• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Overspray while pulling a tube

Blwalters

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
New SX190 owners and we need some advice. While pulling a tube with a 60’ rope, which seems to be the recommended length for tubes, riders are pelted with spray from the wake to the point of not wanting to ride. Is that normal with the jet drives? Advice?

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It's not for me but others report it,
How fast are you going?

You could make your own little mud flap to help knock it down

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We added 20’ of rope & it gets them out of the spray

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
We are at 75' and it has helped tremendously. My 4k rope is 65' plus a 10' added 4k section. Plus I went to Costco and purchased 4 packs of 3 swim goggles each so that if anyone wanted them they can grab a set.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
You are right in the zone. Jut lengthen your rope 10' - 15' but not too much longer than that. It should push them right back out of the spray.

No never use dock line. Use tow line only. Also if you are towing more than 2 I recommend a 4k rope for safety, I only use a 4k rope.

What I did was purchase another 4k line that had an extension on it and used the extension on my longer line.

Also all of my ropes are floating. From tube rope, to waterski rope, and Wake board rope.

Last edited:

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This rope has a 50' Section and a 10' Section. Cant find the exact one I have, but you get the idea. Put the 10' on your 60'. Not sure what rope you have but this is a 4k. Same brand I have. Works fantastic and floats.

Whats also nice is if my 60' breaks or gets frayed, I still have the 50' section to replace it with so the day is not a total loss, till I can get a replacement.

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went to 85' feet with a tow booster ball.
It's much better, not great.
Harder for me to control the tube while driving.
The spray still hits the rope and get in their eyes sometimes.
I have a 50' bungee rope, plus the booster ball (60') but I removed one side of the ropes so it is 50' plus the booster ball plus 30'.
The tow hook is low plus the jet wash, it just makes alot of spray as the rope goes through the jet wash.
Last boat was 19' i/o...50' rope worked great, no spray and I could control the tube much better while driving.
Hangoutdoors, you have all most the same boat as me plus the tower....do you tow from the tow hook or from the tower?

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have the booster ball and hate it. Can't stand it. Was really hoping it was magical, but it was not. It is in the garage and available for cheap if anyone wants it.

@jamesk I stopped at 75', didn't want to go too much farther for safety reasons, too many asshats flying around for me.

Blwalters

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Went to 85' feet with a tow booster ball.
It's much better, not great.
Harder for me to control the tube while driving.
The spray still hits the rope and get in their eyes sometimes.
I have a 50' bungee rope, plus the booster ball (60') but I removed one side of the ropes so it is 50' plus the booster ball plus 30'.
The tow hook is low plus the jet wash, it just makes alot of spray as the rope goes through the jet wash.
Last boat was 19' i/o...50' rope worked great, no spray and I could control the tube much better while driving.
Hangoutdoors, you have all most the same boat as me plus the tower....do you tow from the tow hook or from the tower?
We bought the one without the tower, wouldn’t fit in the garage 😀 Bought the tube from my brother in law, he pulled it behind a sea ray. No spray. Wish we had went out with someone that had a jet drive before we bought, definitely a learning curve.

Blwalters

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have the booster ball and hate it. Can't stand it. Was really hoping it was magical, but it was not. It is in the garage and available for cheap if anyone wants it.

@jamesk I stopped at 75', didn't want to go too much farther for safety reasons, too many asshats flying around for me.
Yeah it’s the same in Ky. Had a jet ski with a father and son(I’m guessing) cut 15’ behind my boat Saturday completely oblivious they were doing anything wrong. Luckily I was not pulling the kids.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@jamesk I tow from both points. The tower gets far less spray but takes more work and is real jerky in a chop with bow going up and down. From the lower tow point more spray but better ride. Hence the lengthening. Just throw some extra feet at it and will be much better. Proper strength tow rope, I would suggest for what you are doing.

Blwalters

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@jamesk I tow from both points. The tower gets far less spray but takes more work and is real jerky in a chop with bow going up and down. From the lower tow point more spray but better ride. Hence the lengthening. Just throw some extra feet at it and will be much better. Proper strength tow rope, I would suggest for what you are doing.
On amazon now!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
If exposing my tube riders to high speed water pellets wasn’t my favorite (but seldom done) move I would use a booster ball like the one pictured.

Attachments

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I don’t know if it works or not as I’ve never had or used one. I just assumed it works because of the reviews I’ve read here and on Amazon.

I had a 100’ tow rope once used for waterskiing, it was too long especially for some of the narrower river sloughs I boat in. The long length just made it more likely that I would run over the line.

JohnB

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Was just out with the tube tonight. I found a 60' rope with 2 bugee extensions hooked together worked well. Put the bungees on the boat end or they drag in the water and the knots throw spray at the tubers.

Here's the extensions I'm using:

gallobg

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have had great success using the Thrust Vector Wake on a 2019 AR195. It effectively drops the jet spray to about 10’ in front of the tube at 20mph. I use a 60ft rope attached to the tower and the riders stay pretty dry. Sometimes my kids wear still goggles because they don’t want any water near their eyes, but none of the adults do.

I’ll also point out that the angle of the jet spray is highly affected by the attitude of the boat in the water. You could also try moving people around inside the boat to find what works for you.