• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil seal help needed

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Well you can add a little gear lube to it also but you pump some grease into the syringe and then push it into the fitting opening not a lot though, I never measure it and I seldom bother doing it because as long as the seals are good the grease won't go away and water won't get in. You probable only need to check the condition of the grease once a year, and if it looks ok it probably needs nothing.

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Find the factory service manual. It's pretty good for my ar230. It has enough detail that diy guys can get the job done, but might would be over the head of a guy that doesn't own a large socket set.
Found a 2004 manual last year and have been using it since. It’s like this - they tell you “remove engine” :) and of course that’s described and all but I’ hoping it doesn’t get to that.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Usually moving it forward gets the job done to get the bearing housing out .

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hi folks,

Been busy several months since my wife and I were blessed with a baby daughter!

That being said :) I finally had that chance to bring my boat to the house to see if I can get my hands on what I thought was a busted rubber seal on the intermediary bearing. So today I took the pump out and managed to squeeze this thing out which was lodged in the impeller shaft tube which goes through the back of the boat:

image.jpg
image.jpg

When I look at it, it simply doesn’t look anything like a bearing seal (at least not the kind I’ve seen before).

I can’t tell if it’s just silicone or an actual seal ...or a silicone seal warped from heat lol

Anyone have an idea of what the heck this is?

Thank you in advance!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Did you buy the boat used? It looks like an attempt by a boat owner to slow water leaking past the original seal after it failed. Is there another on the opposite side?

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks CJS!

Bought it used.

So yes, it crossed my mind it might be an attempt for repairing some leak somewhere in that area either by shady mechanic or previous owner. I'm trying to remain hopeful :( that it's just a bunch of silicone from sealing off the housing with the pipe the shaft goes through or the plastic through hull fitting at the back where the shaft comes out of the boat from the factory. The opening (inside diameter) in the silicone piece is a perfect match to the impeller shaft outside diameter.

I'm going to fill up the back with water tonight as well see if anything shows signs of leaking for starters.

It's on my todo to check the other side this evening but bet I won't find a matching piece of silicone...

Last edited:

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I had a few mins and went under to see if I can spot any seal damage whatsoever from roughly a foot away in that little hole :nailbiting:

I can't see anything wrong with the outer seal lip. Not to say it it can't be there but I cannot see it. Even used a wire cloth hanger with taped q-tip at the end to press gently against it and observe any movement or anything to suggest deterioration but I'm getting nothing so far.

I also tried to infer the position on the silicone piece and looks like it was mated right at the back of the intermediate housing where it connects to the rubber pipe/tube, judging by the shinier portions of the impeller shaft where it likely rode for a while.

Also, the rear oil seal(s) have left slightly shinier traces (not grooves) on the front of the shaft closer to the splines so there appears to be at least some tension there which is good.

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So here are the markings:

Left most from the splines blue tape is where the shaft exits the boat flush with the through hull fitting. Next on right and the tape mark is where the bearing housing back comes to transposed on the shaft:

55D9F345-DF93-45F1-BB00-39144423A5F3.jpeg

Filled it up and sprayed with water and got no leak.

I’m hoping this silicone was in attempt to seal out the tube connecting the shaft through hull fitting and the housing.

atldude

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Popped the other pump out and to my surprise found the same silicone remnants though in 4 pieces :winkingthumbsup" at this point I l’m pretty convinced this is just bead of silicone used to seal off the rubber tube with the final through hull fitting. Even tried to stick it there and fit about near perfect!

I think mystery problem solved. Will water test it this weekend somewhat confidently and will post back if any issues.

Now time for basic maintenance ;)

88BFC25D-B974-4F23-8303-1F54162A16D4.jpeg

1DE9C5DC-9FDC-4E46-8EF7-6248593430ED.jpeg