• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

No start

X-17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
120XR will not start. I have spark at the plugs. Fuel pump pumps fuel. Starter runs at good speed. But there is not even a cough. There is a whiff of fuel smell from the carbs when a put my nose right up to it.

The only thing I can think of is that the fuel is old and contaminated? The fixed tank has not been drained in quite a few years. The engine has not run for a year. The fuel level is low. But would not even bad fuel give a few coughs and splutters?

X-17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I should add that I have checked the carburetters and replaced a couple of the reeds.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Could easily be the fuel. id start by draining and refilling.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Give it a quick shot of starting fluid if it fires up for a few seconds you know it is fuel related.

X-17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It was indeed bad fuel. With fresh fuel straight out of a can it started immediately and idled perfectly.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
another mystery solved