• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Overgrown Weeds in Marina!!

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Last Saturday and Sunday, myself along with 4 other jet skis sucked up so much weeds from our marina we had to pull each watercraft out just to get things clear. Normally I wouldn’t care, but it happened two days in a row. At first I thought it was poor maneuvering, not avoiding dead floating weeds. But the other day I got a closer look at the area in front of my dock, and there’s weeds coming up inches below the water surface... a closer look around the marina shows weeds like this in most of the high traffic areas...

I’ve been at this marina for about two months and this is the worse I’ve seen it. No issues til now. I’m too afraid to go over the weeds for fear of clogging my intake again, and ruining yet another warm day.

Any suggestions as to how to get rid of underwater weeds? 😬 I was going to try a big rake but I’ve also heard Diqua Herbicide works really well.A4F35BAC-D9C3-4D46-97CB-02773DD2E213.jpeg3E51091E-4BA6-46B2-B9B4-1CF17E6DED22.jpeg68DD933E-433B-4CA6-B7DC-2107A3EDFE1C.jpeg

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Well, the marina should control the weeds; it is part of what you are paying for with your storage/slip. I would contact them, preferably with several of your fellow boaters. My marina is on a salt water sound, and part of their yearly routine is to have the marina basin dredged.

You did not say where the weeds were a problem - at the launch/fork lift site, all over or ...?

If only a small area needs to be treated, you could do it yourself, but you would be in an unusual situation. There could be various regulations and the marina might not appreciate your help. Talk to the marina operator, and then you can evaluate whether you want to avail yourself of self help - when no one else is around.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I've used, at my families cabin, a long weed cutter. Basically a pole with two 4' blades on each side set in a v-shape with a rope attached to it. Does a pretty good job of slicing everything up. However then everything floats to the surface and you now have to get rid of it all or wait for it to float away.

I agree with the others, this looks like an issue with the marina, I would ask them to deal with it.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Get youself an underwater hedge trimmer. Milfoil has plugged me up twice in no-wake speed. Not as much of a problem if you can be on plane running thru it. Making the weedline work for your lake -- Wisconsin Natural Resources magazine -- April 1997
That is something i will have to look into.. Im going to contact the marina to see what they say first. If they dont do anything about the weeds, then i will have no choice but to do it myself.. And find somewhere else to slip my boat for the coming seasons.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Miitch Makes my chest tighten a bit looking at the picture with all the weeds. Here it Michigan they get a bit tall in the water by Mid August on some lakes. Not looking forward to it. Looks like a great place to fish though.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
You did not say where the weeds were a problem - at the launch/fork lift site, all over or ...?
Those pictures are right in front of my slip. I have noticed vegetation of similar size in front of MANY other docks, i just didnt feel comfortable with taking pictures. Most other boaters probably dont care as they have props :p But a lot of these weeds are in high traffic areas, particularity in front of the gas dock / launching ramp and all along the main stretch out into the lake. I have no problem taking care of my own weeds, but i cant rake out the entire main stretch of the marina.. I have contacted the others that got stuck with me. We are going to speak with the marina tomorrow and weigh out options.

I've used, at my families cabin, a long weed cutter. Basically a pole with two 4' blades on each side set in a v-shape with a rope attached to it. Does a pretty good job of slicing everything up. However then everything floats to the surface and you now have to get rid of it all or wait for it to float away.

I agree with the others, this looks like an issue with the marina, I would ask them to deal with it.
do you have any pictures of this thing? I was told by friends and family to try using a garden rake, but looking at the size of the weeds, i don't think a rake and brute force will be enough.. might have to use a bladed tool. Just trying to get options weighed out and have tools ready in case the marina wont do anything about it. I will not be spending my long weekend pulling out weeds.

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Miitch Makes my chest tighten a bit looking at the picture with all the weeds. Here it Michigan they get a bit tall in the water by Mid August on some lakes. Not looking forward to it. Looks like a great place to fish though.
I was expecting some plant growth, but not to this level.. it seemed to have come out of nowhere.

But yes, the fishing in here is quite good, I’ll admit. Buddy of mine pulled this chunky pike out a while back. one cast! But I’ll take a clean marina over fish any day.
50CBADFE-6585-4493-8BC3-48FAF1E5A621.png

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
That is something i will have to look into.. Im going to contact the marina to see what they say first. If they dont do anything about the weeds, then i will have no choice but to do it myself.. And find somewhere else to slip my boat for the coming seasons.
Weeds were one of the reasons we moved from Keeler Bay in 2016 to Malletts Bay in 2017. The owner of the marina in Keeler Bay had a home made harvester/Cutter a submersible blade about 8' long suspended from a pontoon boat. It worked great in and around the marina. They cut a channel out to the end of no-wake about 100' from the docks. I would have to hit it at the no-wake sign to get up on plane. The same coming in, on plane to the no-wake and then slow down. If you didn't, you would get plugged up. The move to Malletts Bay was better, deeper water. However late in the Summer and my slip in the shallower waters of the marina due to slip size we encountered milfoil again. Glad I had clean out plugs.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Those pictures are right in front of my slip. I have noticed vegetation of similar size in front of MANY other docks, i just didnt feel comfortable with taking pictures. Most other boaters probably dont care as they have props :p But a lot of these weeds are in high traffic areas, particularity in front of the gas dock / launching ramp and all along the main stretch out into the lake. I have no problem taking care of my own weeds, but i cant rake out the entire main stretch of the marina.. I have contacted the others that got stuck with me. We are going to speak with the marina tomorrow and weigh out options.

do you have any pictures of this thing? I was told by friends and family to try using a garden rake, but looking at the size of the weeds, i don't think a rake and brute force will be enough.. might have to use a bladed tool. Just trying to get options weighed out and have tools ready in case the marina wont do anything about it. I will not be spending my long weekend pulling out weeds.

