• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to the sx230

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello guys, I just bought my first 2005 SX230 a few days ago and today was the first time I took her out in the water. First problem the scupper valve was bad noticed water leaking into the boat. Pulled out of water and plugged it with a sink plug. Put her back in the water and no more water. So then I noticed a great decrease in engine power a few seconds later on the right side of the engine and the RPM was going higher then the the left engine and the MPH cluster wasn’t working. Took it home and noticed the the clean out plug wasn’t on correctly. Now the two question I have are: 1, will the plug on the scuppler valve effect it if I leave it? 2: would the clean out plug cause the RPMs to go high and loose dramatic amounts of power ?? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sharp looking boat you have there! I suggest that you do a proper replacement of the scupper value with an attwood stainless steel replacement to keep you afloat. The great decrease effect sounds to me like you didn't have a clean out plug properly seated. You may need to rebuild the bottom portion of the plug.

I had issues when I bought my boat with stuck plugs, I was able to get unstuck with a rope and floor jack. Now, each time I'm done boating, out come the plugs and engage the locks to take the pressure off the internal spring mechanism. Part of my launch procedure is to drop the plugs back in and lock them. I haven't had issues with this process in 5 years. Additionally, I haven't rebuilt the bottom parts of the plugs; they fit right in and engage every time.

When the plug is out, you can spin RPMS on the motor and go nowhere. You will also take on water in the bilge; it's scary first time it happens. It happened to me first time on my local lake after dragging the boat from Ocean City MD to Columbus. I had bad thoughts of buyers remorse running thru my head until I reasoned... check the plugs. Reseated both and have been good to go ever since. Another tip... put an inflatable ball in each of the clean out holes. It will reduce the shock if the plugs eject against the hatch. I use a small football and a dog toy and get a laugh each time when I drop them in.

We're here to help! keep us posted.

Thanks
Mark

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sharp looking boat you have there! I suggest that you do a proper replacement of the scupper value with an attwood stainless steel replacement to keep you afloat. The great decrease effect sounds to me like you didn't have a clean out plug properly seated. You may need to rebuild the bottom portion of the plug.

I had issues when I bought my boat with stuck plugs, I was able to get unstuck with a rope and floor jack. Now, each time I'm done boating, out come the plugs and engage the locks to take the pressure off the internal spring mechanism. Part of my launch procedure is to drop the plugs back in and lock them. I haven't had issues with this process in 5 years. Additionally, I haven't rebuilt the bottom parts of the plugs; they fit right in and engage every time.

When the plug is out, you can spin RPMS on the motor and go nowhere. You will also take on water in the bilge; it's scary first time it happens. It happened to me first time on my local lake after dragging the boat from Ocean City MD to Columbus. I had bad thoughts of buyers remorse running thru my head until I reasoned... check the plugs. Reseated both and have been good to go ever since. Another tip... put an inflatable ball in each of the clean out holes. It will reduce the shock if the plugs eject against the hatch. I use a small football and a dog toy and get a laugh each time when I drop them in.

We're here to help! keep us posted.

Thanks
Mark
Mark thanks a lot ! I noticed this today. Remove the oil?

Attachments

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Mark thanks a lot ! I noticed this today. Remove the oil?
That looks like it may have been overfilled with oil at one time. If the filter is saturated, I think it could be time to swap those out. I think they're pricey. While you are at it, suggest changing the oil, replacing the filters and getting new spark plugs. The MR1 motors are very sensitive with the plugs (check the gap) and getting the right oil level is an art/ science. Get an oil extractor to suck out the existing supply and then replace with like.

Get the engines warm on the water, then check the levels and top off as appropriate.

Take comfort, you have a reliable platform here, you just need to work out some kinks. It looks like a great boat.

-Mark

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That looks like it may have been overfilled with oil at one time. If the filter is saturated, I think it could be time to swap those out. I think they're pricey. While you are at it, suggest changing the oil, replacing the filters and getting new spark plugs. The MR1 motors are very sensitive with the plugs (check the gap) and getting the right oil level is an art/ science. Get an oil extractor to suck out the existing supply and then replace with like.

Get the engines warm on the water, then check the levels and top off as appropriate.

Take comfort, you have a reliable platform here, you just need to work out some kinks. It looks like a great boat.

-Mark
I removed two of the plugs and they look good. I’m thinking maybe just do an oil change. So you think I should replace air filters even if they’re not bad?

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

-Mark

Attachments

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I removed two of the plugs and they look good. I’m thinking maybe just do an oil change. So you think I should replace air filters even if they’re not bad?
If they aren’t saturated with oil you should be fine. Spend the bucks and get the plugs. Don’t over tighten them. Hand tight + 1/4 to 1/8 turn is all I use.

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do you know the calibration to them? And any spark plug will do ?

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hello @Hoosiercuts, Welcome aboard! I can't really add much more to the advise you've already been given. All advice is spot on. @mark_m Is exactly right about the MR-1 and spark plugs. I just had to change the ones in my starboard engine because it was running rough, even though I had just put new ones in at the end of last season. The ones I took out still "looked" good but definitely weren't working right.
Also, as a fellow hoosier and being only a couple hours from you. If you run into something that completely stumps you let me know. I'd be happy to try and get up there to give you a hand.

scot71

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Can i

Nice, can I get the plugs at auto zone ?
I usually get them from Advance Auto but I think you can get them from most auto parts stores. The only problem is that they don't always stock 8 of them. So you might have to check around and see how many the stores have on hand.

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I usually get them from Advance Auto but I think you can get them from most auto parts stores. The only problem is that they don't always stock 8 of them. So you might have to check around and see how many the stores have on hand.
Thanks a lot man you’ve been great ! A+

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey scot do you know why my depth meter doesn’t work ? Or speedometer?

mark_m

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey scot do you know why my depth meter doesn’t work ? Or speedometer?
Check the pitot at the rear of the boat, right side I think, by the jet pump. It’s probably flipped up and not capturing the flow.

Depth, same deal. Check out the backside there. In general, you shouldn’t be too nervous about depth. These boats will run in 2’ of water on plane.

Hoosiercuts

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Check the pitot at the rear of the boat, right side I think, by the jet pump. It’s probably flipped up and not capturing the flow.

Depth, same deal. Check out the backside there. In general, you shouldn’t be too nervous about depth. These boats will run in 2’ of water on plane.
Thanks mark !!!

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Run with the filters, then run without them. If there is no difference don't bother changing them. If you do notice a difference in max RPM or max speed change them.

P.S. Do not overfill the oil. That's a very common mistake on MR-1 motors. If you suck out 2.5 quarts replace it with 2.5 quarts. You do not want to see anything above the L mark on the stick of a cold engine and preferably lower. Make sure your boat is sitting level or in the water when you check the oil levels.

Last edited: