did my first 10 hour service....not worth the extra cost in my opinion.

Also :Welcome::Welcome:

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
what is your time worth? I did not have time to do it so I payed. Is it hard? No, likely very easy. If you have the time on your hands totally do it yourself.

captras

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Are you buying out from a dealer? If so... make them do it as a part of the sale! If not, you can do it yourself.

Fish

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Hello all! Picking up my '18 Ar240 this week after lurking here for the better part of 6 months. You guys have been great help without even knowing it! Pretty excited to get my new baby especially since it only has 12 hours on it. That brings me to my first question. Dealer says the 10 hour service hasn't been done yet and wants $398 for it. They tell me it is an oil change and a "mechanical inspection." Worth it? I know I can change oil myself, and the boat was inspected by a third party at the time of purchase, just want to get your guys' take. Thanks, and I look forward to hangin' out on the forums more now. (And I know, I know. I'll get some pics posted ASAP)
Congrats on the new purchase! Post some pics when you get it!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Not worth $400 (my local dealer charges $800, this was several years ago so the cost is probably higher now).

Buy and oil remover pump for $50 to $100 and always change the oil yourself is my recommendation. You will also need a grease gun as well.

The inspection consists mainly of checking for loose parts and lubricating some of them (like the main bearings). Just look in your owners manual for what the inspection entails. Don’t forget forget to check the bearings on your trailer as well.

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Not worth $400 (my local dealer charges $800, this was several years ago so the cost is probably higher now).

Buy and oil remover pump for $50 to $100 and always change the oil yourself is my recommendation. You will also need a grease gun as well.

The inspection consists mainly of checking for loose parts and lubricating some of them (like the main bearings). Just look in your owners manual for what the inspection entails. Don’t forget forget to check the bearings on your trailer as well.
Ditto @Ronnie is correct.

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I don't think anyone considers this to be a hard job. If you have the time, totally do it yourself! If you are busy and have other priorities, just throw money at it

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats in your still new boat! Boats are awesome! The peace of mind having the dealer go over the boat might be worth it, but you can easily handle most other seasonal service.

Hit me up if you're after any new toys and I can shoot some exclusive discounts at you.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There are a few good how to videos on YouTube . If you aren’t in a rush don’t bother to warm up the oil/engines on a hose. It’s also one less process to remember (I.e., engine on before water on, water off before engine off, this is the same process for flushing the engines).

PJ73

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length