• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New vs Used and very torn looking for advice

Typically, a boat that has bottom paint, has been stored in salt water and not on a lift/trailer. That's what worries me on this particular boat--- especially because it was the owner before the current owner. Salt water storage is not a good thing for our boats but in your state it could have been in brackish water which is much more forgiving.

Things to look for:

Easy turning if wheel

Easy shifting forward and reverse

Impellers -- no big dings and no scrapes on housings

Look for water line inside the engine compartment-- see one? No Bueno

Look for rust corrosion on hose clamps in engine compartment. If you see a lot you may have to re clamp all exhaust and clean out clamps.

Of course check the other parts of the boat for functionality, damage or neglect. If you are still feeling good, take it on a sea trial. This is the single most important thing to do! Bring a GPS to track top speed.

Typically, a boat that has bottom paint, has been stored in salt water and not on a lift/trailer. That's what worries me on this particular boat--- especially because it was the owner before the current owner. Salt water storage is not a good thing for our boats but in your state it could have been in brackish water which is much more forgiving.

Things to look for:

Easy turning if wheel

Easy shifting forward and reverse

Impellers -- no big dings and no scrapes on housings

Look for water line inside the engine compartment-- see one? No Bueno

Look for rust corrosion on hose clamps in engine compartment. If you see a lot you may have to re clamp all exhaust and clean out clamps.

Of course check the other parts of the boat for functionality, damage or neglect. If you are still feeling good, take it on a sea trial. This is the single most important thing to do! Bring a GPS to track top speed.

The current owner told me he spent $2500 replacing cables and other things that had corrosion last year which leads me to believe the same it may have been stored in salt water. Real test I agree will be visual inspection and sea trial. If I buy the boat it will be used a lot in brackish and salt water so a little corrosion wont matter as I'm going to add more to it but I def agree if there are any water lines in the engine compartment its time to walk away. One of the reasons I was looking new its always nice to know the full history of a boat. If it was stored or spent any real serious time in salt more than likely all those clamps will show signs of it. One of my jet skis has corrosion all over those clamps already next year I will probably need to replace them all for safety reasons.

My personal preference on boats, like many others have stated, is to let someone else eat some or most of the depreciation. I really like the 2015 and like what I see of the 2016 E-series even more but I can't stomach the new price tag even though my wallet can afford it. For me I will probably wait a couple of years until the used price gets to my comfort level or when I just find a deal I can't pass up.

FYI - here is a used 2015 Limited S listed for $50,900, http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2015-Yamaha-242-Limited-S-661934 . The one thing that has me a little confused is the first picture, which is a stock picture, which is of black hull boat (tow is black) and other pictures are of a blue hull boat (brushed aluminum window frame and tower also indicates a blue hull).

To me if I can save some money on a toy that means I can buy more toys or travel more.

I wrestled with the new vs used dilemma recently. For me it was the new 2015 212x with its low yamaha financing rate and either $1000 cash back or ext warranty vs a used 2014 212x with 19 hours that was 13k cheaper. I took the used boat. It was a little tough in the beginning because the boat had a few scratches, a few marks on the cushions, and the depth finder function isn't working. But over the last 8 sessions of having the boat despite my most meticulous attempts I have dinged it a couple times on docking and put a few marks on the cushions. I've spilled small amounts of beverages in the boat as well.

It does not take long before a boat is "not new". The 1st boat I bought was a new LS 2000 in the year 2000. It was a thrill those 1st few outings but it quickly got some dings and marks. This boat feels like that one after a few sessions. I feel you have to look at them as "meant to be used". With that perspective saving money is a cool perk of the "used" boat... Let me tell you I have forgotten how much gas these things eat!

I bought a 2012 ar210 with 5 hours on it 2 years ago. While looking at the pictures online, I never noticed it was bottom painted. The boat was three hours away and the guy never told me. When I got there I was a little disappointed about the bottom paint but didn't know much about it and it looked really good so i bought it. Once I got the boat home, I quickly realized it was too small for us. I couldn't give this boat away due to the bottom paint. it was basically a new boat with 10 hours on it. I ended up trading for a new one and didn't lose much money with the tax credit. Huge lesson learned, I would never buy a boat that has been bottom paint unless the intention was to keep in the salt. And we all know these boats shouldn't be stored in the salt water. So with all that being said I would never buy a new boat because of depreciation. Just my two cents

Buy new. It will be years before they redesign. I'm a big advocate of buying new because unlike cars, boats tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to maintenance. Plus the new boat smell is soooooooo good. A boat is never a sound financial decision and frankly you need to get what you like.

Buy new. It will be years before they redesign. I'm a big advocate of buying new because unlike cars, boats tend to get the short end of the stick when it comes to maintenance. Plus the new boat smell is soooooooo good. A boat is never a sound financial decision and frankly you need to get what you like.

This is another factor that steers me to new. Toys are typically the first thing neglected if financial troubles hit. All but one of my 10 or so motorcycles I have purchased were used and usually buy used cars but water toys are different. It's one thing to get stuck on the side of the road it's another to be stuck in the water with no one around lol. As mentioned by others though with the extra 25k would have plenty of room financially to make sure all it right.

10 motorcycles!? jealous. I ride an oilhead BMW. if I neglect, it reminds me. but then its only me with a rough day, I can cope.

boat dies, whole family has crappy time...or worse, on bigger water. :)

10 motorcycles!? jealous. I ride an oilhead BMW. if I neglect, it reminds me. but then its only me with a rough day, I can cope.

boat dies, whole family has crappy time...or worse, on bigger water. :)
Lol 10 different bikes in the last 11 years not currently holding 10 bikes. I buy and sell them every year usually buy when they are cheap in the winter and sell middle to end of summer so far it has worked out very well for me I have always sold them for atleast what I paid for them but usually more.

I was in the same position as you at the start of this year and went with a new 15'. After seeing all the upgrades it was no contest. The biggest difference was the noise, there is a huge improvement so that you can actually talk while underway. Also I didn't want someone else's problems, no matter what anyone says I always believe there is some other "reason" they are selling a toy. All new parts, warranty, getting exactly what you want and not what someone else wanted is worth it to me especially if you're going to keep it a long time. That is a great price for a new AR, at the start of the year it was MSRP with no discounts at all.

So checked out the used one today and it had some good and bad. The bottom paint is terrible and would need to be removed. Was a salt water boat so there were some small signs of rust on the rear ladder and a few spots on the boat. Rear deck hydro turf needs replaced but worst is he left it uncovered over the last few weeks and now interior needs a whole lot of elbow grease to get back to right. Overal with some other items needed my best guess is 3k to get the boat back to right so I will keep shopping and see if I can find something in better shape or buy new in February. Thanks for the input though guys.

Back