• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

New York City - Midtown

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
To all my fellow boaters -

I'm taking the family to NYC in a few weeks and would greatly appreciate some recommendations for those great local spots to eat and "off-the-beaten-path" places to visit.
We already have our touristy destinations planned; Top of the Rock, Statue of Liberty, and (momma insisted) Broadway (King Kong).
We're staying near Bryant Park and have been looking for great places to eat nearby, or near our destinations.
So far I've found: The Counter, Black Iron Burger, Don Antonio pizza, and Bierhaus.

We'd like to visit Little Italy, or China Town but don't know the areas or more importantly what areas to avoid.

Any suggestions from locals or those who know the area?

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To all my fellow boaters -

I'm taking the family to NYC in a few weeks and would greatly appreciate some recommendations for those great local spots to eat and "off-the-beaten-path" places to visit.
We already have our touristy destinations planned; Top of the Rock, Statue of Liberty, and (momma insisted) Broadway (King Kong).
We're staying near Bryant Park and have been looking for great places to eat nearby, or near our destinations.
So far I've found: The Counter, Black Iron Burger, Don Antonio pizza, and Bierhaus.

We'd like to visit Little Italy, or China Town but don't know the areas or more importantly what areas to avoid.

Any suggestions from locals or those who know the area?
Little Italy and China town are cool place to visit during the warmer months but in December or January I have found there isn't much going on and I would honestly just skip them and save that for a visit during a warmer month. One thing I have been trying to do is the Hard Hat tour of Ellis Island but the last few times I have gone up its been sold out I would check that out if you can. Restaurants are a tough one everything changes so fast up there that its hard to keep up with.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Little Italy and China town are cool place to visit during the warmer months but in December or January I have found there isn't much going on and I would honestly just skip them and save that for a visit during a warmer month
Thanks man I appreciate it. The wife booked the Ellis Island trip.. not sure what level she booked. All I know is that the "Crown level" was already sold out.
Last year we just took the Staten Island ferry to see the Lady.. this year I want to get up close and personal.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The hard hat tour includes a behind the scenes tour of the old buildings on the island that have traditionally been off limits.

Statue-Tour-8a-250167.jpg

mpbassett44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Make sure to head up to Central Park!!...High end Steak House, "Peter Lugar" in Brooklyn or "Del Frisco's Double Eagle Steak House" near the Rockefeller Center....Budget food, "Shake Shack" is awesome! They are a burger joint that has recently started expanding...Yelp is your best friend in New York!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Shake Shack looks good @mpbassett44 , thanks for the lead.
I 'm also downloading the Yelp app as we speak. Not something I believe I've ever used in my local area.

mpbassett44

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Without yelp in a city that big, you'll get lost! You are staying in a great location. Bryant Park is a nice area. Plus you're right in the middle of everything!...Don't forget the 9/11 Memorial and museum! That is a must see!!

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Yes that place is great! We went during our trip last year. However the wife only made it about half way through and said she had to go... "it's just too sad" she said.

I guess my intrigue comes from my years as a first responder... what an amazing job by all the responding teams.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Last but not least, lolol:
:D:D:D

Or at least check the regulations, your magazines for capacity to comply. The NYPD aren’t playing.

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Oh GOD YES!!! Hell since we're flying I don't even bring a pocket knife.

But yet it's ok to bring my survival bracelet -- which has a fire starter in it. :banghead:

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Has anyone ever been to the Jekyll & Hyde restaurant in NYC?

https://www.jekyllandhydeclub.com/

Looking to go here after a day visiting Battery Park and the Statue of Liberty. The food looks good and the atmosphere sure seems to be entertaining enough!

AlphaKap

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
There is a show on Viceland channel called "F*ck, That's Delicious" and they go to a lot of interesting food spots in NY. The guy is a rapper but used to be a professional chef. I regret not making a list from there before my last trip.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I recommend the holiday carols cruise around NYC on a 1920's style yacht. My wife and I did this a few years ago and it's really nice. They have a live jazz band on the boat playing Christmas music and the boat has a small bar on it. Really neat to see the lights and city from the water at night.

https://www.sail-nyc.com/browse-by-theme/holiday-cruises/

Last edited:

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Man that looks awesome @MattFX4.

Thanks bud!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not impressed with the food options in Manhattan and near to tourist areas. I always worked near to Times Square or Wall Street and i've had food poisoning many times in those areas. The only exception is the Winter Village at Bryant Park. There are some small stands there and I love the empanadas (curry chicken!!), toparepa (arepas with topping), and the wafels and dinges (go big and get the waffle with banana, strawberry, nutella etc but prepare to split with someone!). During the Summer the Winter Village leaves and you can get a beer in the middle of the park and enjoy the outdoors. Good for a cheap date.

