• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

oil change every season or when its needed?????

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
8 seasons I always change the oil...it's cheap insurance. Last season I ran out of time and didn't change the plugs and it's been OK. I did notice last time out that the starboard cranked hard one time and it took the third try before it started up. If that issue continues, I'll replace the plugs ad that's likely the culprit. I've never torqued the plugs by a tongue wrench. I put antisieze on them, tighten finger tight then 1/4 more -- no more. Works every time. I also figure that it's best to only compress that washer once so when the plugs come out, they're done.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
My 2020 manual says to change oil at initial 10, 50, then every 100 or yearly. Oil filter only calls for change every 100 as well. I won't hit 100 a year, so I plan to do it yearly.

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Another question.... best to change in the fall and let it sit all winter? Or sit with the old oil and change in the spring?

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Ok everyone, got a question.

I guess what I'm trying to ask is, does everyone change the oil each year? I know the conservative thing to do is to change it but it seems wasteful and just unnecessary since its clean and I haven't burned any in 5 years... (knock on wood)

@flyingnugget ......the oil you think is "clean" at the hours you specify (or even half that) is not clean at all. Were you to send your oil for analysis (like I did in my high performance boating years) you would be astounded by what is contained in your oil (if you heated it to operating temperature before removing it). Changing your oil is absolutely the best insurance you can get - bar none. You have been doing it all along THAT is why your engine still runs well. I rarely respond with "inflexible" comments but anyone who says you don't have to heat your oil up before draining it or you don't have to perform yearly (at least) oil and filter change is, in my opinion, severely undereducated on the art of engine maintenance. Not meaning to offend but this is engine maintenance 101. :cool:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
My 2020 manual says to change oil at initial 10, 50, then every 100 or yearly. Oil filter only calls for change every 100 as well. I won't hit 100 a year, so I plan to do it yearly.
Mine says 10, 100 and every 100 after.
Where is everyone getting this 50 hour interval? That seems crazy, like changing the oil in your car every month or two.

ChrisM

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VR
Boat Length
Between the Seadoo PWC, and Chaparral, I religiously change the oil, plugs, oil filter, and filter housing O rings at the recommended maint schedule of 50 hours or seasonal which ever comes first. For me it's seasonal, way less than 50 hours use for either.
Every February/March I buy oil change kits, and get them ready. I also follow the long term maint schedules too, like coolant at 5 years I believe, the 100 hour, (now 200 hour) super charger service, the 100 hour driveshaft service, Ect. Looking at the SeaDoo current oil change schedules they seem to be at the 100 hour mark, I think this is probably because they switched from mineral oil to a semi synthetic lubricant. When my PWC was made (2008) mineral oil was used.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Another question.... best to change in the fall and let it sit all winter? Or sit with the old oil and change in the spring?
This can also be contentious. Some think “the fresher, the better” and will change at the beginning of the season. Others don’t want old oil sitting in the engine for the off season. I was raised the latter by my dad. The scientist in me says it can’t be good to let old, dirty, acidic oil sit in an engine for months. New oil isn’t going to go bad sitting in the engine either. Some people might do both, and with, what is it, like only 2/3 of the oil coming out per change they have a leg to stand on!

mwalker4

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just sat down from doing my oil change. I like to take a nice hot day in the summer and focus on my oil change and shot of lube for the bearing. It goes real quick and I am less likely to make a mess. Normally I do it in June, but this year was a bit different. I will do my plugs on another day when I have an extra few minutes. I either get the best or worst of both worlds, but I can concentrate on getting it ready for its long slumber starting in late October.

I don't usually flush, so when I started the engine and put her on the hose, I had pink anti-freeze out the side for a second. I guess I winterize the flushing tube pretty well.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Where is everyone getting this 50 hour interval? That seems crazy, like changing the oil in your car every month or two.
@AZMark .......the oil change interval on a boat will depend on your hours of use, how it is used and how long you plan to keep it. There is NO comparison to a car. You do not run your automotive engine to WOT under load or it would blow-up (unless a blue-printed race-dedicated engine). Marine engines have to push a boat hull through the water in extreme conditions (high RPM - heavy loads). Take your foot off the gas in a car and you can coast for a mile - in a boat a few hundred feet (at most). At 50 hours if I didn't change my oil and filter (and I am nearing that this summer already) I will remove my oil filter and top-up my oil - of course after heating it up to normal operating temperatures. That certainly improves the condition of your oil and longevity of your engine. If you trade it every two years..... :cool:

Gozills

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
This can also be contentious. Some think “the fresher, the better” and will change at the beginning of the season. Others don’t want old oil sitting in the engine for the off season. I was raised the latter by my dad. The scientist in me says it can’t be good to let old, dirty, acidic oil sit in an engine for months. New oil isn’t going to go bad sitting in the engine either. Some people might do both, and with, what is it, like only 2/3 of the oil coming out per change they have a leg to stand on!
everyone has an opinion but i like this one since it’s the same as mine😁