Here is something similar on Amazon:

Last year when we cut a path (weeds were so bad they choked out my I/O!) I stood on the back of his pontoon - worked good until we hit a stump and bent the blade, but otherwise slick as snot.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I mean your boat is basically a really expensive lawn mower...

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Weeds were one of the reasons we moved from Keeler Bay in 2016 to Malletts Bay in 2017. The owner of the marina in Keeler Bay had a home made harvester/Cutter a submersible blade about 8' long suspended from a pontoon boat. It worked great in and around the marina. They cut a channel out to the end of no-wake about 100' from the docks. I would have to hit it at the no-wake sign to get up on plane. The same coming in, on plane to the no-wake and then slow down. If you didn't, you would get plugged up. The move to Malletts Bay was better, deeper water. However late in the Summer and my slip in the shallower waters of the marina due to slip size we encountered milfoil again. Glad I had clean out plugs.
Wishing i had clean out plugs right about now :banghead: 😅 there has been a couple of times last week i felt the weeds getting sucked up and just did the old goose neck the throttle and slam it into reverse - in the marina mind you - followed by a classic death stare from the old timers living on their boats. I felt like a bit of an ass, but id rather get glares and be on the water, then have to be seen pulling a boat out of the water with a small rain forest growing out of my intake grates.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Miitch Get it, you must. Would be awesome. You could then go around and charge people, you would make a killing. Perhaps enough for a brand new boat. ;)

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
I mean your boat is basically a really expensive lawn mower...
With the amount of weeds its already pulled out, i should be going in there asking for a paycheck. Or starting my own marine landscaping business...

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
Last Saturday and Sunday, myself along with 4 other jet skis sucked up so much weeds from our marina we had to pull each watercraft out just to get things clear. Normally I wouldn’t care, but it happened two days in a row. At first I thought it was poor maneuvering, not avoiding dead floating weeds. But the other day I got a closer look at the area in front of my dock, and there’s weeds coming up inches below the water surface... a closer look around the marina shows weeds like this in most of the high traffic areas...

I’ve been at this marina for about two months and this is the worse I’ve seen it. No issues til now. I’m too afraid to go over the weeds for fear of clogging my intake again, and ruining yet another warm day.

Any suggestions as to how to get rid of underwater weeds? 😬 I was going to try a big rake but I’ve also heard Diqua Herbicide works really well.View attachment 127743View attachment 127744View attachment 127745
@Miitch ....a common occurrence NOW where I boat. C19 has slowed down boat use and my buddies with the built-in "weed cutters" AKA I/Os are not keeping the marina fairways clean. Around my slip there were weed problems. Some guys bought salt lick blocks made for cattle, some used herbicide (although you will lose your slip at my marina for doing that). I bought a rubber rake head on Amazon and an extendable pole to attach it to. Yes, it is a bit of work and does have to be done every 5 days or so but I just stand on the swim platform and walk down the port side of the boat to the bow cleaning a path around and under that boat. The rubber head will not harm the gel coat even if it bumps it. As more I/Os start being used the weeds will get a haircut. :cool:

Miitch

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Canuckjetboater I think that may be my issue as well.. Not a whole lot of boats going out, which is evident from the algae growth on most of the props LOL. But a rake or blade of some sort seems to be the preferred method of weed removal... Just dont know how much ill be able to get out. The weeds stretch pretty far out in front of my dock, and the main channel out to the lake is infested too...

Might have to buy a jug of herbicide, slip on the black jumper, and go Splinter Cell agent one night.

I will see what happens this weekend. I will be speaking with my Marina tomorrow.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

Canuckjetboater

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
@Canuckjetboater I think that may be my issue as well.. Not a whole lot of boats going out, which is evident from the algae growth on most of the props LOL. But a rake or blade of some sort seems to be the preferred method of weed removal... Just dont know how much ill be able to get out. The weeds stretch pretty far out in front of my dock, and the main channel out to the lake is infested too...

Might have to buy a jug of herbicide, slip on the black jumper, and go Splinter Cell agent one night.

I will see what happens this weekend. I will be speaking with my Marina tomorrow.
@Miitch .....has your marina considered getting a weed harvester in. I heard that a group of cottagers chipped-in to get a weed harvester company in. They will do one more harvest in mid August as part of the price. Maybe if everyone in your arina chipped-in $10 you could get the guys in? Otherwise I like "splinter cell"!!!!! :cool:

Elliott

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
If you marina complains about the time or expense, you might direct them to this website:

Cost to treat 1/2 acre is $350