• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Oil then plugs or vice versa

You need to read the manual that came with your boat. Folks at dealerships and on here pass on the best information that they have. That does not mean it is right for your boat. I actually had a guy from a non-Yamaha dealership tell me that the proper way to launch a boat was to completely disconnect it from the trailer before backing down the ramp. He also told me to never buy a roller trailer because the boats fall right off onto the concrete while launching. Most people know that you always keep that bow eye connected until the boat is in the water but not all. :)

Maybe it's in your manual, but mine says "check/clean/adjust" at the 10, 50 and 100 hours. And every year after that.

Page 135 of my manual.

Please point out IN THE MANUAL where it states you should CHANGE PLUGS every year.

THANKS!

Maybe it's in your manual, but mine says "check/clean/adjust" at the 10, 50 and 100 hours. And every year after that.

Page 135 of my manual.

Please point out IN THE MANUAL where it states you should CHANGE PLUGS every year.

THANKS!

There you go. Your manual does not say to do that. If you find a 2 stroke manual I would bet it does.

Page 3-13 of the service manual for my 2010 says Check the Electrodes and the Spark Plug - if Carbon Deposits then clean, if Damage/Wear then replace. Then it says Measure Spark Plug Gap - if out of spec (0.8-0.9mm / 0.031-0.035in) then replace. It also says to clean the gasket surface and the spark plug surface before installing.

The common belief about plugs is when you take them out you have to replace the crush rings before putting them back in, although the service manual seems to contradict this. Nobody has been able to source the crush rings so everyone has just been replacing their plugs. If you could find a source for the crush rings you would probably border on hero status around here.

All that said, I bet there are quite a few boats out there that have not had their plugs out since the 10 hour service and God has not stricken down their owners. It is $15 and 15 minutes of your time, you get to decide how you spend both.

Page 135 of my manual.

THANKS!
So according to your manual you would never change your plugs? The once a year thing is more something we adopted to prevent the plugs from seizing up and breaking off in the engine head. Obviously most of us never get close to putting enough hours on our plugs to require replacing them. It's just a little risky keeping them in there more than one season especially if you boat in salt water as I do.

There you go. Your manual does not say to do that. If you find a 2 stroke manual I would bet it does.

Page 3-13 of the service manual for my 2010 says Check the Electrodes and the Spark Plug - if Carbon Deposits then clean, if Damage/Wear then replace. Then it says Measure Spark Plug Gap - if out of spec (0.8-0.9mm / 0.031-0.035in) then replace. It also says to clean the gasket surface and the spark plug surface before installing.

The common belief about plugs is when you take them out you have to replace the crush rings before putting them back in, although the service manual seems to contradict this. Nobody has been able to source the crush rings so everyone has just been replacing their plugs. If you could find a source for the crush rings you would probably border on hero status around here.

All that said, I bet there are quite a few boats out there that have not had their plugs out since the 10 hour service and God has not stricken down their owners. It is $15 and 15 minutes of your time, you get to decide how you spend both.
So...it's not in my manual, but you say I should do it? That's cool, I appreciate that, and I may. I will at least Change them every other year.

I guess I don't appreciate you spouting off saying I should read the manual when if doesn't say shit about changing them yearly.

Thanks,

Bill

So according to your manual you would never change your plugs? The once a year thing is more something we adopted to prevent the plugs from seizing up and breaking off in the engine head. Obviously most of us never get close to putting enough hours on our plugs to require replacing them. It's just a little risky keeping them in there more than one season especially if you boat in salt water as I do.

Yeah, that's EXACTLY WHAT I SAID, I WILL NEVER, EVER CHANGE MY PLUGS.

I knew I should have never brought this up.

I simply asked why you need to change yearly...specifically pointed out that you need to do so on older (non 1.8 engines) and I was told to read the manual. After I did so, and posted exactly exactly what it said, I am still chastised.

Out.

Yeah, that's EXACTLY WHAT I SAID, I WILL NEVER, EVER CHANGE MY PLUGS.

I knew I should have never brought this up.

I simply asked why you need to change yearly...specifically pointed out that you need to do so on older (non 1.8 engines) and I was told to read the manual. After I did so, and posted exactly exactly what it said, I am still chastised.

Out.
@billyb. sorry if you took my post the wrong way. It wasn't meant to be smart ass. I was merely commenting that your manual doesn't seem to mention replacing plugs at any regular interval as car manufacturers do. We have adopted our own policy of annual plug changes to avert a seized plug but that is your choice of course. Plugs are about $4 a piece but a broken plug stuck in the engine head can be very expensive if the head has to be pulled. I'm not sure if the 1.8's are susceptible to this issue.

So...it's not in my manual, but you say I should do it? That's cool, I appreciate that, and I may. I will at least Change them every other year.

I guess I don't appreciate you spouting off saying I should read the manual when if doesn't say shit about changing them yearly.

