• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

octane Booster

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Mornin Y'all,

Was wondering if anyone on this forum has any input ( LOL I know right LOL) on BOOSTane products?

One of the gripes I'm having with the new 255XD is the need for 91oct fuel. Not an issue on land going to the lakes but once on the lake is a different story. It's More difficult to find than I expected. After this last lake trip I've decided to grab some octane booster and have it onboard so I don't have to stress about the Octane ratings at the marines.

I did some research and bought a few bottle of BOOSTane Marine.

Anyone used them or have any input?

Preciate it.

Just note that octane boosters do NOT typically boost enough. The point system you commonly see on bottles is 1/10th of a octane number system. So +3 octane booster boosts your tank by 0.3 in octane level world. That's assuming you put the right amount for the size of your tank.

I once calculated it and for a smallish tank like mine, 75L, I needed something like 18 bottles from the local hardware store to boost it acceptably to the next octane level at the gas pump. Just isn't worth it.

There are race grade boosters that exist too apparently. So if you're getting that... maybe? But I'd do some more research on what you're actually getting and how much you actually need to increase your octane levels reasonably.

Well, I thought I had done some research but for-@$!k-sake… so frustrated

Thanks

Assuming this is the product: BOOSTane Marine | BOOSTane Canada

Super unclear as usual for octane boosters. Boosts by 116 points? WTF does that mean? lol but in the bullet points it says "23 numbers"? What?

I don't know anything about your engine... but many engines can operate just fine at lower octane levels. Are you certain you need 91 in yours? Somebody with Yamaha experience can chime in here. But otherwise, check your actual manual. There are many myths on octane levels.

@Luc Lafreniere

Yea that's the product... I laughed at those numbers too but got into the weeds of things and realized I'm only going to 91. Not street racing octanes. The app and calculator seemed legit to get it back up to 91.

Unfortunately the SVHO engines in the Yamaha recommend 91min oct for the superchargers versus regular 86min for the NA 1.8L engines I was use to...

So does the 250HP engines on the Rotax side... BUT it also states in the manual you can run on 87 just fine. You just won't get the full performance. But it won't break the engine. The Rotax 300HP is a different story though... both are supercharged but the 300HP requires premium octane fuel.

"Recommended" is also the word they use in the manual... but the chart clearly indicates you can use regular 87 in that case too.

Inland lake are a little different on fuel..........the marinas on water hear in Florida only serve up 90 so its not an issue......lot of performance boat down hear.

You are just going to haft to carry boostane and some way to measure for the amount of fuel add. I know the youngster hate us old guys talking about the good old days..............but back then you could knock off about 6 digresses off advance timing curve(distributor) lowering cyl pressure and no need for high octane fuel.
It did knock about 40hp off my Merc engine but it ran great on 87 with no need of a octane booster.

LOL old guys!!!!!!

Back