• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

BoaterBee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Happy Friday to those reading today!

Happy (fill in the blank day) to those reading any other time... we are new to boating and are getting are gear ready for our first time out. Can anyone tell me what knot this is and if so, if you know how to tie it that would be great too!! I have been looking online but the searches I have been putting in just don't find this particular knot. I know, I know, maybe if my searches didn't include such things as: how to become a millionaire, what's the best way to retire today, What to cook for dinner tonight... I might not have to come to you fine folks for HELP!! Here is a pic or two, any info would be appreciated. ;) I hope you all have a GREAT weekend unless you don't read this until Sunday night, then I hope your week goes by super fast so you can get back out on the water

Attachments

RightStuff

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have always heard that one called a 'Loop to Loop' knot. Might have other names though too...

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, essentially it's a square knot

IMG_0745.JPG

However, if your joining two ropes together that have a loop or bite on each end you would slide one looped end of the first rope through the opened looped end of the other. Then pass that end loop over the end of the first rope and slide it all the way down the rope. That's the best way I can explain it, sorry. It literally would take a second to show you, but over a 1000 words to explain it clearly. Maybe search it on YouTube.

GoVols01

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Watch youtube videos for learning how to tie knots. Also, if this is your first boat, youtube has a ton of very helpful videos that'll teach you everything from boating rules, trailering tips, anchoring tips, docking tips, etc...

BoaterBee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, essentially it's a square knot

View attachment 57854

However, if your joining two ropes together that have a loop or bite on each end you would slide one looped end of the first rope through the opened looped end of the other. Then pass that end loop over the end of the first rope and slide it all the way down the rope. That's the best way I can explain it, sorry. It literally would take a second to show you, but over a 1000 words to explain it clearly. Maybe search it on YouTube.
Square knot was what I was looking for it was the loops that threw me for a loop!

BoaterBee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Watch youtube videos for learning how to tie knots. Also, if this is your first boat, youtube has a ton of very helpful videos that'll teach you everything from boating rules, trailering tips, anchoring tips, docking tips, etc...
Yes, we have been watching videos and finding as much info as we ca, before the big splash...thanks to everyone for your help! Still can't quite get use to no propellers on a boat!!

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Perfect timing. I was just surfing youtube looking for the best way to connect two anchorlines. I have a 100 foot anchor line now, and would like to double it. Any suggestions for the best knot to connect the two or should I just go buy a 200' line?

BlackandTan

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Perfect timing. I was just surfing youtube looking for the best way to connect two anchorlines. I have a 100 foot anchor line now, and would like to double it. Any suggestions for the best knot to connect the two or should I just go buy a 200' line?
Well I posted that too quickly. Just found this: http://www.boatingmag.com/how-to-construct-anchor-rode. Now I need to figure out how to tie the loop to loop knot that they show!

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'd use a figure eight follow through.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You don't want to use a square knot for anything important, when it is slack the knot can come loose,

if you don't know them, learn two half hitches, bowline and truckers hitch and you'll cover most of what you'll ever need, I didn't learn until I was an adult (the Scoutmaster!) but it comes in handy on the boat,

BoaterBee

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

2nazt

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Tidewater
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You can join the two lines using a figure eight bend( or follow through as @itsdgm said, but a bend is usually two lines as a follow through would be the same line depending on the documents you use lol) tie a simple overhand knot as a safety to each at the outside to be safe and you would be set.

fireflymedic

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Sheet bend knot will connect 2 ropes and not tighten up like the square knot

eticket

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I put an app on my phone called Grog Knot, all the knots you need with step by step animations.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Reviving this thread, Here are a few links for information on knot tying. The first link is to a 3yo thread here https://jetboaters.net/threads/know-your-knots.4047/ the second is an article called "what is the strongest knot?" http://www.yachtingmonthly.com/sailing-skills/strongest-sailing-knot-30247 Tests breaking points of different knots and lines, yacht braid and 3 strand twisted. Good information. We keep a "practice" line at home, 3 strand, to practice splicing and knot tying. Because if we, wife and I, do not practice over the off season we will probably forget some of them.
20171120_141934.jpg 3-strand eye splice20171120_142802.jpg Bowline on the other end. I know...there is an app for that, but I do not want to drop the phone in the water. And besides, I do not want to be looking up the knot when I should have had it tied already. Something to do at night while watching hockey by the wood stove. Cheap entertainment.