• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

On the water and lost steering on starboard engine

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is there anything I can see to fix or adjust from the engine compartment or must pull the boat out of water? The bucket swings freely left and right.

Andy S

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Cobalt
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Nothing to look at in the engine compartment. The issue is probably at the bucket and is a loose/lost connection from cable to bucket.

To get a quick response from a group of folks use the @HELP in your message.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think you are going to have to pull it out of the water. I agree it is likely the cable/bucket connection.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Yes and don't keep steering since you could bend/damage the cable if it gets hung up.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
image.jpeg That broke. Does that rod just unscrew and replace?

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nope. You'll need a new steering cable.

itsdgm

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Are you out for the day? Or on a long trip? It's possible that you might be able to weld it together to get you through a trip if you can't find a replacement.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If it is the right side nozzle steering cable that broke, and I suspect it is you can swap your tie rod to the left side nozzle to let you continue to steer back to the ramp etc,, the right one will just shoot water straight with the cable broken in an emergency this can get you home . it won't hurt to have the cable broken, I suspect the keel struck something while you were turning and locked up the nozzle, the rack and pinion places a lot more force on those cables you just don't feel it because the gear ratio is doubled from the regular helm.

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
We got it back to our marina and on the trailer. Trying not lose our fall boating. Is the steering cable replacement a big job? Was hoping maybe I could replace on my own one evening. If it goes back to the dealer she's done for the season....

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It isn't all that difficult if you are mechanically inclined however it can be a pain in the butt

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I think now it may be more obvious why I designed the Magnum A K steering system for that model boat that also adds a second tie rod to the other side to even everything out.
With a single cable it pushes or it pulls, but it only does one function at a time with the right side working the nozzle plus the center rudder, but with two tie rods one side is pushing and one side is pulling this also shares the load but because both actions taking place at the same time the likely hood of either cable breaking is very small. The wear and tear is evened out and even if you lost a cable the entire system would continue to work to get you home.

Last edited:

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad you found it and @Cobra Jet Steering LLC , your design is excellent. If I understand it correctly, the OEM design only has 1 tie rod. I think I would buy another tie rod and do what you did for the fin setup.

I would think a steering cable would be easy since you don't have any corrosion yet although accessibility can be a pain. For the most part, you attach the new cable to the old cable and "fish" it through but I am oversimplifying it a bit.

You might try JB weld or welding if you want to do another run. Others may have better ideas on joining metal for a marine application but JB weld is some good stuff.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If he can locate someone who does stainless welding and he has the ends welded back together it may hold up for the remainder of the season if it is welded correctly. J B weld unfortunately would not last a minute.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
To save your season and not compromise the steering I would get the cable welded for the time being, then swap the tie rod to the left side nozzle , simply unbolt it from the end of the right nozzle and re bolt it to the left side it's that simple you will now be placing a reduced load on the repaired cable and relying on the other cable to turn the rudder. However you will definitely want to replace the cable in the off season.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
F Y I anyone who wants to add a second tie rod, You can email me or pm me. I build these with all stainless parts , unlike the aluminum ends on the factory rods this is a lot more expensive that using aluminum ends. The rods also come with the other bolts , washers and nuts needed to add on the rod to the existing steering system. I don't have them listed separately on my web page and I only have a few in stock since it is the end of the season for most people but I have had several requests for those and I can build more if needed. The complete stainless tie rod setup will run 169.00 stand alone or the magnum A K series steering system including the tie rod, bolts etc is $324.25 for the complete steering kit.

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
F Y I anyone who wants to add a second tie rod, You can email me or pm me. I build these with all stainless parts , unlike the aluminum ends on the factory rods this is a lot more expensive that using aluminum ends. The rods also come with the other bolts , washers and nuts needed to add on the rod to the existing steering system. I don't have them listed separately on my web page and I only have a few in stock since it is the end of the season for most people but I have had several requests for those and I can build more if needed. The complete stainless tie rod setup will run 169.00 stand alone or the magnum A K series steering system including the tie rod, bolts etc is $324.25 for the complete steering kit.
I'd go for the whole system as you'll get peace of mind and a great steering system.