• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Peloton Bike+ or Hydro Rower

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Road bike with a trainer and Zwift when you can't ride outdoors.

I just got done with a 25 mile ride with 7 buddies from around the country.

Kicked their asses (of course they didn't know it was a race, lol).
You using a static trainer or rollers?

I really don't want to give up my rollers (or splurge on a power meter), but like the idea of getting some interaction from the relative safety of my basement this winter.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
We went with the NordicTrack S22i - feature for feature the Peloton couldn't compete. Only advantage was the spin classes on the Peloton (better content in that regard). Cheaper price point and more features, it made sense to go with the s22i.
Thanks for commenting.

Interesting...What features are you referring too (compared to the peloton)? Do you subscribe to the classes? Is the price $39/mo? Is there anything you don't like or wish you had compared to the Peloton?

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I have the Peloton bike and treadmill and love them both. As far as build quality I found them better than any other subscription based bike currently on the market, but to me that's only half the reason. if your bike becomes a clothes hanger after a few months it doesn't matter how great their build quality is, that brings up the second reason I love this bike (and tread) and that's the classes/instructors. I think Peloton has cracked the code on providing an amazing range of classes and coaches that no other brand even comes close to. No matter your taste in music or instructor you can find the right combo of class/instructor/music to match what you want to do on that particular day (live or from their 1000's of recorded classes). The interface on how you can chose your classes and overall polish give a much better experience than the competing companies out there. The total package combine to really motivate you to want to work out, I have had it for over a year and I still cant wait to jump on and do a ride or run.

As far as total body workout I'd much rather do specific resistant strength training for the rest of my body (weights/cable etc.). For this I would think a rower would have an advantage, but I have never looked at a rower alone to cover all workout needs.

Just my 2 cents.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
I have the Peloton bike and treadmill and love them both. As far as build quality I found them better than any other subscription based bike currently on the market, but to me that's only half the reason. if your bike becomes a clothes hanger after a few months it doesn't matter how great their build quality is, that brings up the second reason I love this bike (and tread) and that's the classes/instructors. I think Peloton has cracked the code on providing an amazing range of classes and coaches that no other brand even comes close to. No matter your taste in music or instructor you can find the right combo of class/instructor/music to match what you want to do on that particular day (live or from their 1000's of recorded classes). The interface on how you can chose your classes and overall polish give a much better experience than the competing companies out there. The total package combine to really motivate you to want to work out, I have had it for over a year and I still cant wait to jump on and do a ride or run.

As far as total body workout I'd much rather do specific resistant strength training for the rest of my body (weights/cable etc.). For this I would think a rower would have an advantage, but I have never looked at a rower alone to cover all workout needs.

Just my 2 cents.
Thank you! My 2 boy and their wives say the same thing.

The markup on these bikes is crazy. If they were to sell them at $500, they'd still make a profit. $2,000+ is a good chunk of change...

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
It is a lot, may sound cliché but can you put a price on your health? Everyone is at different places with their health/fitness levels, disposable income etc. There could be someone on here that pays a personal trainer to come to their home daily and motivate them to work out and that's what works for them and what they are willing to pay. For me this works, is within what I am willing to pay to maintain/increase my fitness. I enjoy it when I do work out and always look forward to doing it. I have their app on my phone so even when traveling I still have access to it all. But this is only 1/2 of what I do in the week (3 days on average), I also have a nicely equipped gym at my house (smith machine, cables, free weights etc) that I do the other 3 days. So that's probably another reason I personally would not look into a rowing machine.

No matter what you choose I would rate consistency as one of if not the most important aspect of any workout. Pick something that keeps that motivation going to work out daily.

OCMD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Peloton is WAY overpriced, but you are paying for the gimmicky TV screens, classes and advertising none of which I need. I don't need to watch a tv screen when I work out. I shopped for months for a rower. Kept coming back to the Peloton based on their insane seductive advertising, I was almost sucked in. Then, after deciding the Peloton was what I Wanted, I went to the expert. My daughter is one of those psychotic trainers that trains for and competes in crazy events called dekastrong, throwing weights over your head, pushing sleds, crazy stuff. I said what rower do they use at your psycho gym? The Concept2, which did come up in my searches. I said it was half the price of the "slick" models so it can't be a good one. She said it was the best made one out there, that the true psychos use. I had to get on a wait list in October, and it showed up 11 pm xmas eve. It is superb is all I can say, and half the price of the gimmicky ones. I can't believe I almost got sucked into the TV screen BS and slick advertising of the overpriced ones. If you want a rower, get the best made one out there with no gimmicks on it, for half the price at $900. If you end up paying for something to hang your clothes on, you will be pissed you paid twice the price for a fancy gimmicky one. There is a reason there is a waiting list for this rower. It is hands down not only the best one made which will last (look in a gym - my gym re-opened yesterday under severe restrictions after being closed for 6 months) and guess which rowers they have? Older model concept2s.

Last edited:

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
Thanks for commenting.

Interesting...What features are you referring too (compared to the peloton)? Do you subscribe to the classes? Is the price $39/mo? Is there anything you don't like or wish you had compared to the Peloton?
The first year is included, not sure of cost after, I think close to same.

