• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One more engine trouble thread

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was out boating this afternoon when my starboard side engine was running fine but then stop producing any thrust. I was probably running at 5500 to 6000 RPMs. I shut the engine down and came home on one engine (One can say what they want about two engines but I will never have another single engine boat). I read the Engine Trouble thread started by Wilco. Because the engine has no problem starting I have eliminated the timing chain issue. Because it was rough and I was by myself I did not check to see if the access port had popped loose. I checked at the dock and it was not, however, I did not take it off to see if there was debris inside it. I did start the engine when on the lift. It started quickly and did not sound rough. Anyway is it possible that debris got stuck at the input and came loose when placed on the lift or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks for your assistance[flag]

Troch1

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I was out boating this afternoon when my starboard side engine was running fine but then stop producing any thrust. I was probably running at 5500 to 6000 RPMs. I shut the engine down and came home on one engine (One can say what they want about two engines but I will never have another single engine boat). I read the Engine Trouble thread started by Wilco. Because the engine has no problem starting I have eliminated the timing chain issue. Because it was rough and I was by myself I did not check to see if the access port had popped loose. I checked at the dock and it was not, however, I did not take it off to see if there was debris inside it. I did start the engine when on the lift. It started quickly and did not sound rough. Anyway is it possible that debris got stuck at the input and came loose when placed on the lift or should I be looking for something else?

Thanks for your assistance[flag]
Not to be mean, but you spent the time to type that long description, but didn’t check the obvious thing like your clean out port? My suggestion...check your clean out port. If there’s grass or debris there obstructing water flow, it could still run normally out of the water.

Mark

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Definitely possible debris could have fallen out once on the lift

Pull your plugs and feel around as much as possible and then water test it again

Last edited:

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Troch1
Mark I did not see your comment as being mean. I should had done that when I checked to see if the pull out port had popped. Will check tomorrow if the rain has stopped and I appreciate the advice.

MidnightRider

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Malibu
Year
Boat Model
Wake
Boat Length
Not only could it have fallen out / cleaned out when you put it on the lift, you also have the whole way back on one engine that could have washed it out. Sounds like you sucked something up and it washed/fell out on the way back.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One more question. How do you all check your plugs in 3 foot plus seas without falling overboard or do you just limp home on one engine like I did.[flag]

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One more question. How do you all check your plugs in 3 foot plus seas without falling overboard or do you just limp home on one engine like I did.[flag]
There is no good answer for that @John McLaughlin because if you do you could be washed overboard and if you don't you can only operate in single engine mode at no wake speed unless you have tow valves. It must have been very difficult to make headway under those conditions. I would be on the swim platform trying to get the dead engine started but I'm pretty risk tolerant. I don't recommend that for everybody.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Gym
Thank you maybe if I was younger I would have tried it however i was by myself and just did not want to chance being bounced off of the stern. I notice you are in Falmouth. We will be in Humrock for a week in September so I was wondering how the sharks are this year. One of the best signs I ever saw for warning about swimming with the sharks was at nausea beach, IMG_0151.JPG

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just being by yourself is a good reason for NOT attempting a fix at sea in those conditions. I congratulate you for making a wise decission.

Humrock is in beautiful Scituate, MA. Not sure where Nausea beach is but I haven't heard of any problems in Scituate. Only issuesI know of have been on the outer Cape where the harbor seals hang out. We're in East Falmouth. There haven't been any shark issues in the 10 years I've been there. If you decide to visit the Cape while you're here give me a heads up.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Nauset Beach is on the Ocean in Welfeet. I use to go there as a child with my parents

Gym

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Oh, Nauset beach. There have been issues there. Not sure how many. Are you staying in that area? Anyplace, like Wellfleet, that has a seal population will likely have sharks.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Nauset Beach is on the Ocean in Welfeet. I use to go there as a child with my parents
Best oysters. Ever.
Among other awesome things.
I would kill for that, to be able to move to Boston area right now.

--

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Best oysters. Ever.
Among other awesome things.
I would kill for that, to be able to move to Boston area right now.

--
No you wouldn’t they don’t call it Taxssachusetts for nothing.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We stay at the AF recreation Center in Humrock Is called Fourth Cliff however some of the cliffs have been wiped out in storms.

John McLaughlin

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Now back to my original post. I did pull the plug and it was clean. I am thinking I picked up some debris maybe even a plastic bag (but I real have no idea). Anyway it started and ran like champ today.[flag]

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Now back to my original post. I did pull the plug and it was clean. I am thinking I picked up some debris maybe even a plastic bag (but I real have no idea). Anyway it started and ran like champ today.[flag]
I wonder about the cleanout (hatch/cover) switches, going through very rough water those can temporarily stop an engine (when you get jolted). Don;t know if that happened, but I wouldn;t be surprised.
Man, 3ft+ seas are no joke in any small boat, but in our Yammies it is an experience.
Sometimes all you can do is just to hold on to dear life!

--

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
No you wouldn’t they don’t call it Taxssachusetts for nothing.
Oh, I know! I could not afford it right now anwyway. But one day...
I've lived in various places, Boston and NE is just like nothing else, really, that comes close.

--

Weeb

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Oh, I know! I could not afford it right now anwyway. But one day...
I've lived in various places, Boston and NE is just like nothing else, really, that comes close.

--
My house taxes were up to 7k a year. Moved to NC $1200 a year. I lived in Bridgewater about 30 miles south of Boston.

WilCo

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm a single engine boater so it's not applicable, but curious...
I understand when you are being towed, you have to either do some work to prevent water from coming in to the engine or be towed at very slow speed. Wouldn't the same apply when coming in with a single engine running only?

GiddYupJoe

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
NA
I'm a single engine boater so it's not applicable, but curious...
I understand when you are being towed, you have to either do some work to prevent water from coming in to the engine or be towed at very slow speed. Wouldn't the same apply when coming in with a single engine running only?
Yes when in a twin and Only running one engine you either want to go below no week speed or cut off the cooling hose for the second engine and go above No wake speed.