• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

oil leak + mystery part- 1.8l 2017 242x

Leendert

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks for this thread. Found same part rolling around in 2017 242X Bilge.

strussell

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
So we have had this boat for just about 1 year. Since new, I would occasionally see a really small amount of oil in the bilge area. I asked the dealer to check it out at end of season last year and they said they did not find any cause / leak. Recently the amount of oil I am seeing has increased (especially if we have been running hard pulling a big tube etc) and I now notice it in the bilge water. I did a little exploring today and the only oily surface I could find was under the starboard engine. Is this most likely an oil pan that isn't snugged down tight? Pretty sure the oil pump and cooler were not leaking.

MYSTERY PART - Also there is a cylindrical "port?" of some sort under the starboard engine toward the outer side that is not on the port engine? I thought the engines would be identical? I wasn't able to see under there but I drew a diagram based on what I could feel. It is smaller in diameter than the oil filter and almost feels like a sleeve with a cap pressed into it. Kinda like a 2 piece filter wrench or plumbing clean out port? Can anyone tell me what this is and why it only appear on 1 engine?

View attachment 81097
View attachment 81098
I have a 2020 242X and noticed the same amount of oil today after an outing. Did you ever figure out what caused this? Also I sprayed the entire engine down with yamalube and I was curious if maybe it mixed with some bulge water and left the oily residue on the floor?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
closely check the oil filter for leaks I had one split once and I have seen some rust and leak