• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil Filter replacement ( Alternative means )

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I didn't reread the entire thread, but I am wondering now about cost here in the US. Auto dealer parts are only one step below boat dealer parts in terms of cost. They might be more available, but I wonder what price we would pay here too. I have to go into town today, going to try to make time for this discovery.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I picked one up. I will let you know later after I slice it open!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The results are in...the Mazda filter was 10.27 with tax at my local Mazda dealer...and it is paper. Oh the things I do for you guys. Looks like the K&N is a better choice if you want paper in the USA. Although you might find an internet deal to save a buck...if you really want paper.
image.jpg

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Mel....Thanks for biting the bullet ...so to speak. We now know that the Mazda filter is really not a viable option!:winkingthumbsup"

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I think it's viable john, it just isn't going to save money. It is the same price I paid for the Yamaha filters from Phil Dill boats. But for those folks like Geoff, that have fewer suppliers, it may be beneficial. But it isn't Yamaha quality and not even close.

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I am in total agreeance with you Mel. Viable just not cost effective.....I'll stick to the Yammie filters.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for checking the filter Mel, I have done some homework and the flow rate is the same but the Fibre filters work down to 7 microns and the paper work to 14 apart from that there seems to be little difference, Price wise over here the Fibre ones are about $20 each compared to $8 for the Mazda ones, We only have 1 dealer here in the whole of Thailand and they charge well above Yamaha list prices, I change my oil regular so they will be fine for people such as me but for people who wait for the 100 hour service time they are better using the Yamaha filters i would have thought, Some of the members very kindly let me know the prices of the Airfilters as over here they are $220 each compared to half that price in the states crazy prices.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Those air filters are crazy priced and we complain loudly about the $110 each here. The good news, is that you may not ever have to change an air filter. Many guys new to these boats (and some dealers too) have overfilled their oil the first time, and that will ruin the air filters. But overall, we just don't usually boat in dusty conditions, so the air filters can last for years. Isn't it crazy how pricing can vary from one country to another on the same component?

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Those air filters are crazy priced and we complain loudly about the $110 each here. The good news, is that you may not ever have to change an air filter. Many guys new to these boats (and some dealers too) have overfilled their oil the first time, and that will ruin the air filters. But overall, we just don't usually boat in dusty conditions, so the air filters can last for years. Isn't it crazy how pricing can vary from one country to another on the same component?
The dealer here know that he has cornered the market and they don't mind telling you that they charge more than the Yamaha list there's nothing you can do about it unfortunately, They even charge you the postage on top as the orders come from Singapore so that puts the price up even more, they quoted me $8000 for a fuel sender as they would only sell me the whole tank with everything that goes with it, I did my homework and located the fuel sender from China and with postage i think it came to about $20 and works perfect, They are of no help whatsoever and it infuriates me as before coming here i had a good relationship with the agents back in England, There are no laws to stop this kind of corruption here they charge what they like and if your a westerner you will pay more than a Thai person at many places, I usually send a Thai person into places to buy what i need , An example today we took a few friends to a large tropical garden complex and Zoo they charged me $20 admission and my Thai friends were charged $10 if you question the reason behind the difference in charges all they say is you have more money than Thai people.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Mel those Fibre Yamaha Filters are they Synthetic Fibre Polyester inserts ? I'm still working on this subject and may have a lead.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Geoff Cooper , I dont have any information on what the actual material is, it was referred to as "fleece" by a yamaha tech, that asked some of the same questions that you have asked. I have a Link to a green hulk thread that discussed these filters at length and pictures of the filters in detail. I started to post them in this thread but thought that might be a hijack as the thread wasn't about the yamaha filter but rather about the Mazda filter. But I will add the info here tomorrow. I don't have it on my phone.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Geoff Cooper , I dont have any information on what the actual material is, it was referred to as "fleece" by a yamaha tech, that asked some of the same questions that you have asked. I have a Link to a green hulk thread that discussed these filters at length and pictures of the filters in detail. I started to post them in this thread but thought that might be a hijack as the thread wasn't about the yamaha filter but rather about the Mazda filter. But I will add the info here tomorrow. I don't have it on my phone.
Ok that's sounds good, I have a company who makes that Mazda filter and they also do an equivalent in Fibre so i have asked them to supply photos of the insert so i will post them as soon as they arrive and maybe you may be able to identify them, As soon as i mentioned i was looking for a Fibre filter and gave them the Mazda number they seemed to know exactly what i wanted so we will see if we can progress any further.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
If you can get those fleece filters cheaper, your on to something!

