• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie from overseas

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Welcome tonschaa.
Please note that the 212X in that advertisement does not have 1.8 liter engines as declared but the 1052cc MR-1 engines. Both engines are reliable.

tonschaa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi @tonschaa welcome. I'm from the UK and the dealer Bruce pointed out is my local dealer and Chap main agent. Great guys and very helpful, just ask for Neville (owner) or Ryan. They've sold tons of Chaparral Jet boats this year, but the locals here are not familiar with jets and have been moaning and groaning, but they'll get over it. I know he ships to the EU so I'm sure he can help, but I also realise the Euro to Pound exchange rate is not in your favour ATM.
Hi Britboater,
Chaparral dealers are well present overhere as well. As far as I know they don`t sell the jetdrives for the time being.
I want to visit one this week to gather some information.
Besides that, I really prefer the Yamaha models up until now.
Luckilly it`s raining all day long and boating season is over, time is my friend.... ;)

tonschaa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome tonschaa.
Please note that the 212X in that advertisement does not have 1.8 liter engines as declared but the 1052cc MR-1 engines. Both engines are reliable.
Thanks! Good thing to know what you are selling I would say to the dealer....
Those 1052cc engines have to make lots of revs in order to perform I would think?
That means they are noisy?

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Those 1052cc engines have to make lots of revs in order to perform I would think?
That means they are noisy?
They have a higher pitched tone than the 1.8 liter engines in newer boats. The 2015+ 240 and 242 models have sound deadening installed. Otherwise they are noisy boats. Many owners install insulation on the own to reduce sound levels.

Here is a review that I believe to be the same model with sound level readings on the test results tab http://www.boattest.com/oem/403/boats/1914/0/on/640x360

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @tonschaa - or is it "Mr. 3000"?

Heading your way on the 9th of next month to visit our son who's in Amsterdam for work for "a year or so". (He's already made noise about getting his company to let him stay longer since he's having so much fun there.)

Aside from ease of maintenance, reliability, and the safety of no prop (and the related shallow water ability) one pleasant surprise I've found is the relatively good fuel economy for the Yamaha 1.8s. (I'm afraid to ask how much gas would be there at a marina... To think I was annoyed to pay US$1.00 per liter because it was selling for US$0.61 per liter at the local gas station!). Here's a spreadsheet I did when we were looking last spring out of curiosity and concern about rumors that jet boats (particularly Yamahas) were noisy and thirsty because of two engines. On the minus side, something I've learned is that Yamahas are NOT happy in 3'/1m waves...

Good luck with your search/decision.

Attachments

njmr2fan

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard Mr. 3000! You'll love this place! :Welcome:

I vote we should all know what number we are!

tonschaa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @tonschaa - or is it "Mr. 3000"?

Heading your way on the 9th of next month to visit our son who's in Amsterdam for work for "a year or so". (He's already made noise about getting his company to let him stay longer since he's having so much fun there.)

Aside from ease of maintenance, reliability, and the safety of no prop (and the related shallow water ability) one pleasant surprise I've found is the relatively good fuel economy for the Yamaha 1.8s. (I'm afraid to ask how much gas would be there at a marina... To think I was annoyed to pay US$1.00 per liter because it was selling for US$0.61 per liter at the local gas station!). Here's a spreadsheet I did when we were looking last spring out of curiosity and concern about rumors that jet boats (particularly Yamahas) were noisy and thirsty because of two engines. On the minus side, something I've learned is that Yamahas are NOT happy in 3'/1m waves...

Good luck with your search/decision.

Thanks for your spreadsheets, every bit of info helps. The cost of gas is a major issue in my decissionmaking. At the moment it will cost me around 350 bucks to fill up (50 gallons).
I guess you all know that feeling that you are "selling" something to yourself by justifiying all costs. Having fun on the water with your family goes far beyond the costs of a boat and gas ;)

When in Amsterdam I can give you a tour and buy you a Heineken (or 2). Let me know

atkinse

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome, I live in the desert here in the UAE. Same issue we have here with dealer support. I do find that being able to do most your own maintenance does help. If not it is never a bad ideal to learn how to maintain your boat. That way you can always get yourself sorted if you run into trouble.

On that note I have found that the jetski market here is huge and that many of the parts fit our boats. It just takes a bit of research to find what you are looking for. The rest I order online from the States with very good experiences from all the vendors I have dealt with.

You will love the boat, do it and have fun.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard and congrats on being our 3000th member! Sorry I am late to the party, but better late than never! You will love the maintenance ease and cost, as well as the economy of operation. Of course it depends on how you operate your boat activity wise. For us, a tank of gas lasts for many weekends, as we cruise 5 to 10 miles and then anchor for most of the day, then the distance back. But if you cruise continuously or are doing water sports all day, you can go through the fuel faster. But at cruise power settings, these boats sip fuel slowly. Just wanted to welcome you and let you know that the membership here has a wealth of knowledge about the operation, upgradeability, and maintenance of these boats. I know dealer support would swing you toward a chap, but the vast overall knowledge base is Yamaha...strickly because of how long these boats have been a market dominator. Yamaha outsells boats in the US 3 to 1 over the nearest competitor, so the membership at this point certainly knows their stuff about them over the other models...but that could change in time. Once again, welcome to the forum!

rkluck

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome and I hope you can find the boat you want. I know you will get lots of support from this site!