• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

off power steering importance

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I am posting this video that I made 5 years ago in a 24 foot Yamaha It is important to state that this boat hull was prior to the keel and rudder style that Yamaha makes now and that the hull was even more difficult to handle in off power steering than the new boats with the keel, also this test was done using just the cobra steering NO FANGS OR MEGA FANGS, just the steering!
I talk about the importance of having off power control but I am posting this for the newer jet boat peoples benefit.
Remember this is a larger boat than the 21 foot that was videoed loosing control in a turn while decelerating, this has even more centrifugal force that the smaller boat so it would want to cut out of the turn quicker making it more difficult to hold in a off power turn and to add insult to injury we tested the ability of the steering to turn in an off power situation by cutting the throttles BEFORE turning , NOW Think of that, we had to overcome the boat wanting to continue to travel straight And we were going 50 mph before cutting the throttles not just 30 or 35 so this would show you that we did everything we could think of to make the steering fail but it didn't!
I have another video we made two years ago in the same boat using the first run of the smaller fangs and in that video we did a S turn off power not just turning one way but then overcoming that turn and making an opposite turn. I don't think I need to explain just how important it is to have real all time steering in these boats. Even the boat owner doubted it was impossible to do an off power S turn but when it did it I said who's dreaming now! He was totally amazed.

Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I am posting this video that I made 5 years ago in a 24 foot Yamaha It is important to state that this boat hull was prior to the keel and rudder style that Yamaha makes now and that the hull was even more difficult to handle in off power steering that the new boats with the keel, also this test was done using just the cobra steering NO FANGS OR MEGA FANGS, just the steering.\
I talk about the importance of having off power control but I am posting this for the newer jet boat peoples benefit.
remember this is a larger boat than the 21 foot that was videoed loosing control in a turn while it decelerating, this has even more centrifugal force that the smaller boat so it would want to cut out of the turn quicker making it more difficult to hold in a off power turn, and to add insult to injury we tested the ability of the steering to turn in an off power situation by cutting the throttles BEFORE turning , NOW Think of that, we had to overcome the boat wanting to continue to travel straight . And we were going 50 mph before cutting the throttles not just 30 or 35 so this would show you that we did everything we could think of to make the steering fail but it didn't! I have another video we made in the same boat using the first run of the smaller fangs and in that video we did a S turn off power not just turning one way but then overcoming that turn and making an opposite turn. I don't think I need to explain just how important it is to have real all time steering in these boats.
Wow.

--