• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Part 4 Engine Reassembly To End Milky Oil

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Well here it is.
I took remachined head and bottom end to local JS shop. Had him install new OEM gaskets, chain and set TC and torque everything for $200 bucks.
I think it was fair seeing what I saved doing everything else myself and din't want to fudge that up.

Got rest of engine dressed with new block anode #10/#11, rebuilt dipstick with #36/#37/#40, o rings for #25, gasket for #18 for cooling passage covers. New oil cooler o rings to block, SS clamps for hoses running from oil cooler, finished with re wrapping wires with electrical tape.

Now for my question to help me bolt it in the boat
tomorrow to fire it up.

JS shop did not torque bolt holding oil gear. He said to use piece of wood to keep PTO from spinning as I try to torque it at 80 N.m or 59 ft-lb.
I tried but engine rocks on pan. I can't get leverage by myself.
May take it back tomorrow and have him do it if I cant figure it out or get friend to help hold wood and engine down. Any ideas?

Also, it asks for 1280B sealant on the front half circle of intake. Is there an alternative sealant to go there? Is it any RTV Silicone Liquid Gasket?
The SM also does not show diagram to a tightening pattern for the bolts. It just says criss cross 8 N.m or 5.9 ft-lb? So Start with middle top bolt then?

Hoping to test Friday rain or shine

Attachments

Last edited:

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For torqueing coupler, you could try putting plugs back it. That will create a little more resistance on the crankshaft. As for valve cover half circle holes, I used Permatex Aviation Form-A-Gasket Liquid Sealant. The valve cover should only be under breather/balancing pressure. Hope all goes well.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Spent all day getting engine in for 2nd time. I made mistake thinking I could get intermediate housing in after I rushed to get neighbors help yesterday.
Mistake #1.
Mistake #2 install long block only. As you need access to put starter ground and positive lead. Also makes putting shim and tightening engine mount bolt under lower half of exhaust effortless. Not so much in boat already

Finally got everything tightened down hours later, made all the connections and engine wont fire!
It cranks. stumbles then dies right away.
Hoping new plugs tomorrow will get it to fire and stay running as it was getting dark and I was exhausted

I'm at my wits end and it never seems to end. Any ideas as to "why" it tries to crank but then dies. Did mechanic screw up timing?
It has fuel pressure tested by removing fuel rail. Hoping tomorrow will be different

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One thought... be sure coils are seated in and all coils are well connected and in the right order.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Second thought... After a long day of frustrations and trying to meet a deadline, it can happen that something doesn't work or a mistake is made. Get some rest and sleep. Come back at it with fresh, rested eyes and check your work. Tough to say where the issue might be at this point, exactly. But I will give even money that when you look at it this morning that you see the issue right off (wire not hooked up, something not lined up, no fuel in tank, etc.) and are up and running.

Good luck and report back!

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like 80psi in all 4 cylinders may be the issue.
Compression before disassembly was 180 180 150 180
Going to have talk to mechanic and see what he says but I feel defeated as its either head or timing.

Picture shows arrows alging to cam mark so He'll say it set to spec.

Open to suggestions as I have until Monday to do anything about it. Anyone in Miami or known of anyone.
I'm willing to drive to get this fixed

Attachments

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On page 5-30 of your service manual, the timing mark positioning is illustrated. You can check this by removing the valve cover and getting your #1 piston to TDC. Removing the spark plugs and PTO cover will make this easier. Just place a long wooden dowel in the #1 sparkplug hole and observe the movement as you rotate the PTO coupler counter clockwise. You might be able to use a strap wrench to do this. BTW does your boat have a tower?
1595705351571.png
1595705862239.png

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I paid to have it done and took pictures before putting valve cover.

I'm taking it to him Monday for inspection and let him etermine its off or not.
Ill post back finding and ill keep my fingers crossed I get compression back

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like your bottom shaft in the photo is off by 180 degrees... There that arrow should be pointing to the same spot as with the top one (the little dark dot), according to that manual @WREKS posted.

But, yes, 80 psi on all cylinders would tend to make an engine not start. At least you have located a problem to fix!

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank You #Werks #tdonoughue
From picture I posted and SM its clear its timed wrong. Intake cam mark should be closer to sprocket and exhaust towards back.
Doohhh....

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looks like camshafts are switched. Something else to be aware of: Proper valve clearance. Sometimes that can get messed up due to wear and sometimes due to turning the head upside down and dropping the lifters and spacers out of their original positions. Hopefully this did not happen.

Last edited:

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
update.

Mechanic tried to BS but pictures don't lie and he made me go home and pop top off.

He doubted blue was intake and put it on exhaust side.

Wanted me to wait to Friday.
That didn't work for me, so he tells me Wednesday early.

I think guy may be color blind and going to ask him. Its the only reason to mess up so bad other than just negligence.

WREKS

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@14SX190 Is he going to check valve clearance also? If it is not in specification, you may be wasting your time putting it back in the boat. See post #11!

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
ill remind him as i doubt he would check
I know it was not flipped at disassembly and machinist was happy they were left in original position.
He put them back in order he said.

Last edited:

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
update

it runs.
compression 180 across cylinders
Friday is water test

Attachments

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
What did he do to repair it?

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
flipped cam
Had intake on exhaust

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Glad you found it! Have a good water test and report back. Pics preferred.

14SX190

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
update.

Boat runs like a bat out of hell.
Turns 7800 and hits 45mph but this was my oil.

Had a great time sitting at sand bar as it was a great day before hurricane hits us this weekend. Ramps are closed till Monday.

Hoping oil contamination is remnants of pervious oil that was not completely removed plus all the lubricating spay I used when engine was dissembled.

Changing oil again and trying again Tuesday.
Boat may be up for sale if not better or going to dealer for a 2021.

Attachments

Last edited: