• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New to Yamaha!

Jen17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just picked up our Yamaha AR240 last week. This my 2nd boat. First was a Sea Ray 185 so these jet engines are completely new to me. I'm excited about having the ability to navigate more shallow waters but a little nervous about slow speed steering. Any advice?
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Welcome aboard. My prior boat was a Sea Ray 180 with a 135hp outboard, so I feel your concern. The key is practice, practice, practice and practice, especially when no one else is on the water. Once you get the hang of these boats you will love it.

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Congrats! You don't have to worry about beating a prop off of the rocks, but make sure you're careful about going into water that's very shallow. You don't want to pick up rocks and gravel through the impellers. No worries about the slow steering... throw a boat fender out into the water and practice approaching it slowly from every which way you can. If you want, you can always add Cobra Jet Steering or Thrust Vectors for a little more help.

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just picked up our Yamaha AR240 last week. This my 2nd boat. First was a Sea Ray 185 so these jet engines are completely new to me. I'm excited about having the ability to navigate more shallow waters but a little nervous about slow speed steering. Any advice?
Don't go slow

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just kidding of course.....welcome and congrats!

You'll get the hang of it - all you need is seat time. Have a great summer! :cool:

MOA_Chaser

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
There's a good example video of high-speed docking around here somewhere. It's just how we roll.

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard, you chose a very nice boat!

Steering a jet is different. Steering with twin engines is also different. At low speed I use the throttles as much as or more than the steering wheel to steer. If you want to turn right just bump the left throttle a little. If you want to spin in place you can put one throttle in reverse and the other in forward. This takes practice but you will be able to maneuver your new boat better than your old.

If you desire more of a rudder Thrust Vectors are available for the 2015s. I am not sure if Cobra Jet steering is yet.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Sweet looking boat! Welcome aboard!

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Nice boat! Go slow and remember there's no true neutral on these boats. The boat will creep forward in the "neutral" throttle position. If you want to stay in one place you'll have to rock back and forth between neutral and reverse. Just a different technique, you'll get the hang of it with practice!

McMark

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Set the steering wheel so that the keel is straight in line with the boat. Put a mark on the wheel for a frame of reference for slow speed maneuvers. When docking, I just use the motors. Bump up the rpm with the no wake a little. Then put the throttles in tbd. Want to turn left? Put the port engine in neutral. Etc etc. try it. You'll be pleasantly surprised. Once I pull alongside the dock, the mrs ties off the bow cleat. I then turn the wheel into the dock and move the levers to reverse to keep the stern to the dock. Tie off the stern and kill the engines. Practice.

jfkraus

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Adding guide posts to my trailer also helped a lot when putting the boat back on the trailer.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @Jen17 and congrats on the new boat. I know what you mean about the slow speed handling. Adding fins helps a lot. Not 100% necessary, but they're nice and IMHO a must if you plan on letting other people operate your boat. I've found that my bow is very heavy on our boat and that at slow speeds I'm almost "steering the rear end around the the bow". If that makes sense. These boats are moved around quite a bit by the wind so try to account for that too. I tend to shift often from forward to reverse to help with the finer adjustments. Good luck, practice a lot!!!

eggwhite93

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Boat looks great!

Jen17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks guys! I'm excited to get on the water!

bmb5150

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nice boat, looks just like ours & we came from a SeaRay also...:) I agree with all the previous posts. Just get out & practice, practice, practice. You will get use to it & then you will just fall in love with how it handles, but it will take time, enjoy.

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Jen17 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glad you chose to join us here. :Welcome: KILLER good looking boat.

Every trip out on a 2-foot 2015 Yamaha and you'll see something new and exciting about this totally re-designed boat !

Sincere Best Wishes for a great Boating Year !
Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

New Boat 1  - JEN17.jpg

Boat Crazy

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome to the forum. The next best thing to owning your boat. Well! maybe Seeeex is better. First time out, I recommend limiting the amount of people on the boat. It is toooo easy to get distracted and that is when bad things happen. Around the docks go very slow, at least until you get the feel of the controls and then still go slow around the docks after that also. Try not to go out on a windy day your first or second time out. These boats are light and the wind will push these things around pretty bad. Wind and trying to load can be very tricky and very nerve racking. When loading, dip your trailer completely and then pull up until 12-18 inches of your front bunks are showing. This will differ depending on the steepness of your boat ramp. Did I mention, go slow. Recommend if you have not already gotten them to get Tru-Locks or Easy Locks for your inspection plugs. You will be amazed of all the torque these boats have. Get out there, have fun, and congratulations on your new purchase. That thing is fantastic looking. you will get lots of compliments both on and off the water. In case I forgot to mention, take it slow around docks and loading.

Shuck Water

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome!!!

Best advice I can give is once you launch take her out and find a buoy or something in a fixed position and just get the feel of how the boat handles with the jets. Some of the stuff is logical, but others are counter intuitive to what you did when you had an I/O. Driving a jet is based much more on feel versus logic.

PolarXJ

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Congrats on the new boat! Nice color too :winkingthumbsup"