• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

OK Which cover to get?

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Talked to the dealer today about all my problems with the boat and trailer. They told me I was out of luck on the scratches and the cover is not designed to be towed with and its my own fault.

Georg

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have both covers: Bow and cocpit for towing (two hundred miles every week) and mooring for some days and the big one cover for winter (still in garage).

JEvanoff

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Talked to the dealer today about all my problems with the boat and trailer. They told me I was out of luck on the scratches and the cover is not designed to be towed with and its my own fault.
Yes, my boat is scratched all the way around below the rub rail. I used the shipping cover for over 2500 miles, no scratches. First time I used the deluxe cover, scratched. I have heard the same excuses from Yamaha customer service. He ask me how fast I traveled with the cover on, I told him 60-65mph. His response was that's too fast, the covers are designed to travel at a maximum speed of 55mph.
Yamaha will not admit fault to anything!!!

Fozzy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Yes, my boat is scratched all the way around below the rub rail. I used the shipping cover for over 2500 miles, no scratches. First time I used the deluxe cover, scratched. I have heard the same excuses from Yamaha customer service. He ask me how fast I traveled with the cover on, I told him 60-65mph. His response was that's too fast, the covers are designed to travel at a maximum speed of 55mph.
Yamaha will not admit fault to anything!!!
I took the advice of a member and have been putting painters tape at the rub points for long trips. It works. I still think it is the bouncy trailer causing the problem. I told my dealer to watch the product video of them towing with the cover on and show me where it said not to tow. He couldn't find anything to show me. The cover is actually designed so the air movement around the vents suck the cover tight. Dealer is working on getting me new tires to stop the vibration. I think that will help a ton.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I purchased the Deluxe Premium cover as well, for my AR240. I do not have an issue with it sagging anywhere. What else I discovered is the same as what others have already posted.
Cons: While the cover tows well due to it's designed 'suction-at-speed', I will no longer use it for towing as it scratched my paint below the rub rail, especially towards the rear. Heats up the interior a lot in the direct sun (black will do that, duh...) Also, it isn't waterproof...at all.
Pros: Easy to install by myself. Looks awesome. Fits VERY well. No poles needed even in heavy rain. It just fits well enough to not need them. Maybe if it gets older I may need them.
I will be water proofing it now that I read the post earlier about it needing it. That seems to be something it should already have. But oh well.

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So the black, deluxe premium cover is not waterproof at all? Frig, that is the one I wanted. Mine came with the greyish one and the plan was to get a black one in a season or two. The one I have does a decent job with the water, it ain't totally dry but it does well. The skirt that I had made I got in black to match the deluxe premium cover.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have both the gray and black mooring covers. The gray one came with the boat and is likely 5 years old. I bought the black one this past summer. My plan is to use the old one when in storage in effort to save the new one from the sun. Here are a few things I have noticed with the two.

• The black cover feels like it is a heavier material than my old gray one. (This may be from years of degradation by the sun, or the materials may have been different.)
  • For my 242, the black cover needs to have something placed between the hull and ratchet strap pockets to protect from rubbing. During the first tow, I got significant scratches on both sides under the ratchets. Simple folded microfiber towels worked perfectly.
  • Brand new, the covers will be mostly watertight. I have only seen small amounts of water through the black cover after heavy rains, even while traveling down the road at 70 mph.
  • The waterproofing on the covers is similar to camping equipment; the more you roll/unroll, stretch it out, let the sun and weather get to it, the less protection it offers.
  • Part of my end of year routine now includes scrubbing both sides of the cover with a deck brush and soapy water, then treating with 303 Fabric Guard. Last year, I had no issues after treating the cover, where I had significant leaks before. This also mostly cures the white dust problem. On a side note, I have also started removing the bimini and storing in the garage during extended storage periods. I had some wicked mildew growth last winter.

rsg1963

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So the black, deluxe premium cover is not waterproof at all? Frig, that is the one I wanted. Mine came with the greyish one and the plan was to get a black one in a season or two. The one I have does a decent job with the water, it ain't totally dry but it does well. The skirt that I had made I got in black to match the deluxe premium cover.
Well I don't want it to sound like it's netting material. ;) I does keep 95% of the water out, but since I was thinking it was 100% waterproof, I was disappointed.
Would I buy it again? yes. It's built and designed so well.
Also, I purchased the 303 waterproofing treatment suggested by others on this forum and will be treating it with that. The combination I feel will take care of the 5% of water without issue.

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks for the information on the 303-I just bought a gallon of that. I have not tried to clean the gray one, it looks pretty good but will try the light scrub and re-waterproofing it. It seems to do pretty good as it is but the 303 should help keep it strong. I was thinking I had to buy an aerosol can and those never seem to be quite is even in their spraying as they could be.

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I use a small garden sprayer and saturated the material pretty good. I think I used about 2/3 - 3/4 of the gallon jug for one cover. To make it manageable, I spread the cover out on my deck to clean and spray it. Once the dog quit walking all over it, it worked well.

piney1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks - I use the same kind of sprayer for Maguires Final Inspection for my cars. Those things are very handy.