• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil change questions

Rugby_mike6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I changed the oil in my 2012 SX210 the other day. I leveled the trailer, ran it, then pumped out from the oil cap/dipstick on the top of the motor. After running each motor for 3-4 minutes, I only got approx 1 quart from my left motor and 1.25 quarts from my right. Both measured full prior to the pump. The online owners guide says each 1.0
Liter takes 4.5 quarts of oil.

I filled each back up with 1-1.25 quarts and measured full. Any ideas on why i could only pump out a quart?

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Only thing I can think of is that leveling the trailer does not mean that you leveled the boat. Some put a level on the top of the engine to determine if they are level. Myself, I go out on the water...

The only other possibility would be that you didn't have your sucker tube all the way down the dipstick tube. But I think that unlikely...

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same boat (2012 SX210). I’m the second owner and have had it for a year now. Did my first oil change a few months ago...

I recall I extracted significantly less than the manual stated. I believe right around 2.5qts. (Off memory), but on my first engine it initially stopped extracting oil right after I had approximately a quart. I kept prodding around with the extractor tube and then found an area where I was able to insert the tube a little further and extract significantly more oil.
So as tdonoughue mentioned, it would appear you did not have the extraction tube inserted far enough into the oil reservoir.

Rugby_mike6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the same boat (2012 SX210). I’m the second owner and have had it for a year now. Did my first oil change a few months ago...

I recall I extracted significantly less than the manual stated. I believe right around 2.5qts. (Off memory), but on my first engine it initially stopped extracting oil right after I had approximately a quart. I kept prodding around with the extractor tube and then found an area where I was able to insert the tube a little further and extract significantly more oil.
So as tdonoughue mentioned, it would appear you did not have the extraction tube inserted far enough into the oil reservoir.
I fished around and went as deep as I could. I only got the 1 quart after finding the lowest spot. I leveled the trailer which meant the boat was higher at the hitch and lower at the back end. Given that my oil dip stick was at the rear of my motor I figured it would give me the best chance to drain the oil
That’s not right. What kind of pump are you using?
Bulb hand pump

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the MR-1 engines the back right hand corner of the upper oil reservoir has a recess that allows the oil soccer tube to go down another couple of inches. I don't know if the newer models use the same upper reservoir.

Another thing is my oil removal pump came with 3 diameter tubes for sucking the oil out. I have to use the medium diameter tube as the large diameter won't fit the lower part of the oil reservoir.

VitaminSea

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Was your extraction tube narrow like these?

D50A4101-6BF1-4A07-A503-D5882E271242.jpeg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
This was a complete oil change, draining the cooler too, two engines. My engines are MR-1's not 1.8's.

20170426_093127.jpg

20170426_141457.jpg

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
To be clear: I don't think anyone sucking gets all of the oil. There is always at least 1-2 qts left over. But I think everyone gets more than a quart out--that is your issue here.

GeauxDeep

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I don't think you had your extraction tube all the way down. Same thing happened to me the first time. i had to keep feeling around and finally got it to go all the way down in and extracted significantly more oil.

Rugby_mike6

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I got the tube as low as it could. As yes it was narrow like that.

scokill

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
What I've found on the MR1s is there is about a 1Q range on the dipstick where you could still be in the operating range between L and H. The only way to truly know where you are at is to check the boat warmed up on the water as indicated in manual....at least on the MR1s. If you are at the top of the operating range warmed up on water you could get out about 3 quarts and at the bottom of the range get out about 2 quarts. I've found that operating range cold on trailer is barely touching dipstick to just below the L mark on dipstick. I shoot for mid way.

BeauSko

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
This was a complete oil change, draining the cooler too, two engines. My engines are MR-1's not 1.8's.

View attachment 116302

View attachment 116303
Hey Zipper...I’m about to knock out my 10 hr service. I was looking for pumps and I don’t wanna pay an arm and a leg. I came across this post. Are you satisfied with the westmarine manual pump? Looks like it does well for you. Thanks in advance!

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Hey Zipper...I’m about to knock out my 10 hr service. I was looking for pumps and I don’t wanna pay an arm and a leg. I came across this post. Are you satisfied with the westmarine manual pump? Looks like it does well for you. Thanks in advance!
100% satisfied. I use it for both boats.

Daren and Heather

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It can take some patience to get all of the oil pumped out of our engines. The newer engines actually have 2 different oil extraction points. You can see in my video how it takes several attempts, placements, persistence to get all of the oil finally out of the engine.

Matt Phillips

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I like the West Marine Pump...I have one for the boat (gets changed at the lake) and another for when doing the car (at home). When getting oil out of mine, I use the smallest tube in the kit and if memory serves me correctly, it takes a little extra poking around to get the tube all the way to the bottom.