• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Peek inside pump cone or not

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
So I pulled the pumps and the impellers need some work...but the shaft spins freely and feels pretty solid with no noise or rubbing.

I'm hesitant to take the cone off, since it appears to be well sealed, and has been for 10 years. If I peek, I can add new grease, but I run the risk of water intrusion if I don't seal it as well as the factory did (Or last guy, who know who last had it open)

The pump is making some noise while on the boat, when run dry, and the noise is from the pump, because I started the boat with no pump and the noise is gone... but the noise is not present when spinning by hand, and the whole mechanism feels solid and tight (so, where is the noise coming from? who knows.)

Crack it open? or Not?

Thanks!

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I say open it. You just think it's well sealed, you don't really know until you look.

I had the same dilemma in the fall. I figured since I wasn't the original owner it was better to know since the if it failed I'd have bigger problems.

I decided since we've had a few other members do it and check them yearly with no complaints about an issue resealing, it was worth the risk.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I will admit I have never yet pulled my pumps. So I am not one of those 'pull it every year to check' people. So far, if it is not making noise and is behaving (and my hours are low), I just go with it.

That said, if you already have the pumps off and are working on the impellers, I think it is a no-brainer to open them and check them out. You already have most of the work done. Hate to have you put everything back together and then hear a squeal...

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So I pulled the pumps and the impellers need some work...but the shaft spins freely and feels pretty solid with no noise or rubbing.

I'm hesitant to take the cone off, since it appears to be well sealed, and has been for 10 years. If I peek, I can add new grease, but I run the risk of water intrusion if I don't seal it as well as the factory did (Or last guy, who know who last had it open)

The pump is making some noise while on the boat, when run dry, and the noise is from the pump, because I started the boat with no pump and the noise is gone... but the noise is not present when spinning by hand, and the whole mechanism feels solid and tight (so, where is the noise coming from? who knows.)

Crack it open? or Not?

Thanks!
There is not gasket, I think, it is just an o-ring. So if you can source an o-ring there should be very little risk of messing up the seal - I think. The benefit of exchanging the grease is HUGE, and if you have water intrusion - you can make a plan of attack. If the bearings are still moving fine, it could be a project for down the road a year or a few with new grease.
These are just random thoughts, or my 0.02.

--

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Are you sure it is not just the impeller hitting swelling of the liner??? I have had pumps go bad and I can tell you when the bearings go bad there is a lot of issues including cavitation , look on the pump liner for dark spots or dark lines from friction where the impeller is hitting the liner also on the trailer spray some wd 40 in the pump on the liner and see if the noise quiets down immediately this would indicate the liner also

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Pump is silent when i spin by hand on the bench. Absolute silence.

Grease looks a little funky.

And bearing looks to have not much grease on it. Can i just push done grease all around? Is there a way to get grease to the back without breaking it apart?

Attachments

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Stainless surface looks smooth, nail won't catch on any grove lines. Looks like it's polished.

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sounds like everything is just fine then, I hold the pump opening up and pour some 80 or 90 gear lube in before closing the cone back up this will allow the grease to get to more places as it mixes with the gear lube but that is just what I do .

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ok thanks. There is the slightest amount of water in there... Second one looks a little worse, but just the slightest dampness. If/when the bearings are busted, can you feel it by hand? Other than the suspect looking grease it looks and feels very solid. I'm thinking to of with gear oil, new o ring and close it back up. (As Jeff suggested.)

Attachments

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
well my rule is if it has water in the cone replace the bearings and seals etc, any water at all is bad. If it were mine I would just do the pump bearings and seals to be safe.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Fully agree. There is no such thing as a 'little' water. I thought the grease looked a little cloudy--there is a lot of water in there. Clean the whole thing out, new grease/gear lube, new seals and be done.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Ok thanks. There is the slightest amount of water in there... Second one looks a little worse, but just the slightest dampness. If/when the bearings are busted, can you feel it by hand? Other than the suspect looking grease it looks and feels very solid. I'm thinking to of with gear oil, new o ring and close it back up. (As Jeff suggested.)
Hard to tell from the pics, I'm not sure I would be rushing to change the bearings... The bearing slook great and if they turn nice and smooth, just check once or twice the season, not that much work. Changing those is quite a little project.
Here is what it looks like when they get real bad:
https://jetboaters.net/threads/shaft-bearings-shot-now-stuck-shaft-ugh.157/#post-1077

--