• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

One wheel on trailer hot...bearings???

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Its a 7mm hex bolt. They are the slide pins on which the caliper slides. I was able to buy the correct hex bit to remove them. All the brake parts look in pretty decent condition. I lubed up all the sliding mechanisms, and put it back together, but the caliper is still sticking. I was able to push it apart using a C-clamp. Anything else it could be?

I'm pretty sure that the actuator is ok, and is releasing. The other wheel (driver's side) unlocks just fine, and there is only one line going to the breaks. It looks like the passenger side is the master, and the driver's side is the slave, with a hydraulic line running across the back axel.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@ncnmra I have the same boat and trailer. Had the same thing happen years ago. I was able to exercise the caliper enough that it worked but only for a couple weeks. I believe you are going to have to replace the caliper. It is not a difficult job.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The caliper is held to the backing plate with a bolt with a 9 /16" head. So 9 /16" socket to remove. The slide pins, behind the rubber boot are not the easiest way to remove the caliper.
20180617_082600.jpgJust noticed, I need to replace a brake hose.

Last edited:

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I lubed everything up and it is still binding, so I'm going to replace both calipers to be safe. I'm debating if I should just replace the actuator while I'm at it...thoughts?

@buckbuck & @zipper : It looks like I have the same brakes as in the photo, but mine are painted black?? Also, did you reuse the tee fitting, because I understand that the UFP DB35s do not come with a T fitting, at least it doesn't look like it from the photos online.

I was able to remove the caliper piston slides using a 7mm hex bit, but it looks like I cross threaded one of them on the way back....another reason to just replace the whole bloody thing.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yes, I reused the "T". It came with a fitting that did not allow the connection of the cross over brake line to the other side.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yes, I reused the "T". It came with a fitting that did not allow the connection of the cross over brake line to the other side.
Ok thanks! I think that bolt is what is called the "banjo" bolt? It has a hole through it for the fluid to run. I couldn't find a part number for that fitting anywhere online, otherwise I'd order one for good measure too.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I also reused mine.
You are going to need a helped to bleed the brakes.

ncnmra

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I found a local shop that can get me the parts and do the work. It is about 10 miles from my house (back roads). I have a 2018 Ford Explorer Sport. How stupid is it to tow the boat to the mechanic with the lockout engaged. Obviously I won't be going highway speeds, and will leave lots of room. I understand that the Explorer Sport has some pretty heavy duty brakes.

My other option is to leave the brakes on, but then it will be dragging, and going to get super hot.