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@AZMark .......the oil change interval on a boat will depend on your hours of use, how it is used and how long you plan to keep it. There is NO comparison to a car. You do not run your automotive engine to WOT under load or it would blow-up (unless a blue-printed race-dedicated engine). Marine engines have to push a boat hull through the water in extreme conditions (high RPM - heavy loads). Take your foot off the gas in a car and you can coast for a mile - in a boat a few hundred feet (at most). At 50 hours if I didn't change my oil and filter (and I am nearing that this summer already) I will remove my oil filter and top-up my oil - of course after heating it up to normal operating temperatures. That certainly improves the condition of your oil and longevity of your engine. If you trade it every two years..... :cool:
That’s true, stresses are much higher. I’ve just never seen the 50 hour recommendation anywhere, my maintenance manual says every 100. Do dealers recommend the 50 or something?

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@TimW451 .....IMO you are 100% correct. NEVER, EVER leave last summer's oil sitting in your engine over the winter. BAD!!!! Of particular note in your comments is "it can't be good to let old, dirty ACIDIC, oil ...." AGREED. It is very, very bad to let the acids and vapors (not to mention the myriad of contaminants) sit in an engine for long periods. I just don't understand comments that question the need to change oil after lengthy use or before storage - cheapest insurance ever for very expensive, complex, machinery that is run hard even in normal use. Geez - are grandfathers and fathers not passing basic engine maintenance on to their sons???? Don't change your oil- put the engine re-builders' children through university - hopefully they will thank you. :cool:

Last edited:

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I change in the fall... just wanted to make sure there wasn’t some grand reason to wait until spring.

I’ve yet to do it myself. So far, I just let the dealer perform the annual maintenance. Used to work on cars all the time and have built engines before.... finding time isn’t as easy these days.

212s

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
@AZMark I'm getting this from both my hard copy that came with the boat, and the online owner's manual - on page 166 of mine online it shows the maintenance schedule and lists initial 10 hr, 50 hr, 100 hr, 200 hr columns at the top of the page. Under the oil section is lists for the 210 series replace at 10 and 100, right below it lists the 212 with checkmarks at 10, 50, and 100 :

Engine oil (AR210 /SX210) Replace √ √

Engine Oil (212X / 212S /212) Replace √ √ √

The 2018 year says the same thing online. I'm guessing the two different engines have different requirements, but it seems the 1.8l engines require it at 50, then every 100 or yearly after that. I'm going to change mine at 50 which I expect we'll hit by the end of this month and then do another change just before putting it away for the winter. I'll change the plugs next spring and be good all year.

Online manuals can be found here:

Look at the 2014 year and for the same 1.8l engines it only says 10 and 100 hours, so they must have changed it at some point.

Last edited:

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@AZMark I'm getting this from both my hard copy that came with the boat, and the online owner's manual - on page 166 of mine online it shows the maintenance schedule and lists initial 10 hr, 50 hr, 100 hr, 200 hr columns at the top of the page. Under the oil section is lists for the 210 series replace at 10 and 100, right below it lists the 212 with checkmarks at 10, 50, and 100 :

Engine oil (AR210 /SX210) Replace √ √

Engine Oil (212X / 212S /212) Replace √ √ √

The 2018 year says the same thing online. I'm guessing the two different engines have different requirements, but it seems the 1.8l engines require it at 50, then every 100 or yearly after that. I'm going to change mine at 50 which I expect we'll hit by the end of this month and then do another change just before putting it away for the winter. I'll change the plugs next spring and be good all year.

Online manuals can be found here:

Look at the 2014 year and for the same 1.8l engines it only says 10 and 100 hours, so they must have changed it at some point.
Thanks for directing me to it. I was going off of YAMAHA'S! online maintenance guide here. Why would I think I could rely on that?! Glad I saw this, I'm about due for a change.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Matt Phillips .....short answer - it depends..... but ALWAYS before storing and ONLY after heating the oil to normal operating temperature otherwise it's just a waste of time and money and bad for the engine. Long answer - see my thread on changing oil intervals. :cool:

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Every 100 hours, give or take a little.
New engines have so much better tolerances than old engines, there is not nearly as much blowby.

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Every 100 hours, give or take a little.
New engines have so much better tolerances than old engines, there is not nearly as much blowby.
@Liveto99 the higher the performance the more they relax the tolerance (we're talking 1000s here) and blow-by is not why I change oil it is due to acids, vapor and contaminant build-up. :cool:

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I just follow the manual. I never reach the hours so it's annual as directed.