• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New With Newbie Towing Questions

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Purchased my first ever truck about a year ago, 2019 Ram Rebel with 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 gears. Now I’m looking into purchasing my first ever boat, so I have some new guy questions about towing.

Based upon what I’ve read on here it seems like a 1/2 ton shouldn’t have much trouble towing an AR240 (dream boat). My Ram has a Payload of 1568 lbs and a tow rating north of 10,000 lbs.

My truck does not have a trailer brake controller and I’m curious if I need one? I’m pretty sure the truck will tow without problem, just want to know the truck will be able to STOP! Lol.

Also what type of hitch is recommended or is that dependent on the truck/trailer combo?

If there is anything else to consider when towing a boat for the first time, please don’t hesitate to enlighten me. Everyone on the forum has been very informative and kind. Thanks to all!

Dan B

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Your trailer may have surge breaks so break module won’t be an issue. May.... but of course if you do need one there’s a plug in under your dash for one. Check with your dealer/seller first about the trailer and surge breaks before just going out to buy a module. I’ve towed quite a bit with my 5.7 hemi and it was a beast ! No issues towing full capacity at all ! As far as hitch. Standard Reese hitch will be fine for a boat. No need for weight distribution types.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Welcome! Lots of threads on here on how to set up your truck to tow. Careful about factory tow ratings... those are often misleading when you factor in tongue weight and GVWR per axle. Boat, gear, and passenger weight add up quick. For your hitch just make sure your trailer is level— I use a 2” drop for my F-150. I had heard the Rams sag when under a load. May be something to look at although I have no personal experience.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Purchased my first ever truck about a year ago, 2019 Ram Rebel with 5.7 Hemi, 4x4, 3.92 gears. Now I’m looking into purchasing my first ever boat, so I have some new guy questions about towing.

Based upon what I’ve read on here it seems like a 1/2 ton shouldn’t have much trouble towing an AR240 (dream boat). My Ram has a Payload of 1568 lbs and a tow rating north of 10,000 lbs.

My truck does not have a trailer brake controller and I’m curious if I need one? I’m pretty sure the truck will tow without problem, just want to know the truck will be able to STOP! Lol.

Also what type of hitch is recommended or is that dependent on the truck/trailer combo?

If there is anything else to consider when towing a boat for the first time, please don’t hesitate to enlighten me. Everyone on the forum has been very informative and kind. Thanks to all!
A couple of things I do/don't do.
Don't let anyone help when securing the boat on the trailer, do everything yourself - the only way to go.
Make sure the bow is sitting in tight in the bow stop, and the stern tie downs are secured, do the "5mph stop" if needed to tuck the boat in.
Some of the 190s come with breaks but not all models. If they come with, those a surge breaks, no controller needed.
There is a couple things about the coupler that you may want to know, you can find it elsewhere here. Same with electric connections. May or may not need an adapter depending on the compatibility of your plug with the harness on the trailer.
Some states require single axle trailers to have brakes, some don't. You'll be OK either way with your truck.
Of course brakes don't hurt, if maintained.
If you are in salt water that's a different discussion altogether, regarding maintenance.
As far as trailer hitch, I replaced all my trailer hitches with one which is called white something, I would never go back. It is fully adjustable and can be flipped, with two sized balls, it's amazing.
I would also pay attention to the trailer jack, shorelandr trailer jack is pretty crappy.

--

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had two Ram's, towed a lot with both of them. Ram's use Coil springs, that sag a lot under load, which causes the headlight to aim up more and could cause handling issues. The Boat by itself shouldn't cause that big of squat if loaded properly (low tongue weight). For me the issue was if I loaded up the bed and was towing something. To help, I put in airbags in the rear coils. Was a fairly easy DIY project and resolved any squatting. The latest vehicle has auto leveling, which is a nice feature.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have had two Ram's, towed a lot with both of them. Ram's use Coil springs, that sag a lot under load, which causes the headlight to aim up more and could cause handling issues. The Boat by itself shouldn't cause that big of squat if loaded properly (low tongue weight). For me the issue was if I loaded up the bed and was towing something. To help, I put in airbags in the rear coils. Was a fairly easy DIY project and resolved any squatting. The latest vehicle has auto leveling, which is a nice feature.
Yep. Same here with Toyota landcruiser, air bags are awesome for leveling the truck, I carry a bike pump - takes no time to adjust pressure to load.

--

ZGhost

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
If your trailer is equipped with surge brakes, it’s not clear to me why you need another module in the truck? Your surge brakes actuator equipped on your trailer would activate the brakes when there is hard braking. Also, your trailer plug has one connector that connects to the reverse light on your truck trailer connector socket so when reversing uphill you don’t activate the brakes via the surge actuator. Maybe I’m missing something in your Q?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Isn’t the Rebel the one with the off road set up? In that case you might want to check that your trailer is level when it is hooked up.
As far as the brakes go most likely you will have siege brakes. If you have no brakes at all, I would seriously consider hydronic over electric. I switched mine almost a year ago ($2k) and the difference is noticeable. Originally I was thinking about upgrading the brakes on my truck , but after the new brakes on the trailer I safe. As matter of fact, now if I go on 4.5+ gain I feel the trailer stops the truck. It is an amazing experience to have your head jolt forward from braking while towing!!!!

recently I had to tow @Scottintexas 240 from my house to his house. His boat has the surge brakes. I noticed that I do not miss the surge brakes disengaging when you start from a traffic light.

I am planing on making separate post for this , but in short I would say “ is $2k worth it? I am not sure! Would I rather spend the $2k on the brake upgrade over a new stereo? Absolutely.”

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Do you have a link for the air suspension kit you used by chance? I’ve heard they were a bit pricey.

Patman941

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thank you!

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a 2012 RAM 1500 5.7 with the coil springs and towed a 8000lbs RV trailer with 800 tongue weight and got zero sag. I now have a Ram 2500 2017 with coil springs in the back and I can tow and load up the bed (8 foot) without sag. You guys must be really loading up the bed to make it sag. I would go to a CAT scale just to see what type of weight you are really carrying.

ctyke

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had a 2012 RAM 1500 5.7 with the coil springs and towed a 8000lbs RV trailer with 800 tongue weight and got zero sag. I now have a Ram 2500 2017 with coil springs in the back and I can tow and load up the bed (8 foot) without sag. You guys must be really loading up the bed to make it sag. I would go to a CAT scale just to see what type of weight you are really carrying.
I've moved on from the RAM's so I can't weigh those anymore. Both of mine were CrewCabs with the short beds, not sure if that makes a difference. What pushed me to get the bags was putting my ATV (along with ice fishing gear) in the back. At night people would flash their high beams at me all the time.

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
I have a 2015 Ram 2500 with coil springs and no bags and I tow 10k lbs regularly with no sag.

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I've moved on from the RAM's so I can't weigh those anymore. Both of mine were CrewCabs with the short beds, not sure if that makes a difference. What pushed me to get the bags was putting my ATV (along with ice fishing gear) in the back. At night people would flash their high beams at me all the time.
My 1500 was crew cab short bed, my 17 is long bed crew cab. Here is a picture. I think I get a 1/2" of sag. Not sure how much the quad weighs but the SxS is 1400lbs and 500lbs of tongue weight.

IMG_0253.JPG

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Here is a link to some recommended adjustable ball mounts. Hitch thread

Stevepro172

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Here is the hitch I have for my RAM, not cheap but it will be the only hitch you will need unless you go 5th wheel or need weight distribution system.

I can second that. I have this same hitch and it's awesome.

WestMIJet

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
These are all good choices. Watch the weight rating on ball mounts. Many of the cheaper single ball mounts have a 5000 - 6000 lb rating which is not enough for a 240 or 242.