• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

"On the road" hub replacement kit for Shorelandr trailer

Silly question, what do I aim the IR thermometer at? The rotor? The part of the hub that sticks out through the wheel? Thanks!

The irony of this discussion. My father tows his Lund Pro-V over to my place this past Tuesday. On the way, the bearing buddy fell off and he lost the bearing and pretty much trashed the hub.

The part of the hub sticking through the wheel will get hot as well. It's the housing the holds the bearings, races, and grease that surround the spindle that the hub rides on. So yes, any part of the barrel portion of the hub will get hot if it is low on grease or a bearing goes out.

His was low on grease, bearing failed, blew out the bearing and the races, and then blew the bearing buddy off on the trip due to heat expansion of what was left. When I pulled the hub off, the remainder of the bearings fell on the floor.

Don't let this scare you. If he had maintained his bearings, the hub may have never failed. And bearing buddies are a help, but sometimes you just gotta pull that hub and pack those bearings good.

Best of luck!

Silly question, what do I aim the IR thermometer at? The rotor? The part of the hub that sticks out through the wheel? Thanks!

I was taking different readings on both brake and non-brake axles..
The wheel itself, the hub part that protrudes through where the bearing buddy is, the brake caliper.
I compared the temps between the non-brake and brake axles and port/starboard sides. I also used the "touch the hubs with my hands" approach. None of them were too hot to the touch.
I did pack them with grease prior to the trip and made sure there was enough room for expansion when the temps went up.

I did have a hub with bearings from my 2005 MFI trailer does anyone know if that would fit on the 2017 trailer.

Just searched and looks like they could fit this was the info posted from a search on MFI trailers

Boat trailer hubs and bearings
Seals 2.56OD 1.68iD
dexter part 010-172-00 (168255TB)
Or
Ultra-Tow bearing kit #57124713, inner 1-3/8, outer 1-1/16, seal 1-23/32

Last edited:
Back