Thanks,

Bill

Spouting off? I was saying if you want the right answer for your boat it is in your manual. Sorry I wasted my time trying to get you the best answer for your boat.

For information sake, After doing much research over the years, I have found that no matter where you go to get your information on oil changes and spark plugs you will find varied opinions, even from the professionals.

Oil: Many will say, change your oil in the Fall to prevent the oil, which can become acidic from summer use, from sitting in your engine all Winter.
Many will say, change your oil in the Spring to rid the moisture that has accumulated over the Winter.
Many will say, change your oil in the Fall and again in the Spring for the ideal prevention of acidic and moisture content.
The bottom line: Change your oil at least once a year at a minimum. I have never heard, in all my research of a major problem because they chose one over the other.

Spark plugs: Many will say, the spark plug ring must be replaced when removing the spark plug for cleaning to ensure proper torquing and seating when replaced.
Many will say, they have removed and cleaned spark plugs without replacing the ring and never have had a problem by doing so.
The bottom line: research and educate yourself and form your opinion based on others and your personal experience.

On this site alone, you will get varied opinions on how often to change your spark plugs.
Some will say ,change when your engines start running rough and they get several years from a set of plugs.
Some will say at least once a year, because of possible difficulty getting the plug out due to not changing.
Have some gone years without changing with no problems at all? Yes
Have some have the spark plug break when removing because rust has formed? Yes
So who is correct?

Most of our manuals will say remove, clean and inspect your spark plugs at least once a year or based on hours used. Based on the information available, only you should choose how often you want to change your plugs. Just know the why and when you should and take into account the experience of others.

Fogging: Not sure I even want to bring up that can of worms.

Back to the OP's question @cbus. Either way will work.

Now I will tell you what I do and why: This does not make my way any better than the next guy in line. It will only give you insight for you to make your choose.
I change my oil in the Fall and I change my plugs yearly in the Spring.
I change the oil in the Fall because after being confused when to do it, I felt the acidic nature was more important than the little bit of moisture I may accumulate over the Winter, but most of all by changing in the Fall, that is one less thing I have to do in the Spring when all I want to do is get out on the water.

I change my plugs yearly, because I personally, have been frightened by the nightmare stories of broken off plugs in the cylinder heads. (for me it is less stressful, knowing I can get the plug out successfully. I am willing to pay the price now for new plugs rather than chance that costly repair that could occur).

I do fog. (I do not want to get into why you should or shouldn't) but I choose to. Because I choose to, I also choose to burn off as much fogging oil as possible on the old plugs before replacing with the new ones. Do I have to do it that way? Thats debatable, and I am not hurting a thing by doing it that way.

I have been doing it this way for 4 years and these are facts that I have noticed and I will pass onto you.
Prior to changing plugs, my boat runs a little rough. I run my engines on the hose and than let them cool. I replace my plugs and restart the engines. I can actually hear a better running and smoother sounding engine.

Now the choose is yours on how you want to proceed. Which ever way you choose, I am sure it will be correct for you.

Last edited:
Thank you boat crazy! It is too bad this was not the first response to bill b's question. We all are passionate about our boats and have different levels of knowledge. No one should feel attacked after they post a question. I am only speaking how I would have responded after reading these posts to a simple spark plug question.

Thank you boat crazy! It is too bad this was not the first response to bill b's question. We all are passionate about our boats and have different levels of knowledge. No one should feel attacked after they post a question. I am only speaking how I would have responded after reading these posts to a simple spark plug question.

Read back through the thread. I did not attack him, I laid out all of the facts specific to his question and pointed out that the only thing that really matters is the information in his manual. I even added information to clarify the response to let him know he was probably fine either way he went. Somehow I was spouting off.

To get back to adding a bit of value to this thread...I did a bit of science this week. I was mowing the area over by my pier yesterday and jammed my mower with some garbage from a neighbor moving out. I lifted the mower from the side instead of the front to clear it and drained all of the engine oil into the cylinder. Yeah...stupid AND I knew better than to do that. So I checked for spare plugs and starter fluid and had neither. I could not even find a wire brush. What I did have was the Yamalube fogging oil so I figured what the hell. Sprayed it on the plug and it removed the rust, carbon and oil. Sprayed a bunch in the cylinder and let it sit for a while before yanking the pull cord to blow the crap out. Reinstalled the plug, pulled the air filter and started it back up. After a minute or so the smoke stopped and everything was as good as new instead of the usual 30 minutes of fogging for mosquitos.

Will the Yamalube fogging oil foul your plugs? Doubt it
Will the Yamalube fogging oil fix fouled plugs? Maybe. Going to try it before replacing ugly looking plugs now. Those are usually in the SeaDoo though. :)

@davel501 Dave, I apologize, I misread your tone.

I thought you were being a smart ass when I initially read your post.

After I re read it, I now realize where you were going with it.

@davel501 Dave I understand you responses. I was not referring to you in my reply. I am sorry for the confusion.

Back