• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Overpriced Jet Boat?

McKensie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm looking to buy a new jet. I found one, private party. It's a 1991 Omega Jet(Berkeley) Includes Electric Jet-A-Vator w/ a 454 bb. All original interior and exterior. The boat looks clean from what I can see online. The owner has it in Havasu, which is about 3 hours from where I am. He is asking for $9,000 OBO. Now according to him, the boat has no issues with running. The cover is on it's way out he says. The radio doesn't work (he's unsure if it's wiring, fuses, or something more intense) There's an issue with the gauges not reading properly but other than that - it runs and sounds good (He says)
He mentioned that when he bought the boat, there was a leak in the bowl of the jet pump. But he took it apart and replaced the gasket. Which he included photos of the process.
The trailer is just okay he says. He rewired it two years ago - and it looks like it could use a good paint job to spiffy it up. Minor for sure. He didn't know the hours - but said he maybe put 20 on the past two years he's had it.

So I used NADA as a reference - it lists @ $4,255. I know this is just a guide and it doesn't include the condition of the boat. (i.e fair, good, excellent.. )

I have arranged to drive out next weekend to meet him and square something away. Assuming, that all looks well in person.

Before I make a complete fool out of my pocket book - is $9,000 crazy? Where should I start, what should I not exceed?

1.JPG 2.JPG

Attachments

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Welcome Aboard!

I am unfamiliar with this make of boat.

The multitude of maintenance issues would scare me.

I would think that the majority of the value would be in the engine with the hull having minimal value.

How does she run? How fast?

McKensie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks, Bruce!
He claims the boat "runs" fine. Sounds good, too. I suppose I will find out for sure next weekend.
I have a 4 year old, so I can't say that speed is what I'm really after. Although, it would be nice when it's just the adults cruising, for sure!

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We occasionally have members join who have or are looking for what we call Classic Jet Boats. These older jet boats are all about speed with little interest in comfort. One of my neighbors has a boat that is similar to what you are looking at. He gets her out a couple of times a year for 80 mph runs then puts her away. She is extremely loud and not at all kid friendly.

Most of us have modern jet boats in the 19' to 24' range. Typically we have two jetski engines powering the boats. Our boats are large, comfortable entertainment platforms with a top speed around 50.

I suggest shopping around to figure out what you would like.

If you post your location there may be a member nearby who could take you out to show you what modern jet boats are like.

McKensie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I'm in the High Desert of Southern California - about 2.5 hours south of Las Vegas.
Not sounding like such a great purchase to me now! We had a 23' Reinell, I/O, that we just parted with in the fall. It just felt "too big". Plus the $400 a month was diving a huge gouge in my pocket! Very deep and only lake appropriate.
I myself, love the river!! My good friend has place in Palo Verde and when we go out - it's just us, and the river! Jet boat or outboard inviting, for sure.

We have a vacation home in Willow Valley near Needles - which makes easy for a launch at Jack Smiths (Pirates Cove).

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Not sure how shallow or rocky your river is but many use metal hulled jet boats for river stunts.

Yamaha Jet Boats typically have a 16" to 18" draft when sitting still and perhaps a third of that when on plane. We can get into shallow water but if you happen to get a rock or gravel into the jets it can cause damage so most try to stick with 3'+ of water depth.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Honestly I would think the stringers are probably rotten by now, I would say not to waste your time unless you can get it for half of what he is asking and you really can't live without owning that particular boat, I have a feeling it will be a money pit and you can do well buying a real jet boat not a hopped up fuel guzzling car engine placed in a very unstable hull, certainly not the type of boat for you and a small child,. I wonder if the screwdriver and adjustable wrench are included and I see teenage looking people driving the boat so I know they did not beat on it. Your first impression is usually correct. This entire thing just sounds soooo wrong

McKensie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Not sure how shallow or rocky your river is but many use metal hulled jet boats for river stunts.

Yamaha Jet Boats typically have a 16" to 18" draft when sitting still and perhaps a third of that when on plane. We can get into shallow water but if you happen to get a rock or gravel into the jets it can cause damage so most try to stick with 3'+ of water depth.
We do have rock and multiple sandbars. Kind of the reasoning of going jet vs. the I/O.
I think on our depth finder we found 7' to be the deepest portion.. ?

McKensie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Honestly I would think the stringers are probably rotten by now, I would say not to waste your time unless you can get it for half of what he is asking and you really can't live without owning that particular boat, I have a feeling it will be a money pit and you can do well buying a real jet boat not a hopped up fuel guzzling car engine placed in a very unstable hull, certainly not the type of boat for you and a small child,. I wonder if the screwdriver and adjustable wrench are included and I see teenage looking people driving the boat so I know they did not beat on it. Your first impression is usually correct. This entire thing just sounds soooo wrong
Yeah another scare! I found the owner on FB.. and he must only be about 22. Not sure if that's reason enough to not buy??

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How shallow of water do you want to boat in?

I have seen lots of videos of people jumping the metal hulled jets over logs and racing through rocky areas.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Yeah another scare! I found the owner on FB.. and he must only be about 22. Not sure if that's reason enough to not buy??
It's. Pretty cool looking boat but to me there are too many red flagd. The price being about 2X what it should be is just one. Non functioning gauges are another. 22 year old owner just another. Talking about a 25+ year old boat, meticulous maintenance and upkeep would be the key. That doesn't seem to be what is described or likely in this case.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you are looking for something you and your family will enjoy skip that one and find a older modern jet for sale. That thing will be fun running the guys around at neck breaks speeds and launching in the air off of one foot wake but not much else just my 2 cents but best of luck which ever way you go and welcome aboard!

McKensie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It's. Pretty cool looking boat but to me there are too many red flagd. The price being about 2X what it should be is just one. Non functioning gauges are another. 22 year old owner just another. Talking about a 25+ year old boat, meticulous maintenance and upkeep would be the key. That doesn't seem to be what is described or likely in this case.
Definitely! I'm sure the gauges would be an easy fix, or at least one would hope! But it does sound like a pill..

McKensie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
If you are looking for something you and your family will enjoy skip that one and find a older modern jet for sale. That thing will be fun running the guys around at neck breaks speeds and launching in the air off of one foot wake but not much else just my 2 cents but best of luck which ever way you go and welcome aboard!
Thanks! I appreciate the feeback :)

McKensie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
How shallow of water do you want to boat in?

I have seen lots of videos of people jumping the metal hulled jets over logs and racing through rocky areas.
I suppose there isn't really a depth - it would just be nice to know were not in any real danger if we hit 3' or a tad below! I certainly wouldn't take part in any stunts or trick maneuvers!

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

swatski

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@McKensie I agree with all the advice you are getting here. That said, it could be a great project boat.
If you are ready to take on something like that. There is not doubt it would be a challenge and take a LONG time.

--

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That seems like an extreme price for the known issues and unknown hidden issues that are sure to surface. I've seen them listed for that kind of money with fresh or low hour rebuilds, fresh paint and interior, and turn key. Ive always wanted one of these, but they seem like a tinker boat that is cool to show off and get out occasionally. Perhaps a good 2nd boat :D. For half that, I would look very closely and buy cautiously, after a water demo. That would also give you more of an idea if its the TYPE of boat you are interested in.

McKensie

Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
That seems like an extreme price for the known issues and unknown hidden issues that are sure to surface. I've seen them listed for that kind of money with fresh or low hour rebuilds, fresh paint and interior, and turn key. Ive always wanted one of these, but they seem like a tinker boat that is cool to show off and get out occasionally. Perhaps a good 2nd boat :D. For half that, I would look very closely and buy cautiously, after a water demo. That would also give you more of an idea if its the TYPE of boat you are interested in.
My husband is pretty insistent on going to view.. despite the reviews I've been reading off to him! Cross your fingers D:

skrip345

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Is he mechanically inclined? Cause paying someone to work out the bugs wont be cheap.