• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Oil weight

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Good Morning. I don’t want to start a discussion on oil brand, I know that I’ll be using Mobil 1. I just want to know what weight you guys recommend? 10-30, 10-40? When I google Mobil 1 10-40 it shows “for high mileage “ is this ok to use on our boats? I have the 1.8s. Thanks guys

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Be sure you get the correct grade as well.

From the owner's manual:

upload_2018-5-4_10-47-11.png

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I saw that buts it’s not really clear to me. It’s 10w-40 High mileage good? Or is there a Mobil 1 10w-40

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Personally I would not run any of the "high mileage" stuff as those have additives for those applications generally making them a higher viscosity. Just stick to the 'non-specialty' oil IMHO. 10w-40 is what I use for my climate.

FWIW Mobil does make a "regular" or conventional 10w-40. They call it "Super" but it's just their conventional blend. Most auto places tend to carry the Mobil 1 High Mileage blend or at least in my area.

Last edited:

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Personally I would not run any of the "high mileage" stuff as those have additives for those applications generally making them a higher viscosity. Just stick to the 'non-specialty' oil IMHO. 10w-40 is what I use for my climate.

FWIW Mobil 1 does make a "regular" or conventionalk 10-40w. They call is "Super" but it's just their conventional blend. Most auto places tend to carry the Mobil 1 High Mileage blend or at least in my area.
I see. So they do have a synthetic 10-40? What type of oil do you use?

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I read somewhere the lighter weight oil actually flows faster and provides greater lubrication. I run 10w40 now as it was what the prior owner used. Looking for additional info to possibly validate or change the approach.

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use regular 10w-40 dino oil from the Yamalube kits.

Danielmailin

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Deluxe
Boat Length
As per @haknslash you stick to the manufacturer specifications, specially the Recommend engine oil grade API, these specifications should match with the oil you are going to use.
I believe the Mobil Super High Mileage was the closest one that meet these standards.
You do want to avoid energy efficient.
Screenshot_20180504-153512_Chrome.jpg

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow. Those are very old API oil types. Even the cheap oil that I use is rated SN. I wonder why Yamaha wants us to use obsolete oil technology in their engines?

druppert

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ve read that additives in high mileage oil causes seals/gaskets to swell & if used on a low mileage engine could lead to additional wear. The article suggested that while not necessarily a problem you shouldn’t go back to conventional oil after making the change. That was just one article & every person on earth has a different opinion on oil. I stick to engine mfg recommendations. I think they even recommend different weights based on your climate. I use 10W-40 here in FL

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Wow. Those are very old API oil types. Even the cheap oil that I use is rated SN. I wonder why Yamaha wants us to use obsolete oil technology in their engines?
I'm not sure why they have grades that are obsolete. http://www.pqiamerica.com/apiserviceclass.htm

What interesting to me is that on 4 star models they recommend only using the more recent API grades but on 3 star models they list oil grades going back over two decades. This is from my 2o16 owner's manual:

image.jpeg

Last edited:

Chief

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited E-Series
Boat Length
4 star engines have catalytic converters for better emissions...API SN oils have lower levels of ZDDP because the zinc and phosphorus will foul the catalyst....API SM oil is actually a better oil for metal wear protection because of the higher ZDDP levels.