The great thing about NYC it's a ethnically diverse city. Your taste buds can travel the world in this city and meet people from all over the world. And the subway will get you there quickly.

Greek food? Astoria. I can never remember the names of these places. Just look in Google for best reviews. I love the cheesecake at Martha's Country Bakery. Omonia Cafe for baklava

Asian food? Chinatown. I'm not a fan of asian food with the exception of Thai food. You can find Thai in Jackson Heights/Woodside. I don't like the Japanese restaurants I went to. It's delicious, but the portions are expensive and baby-sized.

Colombian food? Jackson Heights. I joke that this area is a latin country within NYC. So many places to chose from. Order bandeja tipica if you want to try it all! "Margaritas" is a good place, but prepare that they will greet you in spanish. That means you found where the locals eat.

Peruvian food? Also jackson heights. I like a good jalea, ceviche, and pisco sour. There's a place in Greenpoint that I hear is great. I typically get Peruvian food near my home in Long Island so my expertise is limited here.

Italian food? I think Brooklyn or Upper West Side. Or take the path train over to NJ for Italian food at Blue Eyes on the water. That is Frank Sinatra's hometown in Hoboken and the restaurant is named for him. Hoboken also has some cheaper options and isn't far from downtown manhattan. I lived in this city for a while and there are many places to get a burger and beer. "Wicked Wolf Tavern" is a cheap place by the water.

Eastern european food? You can find 2 biergartens local to NYC. One is Pilsener in Hoboken, NJ (the Sauerbraten is amazing!) and the other is in Astoria "Bohemian Hall". I only ordered grill stuff here, but was good. This is a great place to bring your kids on nice days to hang outside.

Long Island City has a nice park along the water. I usually start at the latin restaurant Blend on the Water, go for a walk, and then final destination at a Thai ice cream place "Something Sweet LIC"

So after writing this little guide. I'm thinking it's amazing that I maintain my weight.

EDIT: Almost forgot! There is "Capital Grille" at Wall Street. It's a little expensive, but I enjoyed my lunch there. Lobster roll, truffle fries, and the cheesecake.

Last edited:

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@MBalducci1990 brother I couldn't appreciate you more for all that local information! I will definitely be keeping this in mind for our next trip.

We visited NYC mid December and LOVED the pop up shops at Bryant park! Great food. My family can't get enough of the hot chocolate and the mini donuts from Doughnutry!!

We ate a lot at a local deli and stopped twice at Shake Shack (thanks to a lead from @mpbassett44 )

Also found a great Greek food truck just outside of Central Park at 62nd and Madison. Tony Dragon's Grille Tony Dragon’s Grille - Upper East Side - New York, NY

We also enjoyed a pizza joint that's just east of Bryant Park, on the other side of the Library. Stone Bridge Pizza & Salad

Really the only two bad places we ate at were: a themed restaurant called Jekyll and Hyde's, and (believe it or not) the Ruth Chris on 51st.

It was a great trip.... minus the flu I caught the day we left. Yeah that was an ass kicker!

I_squared_r

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
@Bennie anytime!

Bryant Park is lesser known because Rockefeller Centre is the de facto spot for ice skating. And it's better that way. Did you do the ice skating? I had family that visited and they didn't want to wait for the ice skating.

I thought Shake Shack was a national chain that was nationally known for amazing burgers. Good @mpbassett44 had suggested it! I sure wouldn't had thought to suggest it.

I have an unpopular opinion about Manhattan pizza.. But I think the pizza is best near my home in Long Island! Only 20 miles away in the suburbs we are best known for Italian people. Where all the Italian Brooklynites went when they got married and had kids. The Manhattan pizza has become too "artisanal" for me.

Also I dislike the newer places that have the rustic look, only IPA beers, and narrow plates with small and expensive bites. I'm a simple guy so I get annoyed when they tell me they only have craft IPA's. Give me a Corona or a Yuengling.

I'm glad you and your family enjoyed NYC. Next time if you're looking for more adventure, you can check out the other restaurants that I suggested. It's my favorite thing about NYC, if you want to eat Greek food, then go to a Greek restaurant in Queens. I've been to places that all the conversations are in Greek!

Last edited:

Bennie

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Give me a Corona or a Yuengling.
AMEN! Thankfully this place was a nice brick oven kind of place with some cold Strongbow in the cooler.
(I've learned to like a good apple cider with certain meals) (Strongbow/Angry Orchard)

Other than big fast food joints down here we only have Five Guys..... and man do I LOOOOVE those burgers!

Last edited: