• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Overpriced Jet Boat?

McKensie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Is he mechanically inclined? Cause paying someone to work out the bugs wont be cheap.
He is - to a degree. He knows quite a bit and anything he doesn't, YOUTUBE it is!

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
He is - to a degree. He knows quite a bit and anything he doesn't, YOUTUBE it is!
If you guys can get that boat for 5-6k, assuming it runs and does not take in water, that could be a great project and a lovely boat and a lot of fun.
But, keep in mind that it is not just the electric, gauges and mechanical issues. If the wood panels (encapsulated in fiberglass) such as in transom, stringers, and deck are rotten... that could be a very BIG project to make it seaworthy. Looking for any soft spots can be tricky, too -- I would try to get yourself familiar with WHAT TO LOOK FOR, thehulltruth has thousands of projects you can check out. Than go look at the boat and decide.

--

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I cant remember if it was said in this thread but look at the top of the jet pump pic its missing bolts and seals where the cables come out this means its likely taking on water while out so check that out.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Uhhh...run the other direction. Especially if you want to have an enjoyable, on the water ownership period with a boat. Enough said

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Uhhh...run the other direction. Especially if you want to have an enjoyable, on the water ownership period with a boat. Enough said
Not if he can get it for 5k. Come on.

--

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think much of it has to do with your (and his) objective in having a boat.

If you (he) wants a project boat that he can learn to take apart in his sleep and will have fun fixing gauges and hunting leaks and finding gaskets and maybe take out a couple of times a year (because the rest of the time it is in pieces), this may be the boat for you. As others have mentioned, $9k would be steep for such a project boat.

If you (he) wants something that the family can take out every weekend (or nearly) and go cruising in, that will not be this boat. Even if you don't do it yourself, it will be in the shop all the time. Or if you want something to tow folks. Or host another couple and cruise. Or have the kid and all his friends out on. Yeah, all of those things, then I would say you need to look elsewhere. But looking elsewhere for a boat that will be reliable and much more flexible to these goals will probably run you more than $9k.

treeskier

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If you have $9000 to spend find yourself a nice Yamaha LS or LX2000 2000-2002 vintage. Great inexpensive family boat and if you look for some one on here selling one you will get one that's likely in great shape. You'd probably pay $6000-9,000 and have a great starter boat that's fun for the family and inexpensive to maintain.

MrWizard

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just to give my 02 cents-

I run mainly the Susquehanna River here in the Harrisburg area, the deepest depth I've seen is 10'. After two summers of boating this river on my own and 3+ years beforehand on OPB (other people's boats) I feel confident in running right up to the 1.5' depth. Our waterbed ranges from rocky to muck to sand (odd I know).
I have a 2008 SX230... Just to give you an idea of what I'm working with. Obviously I'm not going to try and get on plane at 1.5' but as soon as the depth is over 2 feet I typically will.

Good luck with your search. I'm curious to know what you decide. I personally would go with a more modern jet.

Jgorm

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Do a compression check for sure. I just bought a boat that ran fine for the test drive, and my first day. Then it had problems starting. The compression is bad:( I should have run the test. I said I would, but the engines liked great, and ran prefect. Oil looks fine too.

biglar155

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That's not a boat for little kids. As a Father of 4, I wouldn't give it a second look if I wanted a family boat.

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Don't let us scare you off, we will still help if you guys decide to purchase! Let us know how it goes!