• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to outboard jet need info

Bobber time

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have a 2017 Mercury 80 jet outboard it has plenty of power tops out at 38mph on an aluminum boat 1860. The problem is I loose power and speed through turns I have to throttle back to keep good contact with water. Also I have issues with the motor skipping in rough water like it’s sucking air slows me way down I have to run the boat really slow for the outboard to intake water. Is this normal it has a tunnel to direct water to the intake. Is this normal for jet drive motors.

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sounds Like it may either be mounted a touch too high or not trimming down quite far enough, which means the angle of the intake to the bottom of the boat (and therefore the water coming out from under the boat) is possibly not aggressive enough at times. We run a Sea Ark with a 80 Mercury Jet outboard at the Water Rescue and are able to do all kinds of maneuvers without cavitation.

Last edited:

Bobber time

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have to run the motor with trim all the way down to plain off as soon as I trim up I loose speed and power. Only one hole left to drop it down. Checked with marine mechanic he said the same thing I guess the mfg of the boat didn’t run it. That’s what I get for buying out of State. Prodigy is the boat builder.

mikef

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
check the mounting height it needs to be 1/4" below the bottom of the boat when the jet is at the angle needed for best performance, this is critical and you cant always use predrilled holes, check with outboard jets web page or call them for the angle, I have called them several times and they are always willing to help