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Here is the additional info on the fleece filters @Geoff Cooper . The guy that wrote up all of this on green hulk compared and cut open another filter too, referencing K&N and other filters. The filters are not comparable size, but they are a reflection of the representative filters. The whole thread was questioning if Yamaha was gouging in their pricing. And the finding was that the Yamaha filter is superior to most all of them, being a fleece design like Mercedes Benz uses for their filters. Anyway, here are all the pictures I have as well as the link.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/shipyard-isl-marine-engine-parts/101185-yamaha-vs-sierra-oil-filters-w-pics.html
oil filter comparison yamaha vs sierra 1.jpg oil filter comparison k n.jpg oil filter comparison 7.jpg oil filter comparison 6.jpg oil filter comparison 5.jpg oil filter comparison 4.jpg

Attachments

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Here is the additional info on the fleece filters @Geoff Cooper . The guy that wrote up all of this on green hulk compared and cut open another filter too, referencing K&N and other filters. The filters are not comparable size, but they are a reflection of the representative filters. The whole thread was questioning if Yamaha was gouging in their pricing. And the finding was that the Yamaha filter is superior to most all of them, being a fleece design like Mercedes Benz uses for their filters. Anyway, here are all the pictures I have as well as the link.
http://www.thehulltruth.com/shipyard-isl-marine-engine-parts/101185-yamaha-vs-sierra-oil-filters-w-pics.html
View attachment 15001 View attachment 15002 View attachment 15003 View attachment 15004 View attachment 15005 View attachment 15006
Thanks for that, I have contacted many manufacturers including Denso and questioned the subject of Fibre Filters including the spec regarding the micron count and asked for specification, Many have emailed me and seem to point to the same product when i mention Fibre, They make a Fibre and paper combined filter but not an all Fibre filter, I have yet to find a company that actually produce a complete Fibre filter, I have enclosed sample Photos for you to take a look at of the Fibre/ Paper combination, I wonder if the Yamaha is just another version of this?

DSC01316.JPG

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Thanks for that, I have contacted many manufacturers including Denso and questioned the subject of Fibre Filters including the spec regarding the micron count and asked for specification, Many have emailed me and seem to point to the same product when i mention Fibre, They make a Fibre and paper combined filter but not an all Fibre filter, I have yet to find a company that actually produce a complete Fibre filter, I have enclosed sample Photos for you to take a look at of the Fibre/ Paper combination, I wonder if the Yamaha is just another version of this?

View attachment 15026
Mel i have just had an email from the company who makes the filter Fibre/Paper that i sent you the Photos of and it works down to 5 Microns which is below the Yamaha filter spec which if i remember correctly was around 8 microns maybe you can confirm this as i can only go by a comparable filter as i don't have the correct spec on the Yamaha one Denso didn't reply to my request, I'm still working on the subject as you can see so we will see where it takes us, hope this is of use to you.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
I never have seen specs on the Yamaha, but I could have sworn you previously stated it to be half of the others. I think many of the filters out there today may have the composite material you mention. The Yamaha may too be some sort of composite, I do not know. But it is more of a dense fleece, rather than a paper walled material. I don't know if I can get specs on it, who makes the material, or what other companies actually use it. But I will see what I can find out. The actual canister of the Yamaha filter is very different inside besides the filter material. It doesn't have the same type of inner/outer separation as the paper style filters.

Geoff Cooper

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I never have seen specs on the Yamaha, but I could have sworn you previously stated it to be half of the others. I think many of the filters out there today may have the composite material you mention. The Yamaha may too be some sort of composite, I do not know. But it is more of a dense fleece, rather than a paper walled material. I don't know if I can get specs on it, who makes the material, or what other companies actually use it. But I will see what I can find out. The actual canister of the Yamaha filter is very different inside besides the filter material. It doesn't have the same type of inner/outer separation as the paper style filters.
Yes i understand that I'm still waiting for conformation from Denso as to the spec on the Micron level, I'm sure if i remember it was 8 and normal paper was 14 to 16 i think so this Filter details they have sent me exceeds the Yamaha spec and that of the Paper ones, We will wait and see what other companies bother to reply and judge our findings on the final results but at least progress is being made on the subject, I'm off to bed it's 11.15 in Thailand and I'm out Boating at 6.30 am tomorrow.

dansshin

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I didn't see Sierra 18-7906-1 listed. I got few of these filters from my previous owner along with Yamaha oil. Are these any good? He also sent one genuine Yamaha filter 69J-13440-01 but what is that difference between this and 69J-143440-00?

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Since this thread is in the FAQ for oil filter alternatives, wanted to add a few that I haven't seen listed after somewhat of a wild goose chase over the weekend.

Here are some other options I've used:
Fram PH7317
Motorcraft FL-910s
Carquest 85348

One that did NOT fit but may have potentially had bad threads: Fram Drive FD3614. For this reason I will never use Fram again, along with the fact that they are not highly regarded online. I've used many Fram filters over the years on various motors without any issues until this past weekend but from now on I will order Motorcraft FL-910S filters from Amazon for $3.97 instead of the $8.99 they are at Advance Auto Parts. Even with the "oil change kits/deals" they have at Advance, oil and filters are cheaper on Amazon.

I've found that the MR-1 uses the same oil filters as a 2019 Ford Escape SEL with 2.0L turbo engine.