• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil change concern (disregard problem solved)

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Did my end of season oil and filter change. I was able to pull approx 3.25 quarts out. The old oil has a lot of metal particles in it. I’ve done a lot of car oil changes in my life and have never seen this amount of metallic material. Is this normal? If not, what could be the issues?

144 hrs and forth oil change. Don’t remember seeing this much last season.

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Disregard. I think I answered my own question. I’m pretty sure it’s not from the boat at all. The cheap Chinese oil pump I’m was using to extract the oil apears to be failing and causing the metallic material after it pumps out the oil.

Moral of this post is buy a good quality extractor and not a cheap amazon 12v pump!

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Disregard. I think I answered my own question. I’m pretty sure it’s not from the boat at all. The cheap Chinese oil pump I’m was using to extract the oil apears to be failing and causing the metallic material after it pumps out the oil.

Moral of this post is buy a good quality extractor and not a cheap amazon 12v pump!
I was gonnasay, yeah that's a problem

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I use a modified automotive electric fuel pump been using it for a bout 15 years took it from the gas tank of an old jeep with fuel injection. It works so damn good.

dlkhmk

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
Think I’m gonna go with one of the MityVacs. They have good reviews. I tore the cheap pump apart to see. It is basically an aluminum cylinder with copped fins that spin. Looks like the fins were failing and grinding to a fine copper/aluminum powder and flowing out with the old oil. Have to admit it scared the hell out of me when I saw the oil. Thought my engine was failing. Another lesson learned.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Last edited:

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the same extractor as @djetok only larger, those are great and very clean.
When I'm done I just take the whole thing to an autozone for free collection.

--

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I use the old fashioned vacuum style one from West Marine...it takes about 5-10 minutes per engine to siphon warm oil out of them.

JetBoatPenguin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski which EWK oil extractor size did you go with? the 15L? Looking to buy one for the new "to me" boat for the oil work.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@swatski which EWK oil extractor size did you go with? the 15L? Looking to buy one for the new "to me" boat for the oil work.
Mine is a 10l I think.
I’ll check when I get back home from work tonight. Does two engines with plenty room to spare.

Jgonzalez114

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Can anyone tell me how many quarts I should expect to remove from my MR1s? I extracted the oil from both engines tonight. It sounds like the reservoirs are empty. When I went to fill the port engine, I added two quarts and checked the level and it was marking at the full line. The previous owner had overfilled the engines and they were above the full line cold. I'm trying to be very careful to only fill to the L line then warm them up and see how it expands. However I feel like there is no way that an engine with a 4.3 qt capacity would only let you change about 1.5 of that. I must be doing something wrong and will be going into the starboard engine with a scope tomorrow to see if the tube is bending and not picking up enough of the oil.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
My MR-1 motors are a bit different than yours but there is no way I would start them if the level is at the full line while cold. I am at the bottom of the stick when cold. Perhaps guys with more experience will chime in. Generally I can only remove 2 to 2.5 quarts.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
To add to the oil level question. Do you check the oil level by just putting the stick in or do you screw it in all the way? Makes quite a bit of difference.

Jgonzalez114

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
To add to the oil level question. Do you check the oil level by just putting the stick in or do you screw it in all the way? Makes quite a bit of difference.
I put them all the way tight. I have the service manual and read with an oil filter change the total oil change will be 2.2. They were so overfilled that I need to buy new air filters as well. So I think I’m ok now. i wish there was a way to remove all 4 qts because the oil was pretty bad. I’ll most likely be doing a couple of oil changes, maybe after every 10 hours do 3 of them to get it all out.

Attachments