• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Newbie from overseas

tonschaa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi all!
My name is Tony, 45 years of age, married, 3 children in the age of 7, 10 and 12 and we live in The Netherlands Europe.
It`s a very small, flat country with lot`s of water, lakes, rivers and the Nothern sea.
Boating is rather popular overhere, mostly sailing and riverboats.
The climate is a bit simular to the NY/Washington DC area I suppose.

Most of our summer holidays we spend in France, Italy and Spain. In the Alps (like the Rocky Mountains but smaller) there are beautiful lakes you can boat on.

Currently we own a small rubber boat with a 15hp outboard, but we want to ugrade!
After searching the internet, Ebay and Craigslist, the idea of a jetboat is appealing.
Jetboats however don`t exist at all overhere.
Hopefully with my purchase that changes ;-)

Yamaha doesn`t have dealerships in Europe for their boats. There are a few "agencies" which can help with importing one from the US, or, I can do it myself of course.
Chaparral has several dealerships, but up until now they don`t sell the jetboats.

I hope I can learn from you guys and you`ll guide me in our search of a nice boat.
For the time being the 212X is my favourite, although a bit expensive. With import, taxes, freight etc, the total purchase will be 65K in Euros......

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Welcome and good luck with your boat finding and transporting efforts.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Welcome aboard.

I fly through Amsterdam on my way over to the middle east a few times a year. I keep saying I'm going to extend my layover for a week there and have my wife come over. One day I will actually do it.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Welcome to the Forum and good luck!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Welcome aboard @tonschaa glad to have you join in all of our fun. I'm pretty sure that a couple of members have had boats imported to other countries of the past few years. Wishing you a smooth finding and importing of your next boat. I would love to see pics of your lakes and waterways too.

tonschaa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks all! I`m all over the forum to find all the answers for my questions, mostly about the maintenance....
I guess I would have to do most things by myself, regarding the lack of proper dealers overhere.
But hey, that`s not a bad thing I would say.
How about this for a nice lake to boat on....
IMG_0744.JPG

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

What lake do you boat on? We had a great time with an electric boat on Das Bodensee.

We have several members from the UK. I wonder if you could import a boat from there with less hassle although the purchase price is likely to be higher.

What are the import duties and VAT on importing a boat from the U.S.? Are they less or different on a used boat? You might be able to put a Yamaha on its side in a shipping container.

Maintenance on a jet boat is easy. For Yamaha you should be able to find the oil filters anywhere that sells motorcycle parts. The annual maintenance is simply an oil and spark plug change.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Here is a used 212x in the UK.

tonschaa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Bodensee is a nice lake in southern Germany although a bit crowdy from time to time. The pic was taken in Annecy. This lake is in France in the Alps.
UK I did not check, but is in driving distance, so that might be a interesting option.
VAT normally is paid on new good. On used goods the VAT is already paid by the first owner.
Import duties nevertheless are close to 20% as I can remember. Freight costs are about 5K.
And last but not least, the trailer and boat have to have an european homologation. Costs of that I don`t know yet.

Bruce, do you have a link of this 212X? Much obliged!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome!

Looks like a beautiful place to boat!

Good luck with your search.

I wouldn't worry about maintenance too much. If you have even minimal mechanical skills, this group should be able to help you through just about any problem. (To be honest, you're better off not relying on the dealer anyway. You can do things yourself quicker and cheaper.)

Britboater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Hi @tonschaa welcome. I'm from the UK and the dealer Bruce pointed out is my local dealer and Chap main agent. Great guys and very helpful, just ask for Neville (owner) or Ryan. They've sold tons of Chaparral Jet boats this year, but the locals here are not familiar with jets and have been moaning and groaning, but they'll get over it. I know he ships to the EU so I'm sure he can help, but I also realise the Euro to Pound exchange rate is not in your favour ATM.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Where are you at in The Netherlands? My wife and I lived in England for 6.5 years. I often contracted for Phillips in Eindhoven and visited Amsterdam and Rotterdam many times.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome aboaerd @tonschaa. Nice pic of you and 2 of your children. Your choice of a jet boat with children of those ages is wise from a safety perspective. Be advised you are very welcome here weather you buy a jet boat or keep your rubber dingy. As much a fan as I am of the Yamaha jet boat I might suggest you buy a jet boat that can be serviced locally. The jet boats, as a class, are very easy to maintain but there are occasions where you may need the assistance of a dealer especially if you purchase a new boat. Your children will derive education and much fun from family boating so dive in. We, at this site, will help you to enjoy your experience. Just keep the pictures of the smiling kids coming as that's what it's all about.

Last edited:

tonschaa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all your reactions!
Bruce, We live in the Eindhoven region and most of my neighbors have a history with Philips.
Me myself work for an American companie located on the shores of lake Michigan, Racine.

The main reason to choose for a jet driven boat, is the fact that it should be low and easy maintenance, besides a fair price to buy the boat AND to drive the boat.
I have a friend with an old Bayliner with a 5ltr V8 which never starts despite the annual service of 750,- !

I believe you don`t pay import duties within Europe, so UK is a serious option.

tonschaa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oeh, nice one!
Normally I only have to pick it up in change of some cash for this one.
No import duties, VAT or something else.
Price is 23K in euros which seems like a fair price for a 2008.
The price is perhaps a little high for the US. But it is so much less than buying in the US then paying for shipping and import taxes.

The boat appears to be in good condition. If she checks out mechanically then I think she could be a great buy for you.

You can handle all of the relatively simple maintenance needs. There are plenty of members here who could talk you through it.

Did you know that you were our 3,000th member? I will send you a flag and some koozies to use on your current or future boat.

tonschaa

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The price is perhaps a little high for the US. But it is so much less than buying in the US then paying for shipping and import taxes.

The boat appears to be in good condition. If she checks out mechanically then I think she could be a great buy for you.

You can handle all of the relatively simple maintenance needs. There are plenty of members here who could talk you through it.

Did you know that you were our 3,000th member? I will send you a flag and some koozies to use on your current or future boat.
Jihaaaaaa!!!! Can't wait to ride our new boat with a original authentic jetboat flag!