• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Outdoor storage yard guys... Covered vs uncovered?

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Finally looking at getting my boat down to Florida and needing somewhere to store it. Found a few options in the 150 bucks a month range for covered. Uncovered was like 120, so didn't pay it much mind.

Then I found a uhaul yard that's 60 bucks a month for uncovered. Huge cost savings that'd pay for a new oem cover every year if it needed to, and it's convenient and all that.

So y'all that store outside, is it even worth it to go covered? I'd considered getting like a canopy tent thing for it to try to cover it some, but is it even worth it?

AZMark

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Different ballgame here obviously, but I’d go covered for that price.

It puts more wear and tear on everything that isn’t covered (gelcoat on sides of the boat, trailer, tires) and gets much hotter under that black cover in full sun too.

I used two big rectangle shade sail things draped over my tower to cover and shade most of the boat and trailer but it was a big hassle every time.

Brad_Ct

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The sun down here beats up everything left out in it. I would go with covered storage.

steveinmd

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
195S
Boat Length
The boat fitting in the garage was the determining factor for me. I know that leaving it out would bother me to no end. Stays clean and secure. Can you use one of those metal frames carports at the uhaul place?

flyingnugget

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
You would be amazed at how hot the interior of that boat gets with the cover on it outside in the sun. Especially in FL. I would go covered for that price in a heart beat.

I can’t find crap for covered storage in my area of GA so it sits outside and I’ve been putting a Harbor Freight silver tarp over my black morning cover to help reduce the heat and wear. Tarp last about a season before getting brittle and replaced

Yea, I know the price of a tarp and staying outside vs the extra cost of covered is consideration for you but the tarp only does so much vs covered and shaded storage from the sun and rain.

I would be under shade if I could find something near by.

as for canopy tent idea…. BAD idea. With the storms in FL and that sucker gets lose and airborne you would liable for damages on everything it hit. Those bad boys are well known to take flight.

BlkGS

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I dunno if uhaul would let me throw up my own little tent carport thing. Probably, not like it costs them anything. They also don't have covered storage there, so it's not like they're missing out on the upsell

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I’d pick the 150 covered if u can, u haul will have lots of foot traffic vs exclusive boat/rv storage. it would also help if you work on your boat, the sun make the boat so hot on the summer in Florida I have to put flip flops cause it burn my feet lol

Benny Sibbitt

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No question, if you can afford pay for covered storage and still use a boat cover. it will keep your boat looking new in the Florida sun.

Inthrustwetrust

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Covered if you can. Mine sits in my Florida driveway with just the Yamaha cover. It gets real hot, and the sun is brutal on everything here in Florida. Also, water does get in, even with a boat cover on it. Not a huge deal but it requires a wipe down in the corners where the water doesn’t completely drain and then evaporates. With a roof you are getting protection from all the elements, including hail and such. I would not put up anything that’s not permanent over it. Wind takes it, it’s going to scratch/damage your boat and likely several others.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
My covers hold up fine in direct sun, but the sun is absolutely brutal.

I would pay extra for cover if I were you. Usually a better place then your u-haul. +1 if they have electric and water.