• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Oil Change and Plugs

ShooterDiesel

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I am about to get my boat out after an 8 month deployment and am changing the plugs and oil. But I forgot about how much oil goes into a 2011 SX40 and what Iridium I need. I had all the info from the other site, but don't log on there any more. Can some one let me know how much oil I should buy? Thanks.

I always get 8 qts and have a little left over just in case one gets low on oil. I have never had to add oil after the initial oil change though. You would be fine with 7 qts. I find you get a better deal buying the change kits if you are using Yamalube and Yamaha filters.

What about the AR192 boats? I need to be doing mine soon.

Also, which pump does everyone recommend? Ive used some cheap ones in the past that leak and I REALLY dont feel like cleaning oil off my brand new boat.

The capacity for my 192 single engine is 3.37 quarts. The 240's should be the same multiplied by 2.

Where's the best place to buy oil and filters? Yamalube or otherwise.

The last time I bought them, it was from Autozone. I used a Mobil 1 filter and synthetic oil. They had the compatible oil filter, oil, and plugs in their computer.

The last time I bought them, it was from Autozone. I used a Mobil 1 filter and synthetic oil. They had the compatible oil filter, oil, and plugs in their computer.

Do you remember the Mobile 1 part number used?

This is the extractor I use. http://www.amazon.com/Mityvac-7400-...&qid=1426013658&sr=1-5&keywords=oil+extractor
After you warm up the oil really well this thing sucks the oil out very quickly with plenty of storage space. Another trick is after you remove the oil filter you will get some oil in the bilge. I use the same extractor and just vacuum the oil/water mixture out of the bilge with the suction tube, then wipe up the residual with some towels. You can try and put a ziploz freezer bag over the filter when you remove, but it is just impossible to not get a little oil in the bilge.

I use Castrol GTX for my oil from Walmart and I buy K&N filters off Ebay for the oil filters. You can pay top dollar for OEM oil and filters, but keep in mind these engines don't get run very hard. I think on average most guys are putting 50 hours per year on their engines. Our cars get that in 2 weeks time!

Also, be sure to unsnap and pull carpet back away from engine bay before doing this maintenance. Nothing worse than getting some oil on your carpet and then having to deal with that process.

@DonWon Thank man! Id really appreciate it. I plan to take my boat out this sunday and then I will be needing to order up everything for the 10 hours break in change. Hey, while I'm here, what type of grease are yall using on the outshaft bearing?

@DonWon Thank man! Id really appreciate it. I plan to take my boat out this sunday and then I will be needing to order up everything for the 10 hours break in change. Hey, while I'm here, what type of grease are yall using on the outshaft bearing?
I was told by the mechanic at the dealer that any type of marine grade grease. They sold me a tube made by Polaris. He said 2 pumps for the 1st season, and 1 pump each season after the 1st.

I have some green grease that everyone uses on their RZR's. Wonder if that will work.

I have some green grease that everyone uses on their RZR's. Wonder if that will work.
That should work. The bearing is sealed, the grease is just for added protection from moisture.

@skbishop90 The kit from Jet Boat Pilot is very reasonable. I just never ordered it because I drive past Autozone twice a day. I'll get you the Mobil 1 part#, and oil info anyway.

I also use Mobil 1. My boat came with Mobil 1 in the engines so I plan to stick with it.

Got into my boat today, engines fired right up after 8 months in storage. Oil looked clean and plugs, even though I fogged the motors sounded like they were firing smooth. They are iridiums. Would you all still change them?

Another question. Can a gas tank evaporate 40 gallons in 8 months? Its stored one air in Hawaii. Tank was full when I stored it and pretty empty today. No smell of fumes in engine bay or fuel compartment.

Back