• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

OK Which cover to get?

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now that I know I'm getting my 2015 AR240 I need to know which cover to get. The dealer included the bow and cockpit cover in the deal but I'm thinking the mooring cover would be better. I want a cover I can keep on while towing the boat like my current boat. I've also heard that the bow and cockpit covers can let water run down the windshield and under the bow cover. Any thoughts?

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I would get the deluxe premium mooring cover unless you plan on leaving it in the slip all season. I do not like all the snaps on the bow and cockpit covers but if I was going to be leaving my boat in the slip every time putting the full cover on can be a challenge depending on your slip.

I have had no issues with the mooring cover leaking and prefer leaving that on when I trailer.

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wanted to make sure it was a tow capable cover because some covers tend to tear or come off when towing.

TechRider

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Regal
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Just make sure you get the deluxe premium version. It's night and day difference in quality over the premium.

I actually always tow with the cover and have had no issues. I always tow with the poles in. You will see some people who say do not do that but I always do. Some say to put a noodle on top of the windshield to prevent scuffing on the windshield but I have never had a problem. I always put mine on pretty tight and make sure when leaving it at rest there are no pockets for water to pool. Otherwise it will leak. If you are on level ground and put the poles in and snug it up tight you will not have any issues with leaking.

I would recommend not leaving the carpets down for long periods though as they can get moldy and smell. I put Seadek in the whole boat and don't have that issue anymore.

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA

subysti

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yea saw that but I think I want the deluxe premium cover. I guess its thinker and has a liner.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I agree with @TechRider - get the premium mooring cover - it's worth the investment.
I do use a noodle over the windshield frame, just as a precaution, and Ive waterproofed it at the beginning of each season. So far so good.
But as mentioned - it can be a pain in the ass putting it on while she's in a slip. Bow and cockpit covers are much easier.

billyb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I agree with @TechRider - get the premium mooring cover - it's worth the investment.
I do use a noodle over the windshield frame, just as a precaution, and Ive waterproofed it at the beginning of each season. So far so good.
But as mentioned - it can be a pain in the ass putting it on while she's in a slip. Bow and cockpit covers are much easier.
I just got the delux premium cover. My boat sits in a covered lift under a roof.

Would you still recommend the waterproof procedure? If so, what product and how do you apply?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Yea saw that but I think I want the deluxe premium cover. I guess its thinker and has a liner.
I figured that was to easy! Must have missed that part.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
image.jpg
I just got the delux premium cover. My boat sits in a covered lift under a roof.

Would you still recommend the waterproof procedure? If so, what product and how do you apply?
I use this. It's like $50 for a gallon.
I clean (blow) my driveway, lay it down flat and spray it on. I use a garden pump sprayer. And then just let it dry.
The water beads up and just rolls off.
Matter of fact - so does the driveway area around where I sprayed. :)

Even though your boat is in a covered lift - it certainly doesn't hurt.

Z28Johnny

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
My boat has the deluxe premium cover. I just got it, but am very impressed with the quality and ease of putting it on... it's well thought out in it's design and function.

Jackew

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
Short story- keep the factory boat cover that came with the boat. I had my going on three years and use it while storing my boat under cover of a boat port. I have pulled the boat with the white factory boat cover over 3500 miles with no issues and actually like it better than my $750 boat cover purchased from the dealer. The free shipping cover being Tyvek has some great advantages in preventing mold and mildew

Long story
I bought my first Yamaha boat 12/21012. It was a AR240 HO. The first thing I wanted to buy was a cover. I bought the best cover money could from the dealer at the same time I purchased the the boat. They gave me 10% discount. Then I took this really nice white shipping cover that came with boat and put it in my garage as a back up. The black newly purchased cover would really heat up the inside of my boat covered in the summer. I found it difficult to keep mold from starting even while I was keeping the boat spotless and dry as possible in south Louisiana. Then after reading serval post this is what I learned and I hope it will help you too. That white shipping cover is made of Tyvek which is great breathable material and insulator. So I pulled it out the garage and put back on my boat. Then I also put a 16" box fan in my boat under the cover. The fan is connected to a timer so in the late evenings the fan comes on and cools the interior of the boat. So at night there is not drastic temp difference when moisture content in the Louisiana air is he greatest. Mold and mildew problem solved. Now for towing the cover is outstanding. No issues as I pull it 750 miles between Louisiana and Flordia at least twice a year. I keep the polls in and straps nice and tight. The lining on the factory cover is soft and I like better than my purchased cover. I have used the factory cover for over 2 years on the AR240 and would recommend anyone to use their factory shipping cover over buying a new one.

Now that my AR240 is for sale and I am waiting on my 2015 242 limted S, and I am clear about what boat cover I need. It is already on the boat and Free with the purchase :)

Here is picture of my loved but soon to be sold AR 240 and her cover.

Cheers
Jacke

Attachments

Last edited:

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am not sure there is a liner. The differences that I am aware of are:

1. The Color (The Deluxe Premium is Black and the Premium is Grey)
2. The Deluxe Premium is up 15% thicker
3. The Deluxe Premium has covers that zip around the cleats

Tampaguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
I bought the premium mooring cover. I now have the problem that in the back of the boat the cover sags and therefore collects alot of water. Has anyone had that issue and what did they do about it?
I am looking into rigging something back there more than the pole it came with to keep the cover up and let the water cascade off.
Looking for ideas

0627Devildog

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Classifieds Moderator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
How old is the cover now? Was it a recent purchase? I have had mine for 2 seasons and it's still as tight as the first day I bought it. . . . . ZERO sag anywhere and water cascades off.

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have been on one long trip with my deluxe premium cover and it has scratched the crap out of my black boat. What am I doing wrong? Dealer told me I could trailer with it on and recommended leaving the poles in. It scratches a few feet behind the ratchet towards the stern. And along where the strap pulls on the hull. Is it to tight? To loose? I totally clean the boat with hot sauce before I put the cover on. Thanks.

Attachments

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have been on one long trip with my deluxe premium cover and it has scratched the crap out of my black boat. What am I doing wrong? Dealer told me I could trailer with it on and recommended leaving the poles in. It scratches a few feet behind the ratchet towards the stern. And along where the strap pulls on the hull. Is it to tight? To loose? I totally clean the boat with hot sauce before I put the cover on. Thanks.
I never had any issues with my cover on my AR192 and I towed with it every time I took the boat out. I would look and make sure you don't have any debris on the padding. I laid the cover out on the ground and its a dirt magnet...never did that again.

Tampaguy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
How old is the cover now? Was it a recent purchase? I have had mine for 2 seasons and it's still as tight as the first day I bought it. . . . . ZERO sag anywhere and water cascades off.
I have the deluxe premium which is sagging Badly, it is outside 24/7 on my lift so is in the sun pretty constantly. It is still water proof, the sag is due to collecting water.

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I only tow my black 242Limited S a couple of miles to get fuel but have towed it about 30 miles twice with the premium cover on it and poles in place. No scratches but I have the poles standing tall and tight. I did notice that the straps from the poles harm the charcoal 1/4 pinstripe that the boat has between the black and white parts. (That Yamaha puts vinyl stripes on a boat is sad at the price point these are at. I took the factory stripes off after my first outing - they are not durable at all.). That said, if you are getting scratches and are going on a road trip, put some painter's tape on the parts that are where the cover meets the black. This would protect from any mild rubbing and it comes off easily with no sticky residue.

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
That's a great idea. Took my boat to the dealership yesterday for its first service. Showed them the scratches and they said they would look into it and of course they have never seen this before. Also showed them the broken fenders and they have never seen that. Amazing.