I think the biggest differences is Digital Incline/Decline. This allows either trainers in class or outdoor rides to automatically change the incline on your behalf. As far as the outdoor rides, I do not believe Peloton offers this at all. There are tons of courses following Olympic Cyclists on outdoor paths. Whether it is a mountain trail or a city ride, you follow them on the path, it is really cool and gives a look into other parts of the world. Adding to this, you can use google maps to create your own routes across the world. I don't think the Peloton has a fan or a pivoting screen. The fan is obvious why its nice, but the screen is really nice. Some of the classes you take are full body and off the bike, for these you can rotate the screen towards your mat, or whatever it may be. iFit also offers classes outside of just cycling, so you can do Yoga, Stretching, Plyo, etc. classes using the screen.

The classes are not bad but I do not think they are the same energy level as Pelotons, which seem to be more like a real cycle class. It runs on Android, which I hate, and it can be weird from time to time. Luckily a quick reboot has always fixed bugs for me. However the S22i seems to keep adding features, with software updates, which is nice. I have read people can get into the developer mod and make more changes to their liking, but I don't care to dig that far.

This is all based on my research as of last spring, some things might have changed.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think the biggest differences is Digital Incline/Decline. This allows either trainers in class or outdoor rides to automatically change the incline on your behalf.
I get the point of incline/decline on a treadmill, but aside from the psychological effects, and possibly moving the action in your joints a tiny amount, incline/decline on a trainer seems a bit gimicky. Power output won't change on a trainer based on a few degrees of incline. You aren't moving your body mass up/down at all, especially when seated. I'm sure they adjust the tension/resistance as the incline/decline activates to simulate well, but the actual movement doesn't compute for me.

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
I get the point of incline/decline on a treadmill, but aside from the psychological effects, and possibly moving the action in your joints a tiny amount, incline/decline on a trainer seems a bit gimicky. Power output won't change on a trainer based on a few degrees of incline. You aren't moving your body mass up/down at all, especially when seated. I'm sure they adjust the tension/resistance as the incline/decline activates to simulate well, but the actual movement doesn't compute for me.
I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue otherwise. I just know my experience. The front of the bike moves up quite a bit. At full incline you can hardly pedal.... so it simulates extremely well.

rpm242LS

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I'm not knowledgeable enough to argue otherwise. I just know my experience. The front of the bike moves up quite a bit. At full incline you can hardly pedal.... so it simulates extremely well.
If I recall correctly on that bike when it inclines it also adjust the tension somewhat to aid in the feeling of going up a hill. It is pretty effective with the feeling it gives of actually going up a hill.

mike220022

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The first year is included, not sure of cost after, I think close to same.
I wish I would have gotten a year of free classes when I bought my bike...My $39/mo class cost started on month 1

thefortunes

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
You using a static trainer or rollers?

I really don't want to give up my rollers (or splurge on a power meter), but like the idea of getting some interaction from the relative safety of my basement this winter.
I currently use a wheel on smart trainer. Will be upgrading to a direct drive, but probably not until next year.

The idea of a smart trainer isn't to adjust incline (although there are some that do that), but to adjust resistance automatically based on terrain. I can tell you from experience that riding a 14% climb on a trainer sucks (and that a -10% descent is FAST).

You don't need a smart trainer to compete (or just ride) with others on Zwift. A dumb trainer and speed/cadence meters work also, but you don't get the full experience.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Just received an email 3 days before my scheduled delivery that my new delivery date is now Feb. 21. Are you freakin kidding me!!!!! So far the ordering and delivery of this thing has been a joke.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Opened a chat with Peloton to voice my displeasure this morning. They pretty much are saying tough shit and it is what it is. I told the guy I was able to build, and order a Volvo XC 90 and it is shipping from Sweden and will only take a month or 2 longer than this fancy bicycle. I know he doesn't give a shit....but it made me feel better. Disappointed

jamesk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Peloton has a 30 day trial, you don't like it and they pick it up after 30 days and 100% refund included the classes and gently used accessories.
So they say....
We have one being delivered early February.
$2000 and $50 a month....it's one of those things that if you use it you can justify the cost.
You can resell them for $1700-$1900 so I just look at the cost of the classes as the "cost" in my mind.
My wife and I have done 150-200 spin classes in the last 10 years, even before Covid I got tired of driving to the gym.
Will see how it goes.
Really, the best workout equipment is whatever gets you to do it.

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
My wife bought a Peloton bike last January before the end of the world came. So we got it, but there was no in-home delivery, setup, or training. She loves it and uses it all the time, so that makes it worth the price. I’ve tried it, and it’s okay, but I just don’t like “exercise machines”. I’d rather go for a walk outside or ride a my real bike. It will help me for the two or three months that the weather doesn’t cooperate with that. But I’ll never become a regular user.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
SO......Wife mentioned to me last night (outside of knowing about this thread) that Peleton is offering 2 months free trial on their streaming service. This is just access to the workout content as best I can tell, although I haven't investigated completely at this point.

I signed up this morning and did a 30 min spin "class" with Peleton. It was interesting. I don't have a Peleton bike. I have a decade old Cannondale sitting on a set of rollers in the basement. I have a cheap Walgreens fan pointed at me, and a crappy old DVD shelf sitting in front of the bike to hold the phone. I do have a nice new set of ear buds that made the sound nice (although I did select an "electronic" soundtrack in the filters and got a "Classic Rock" workout, more on that in a minute). I don't have any method to add resistance other than moving up/down the rear cassette, and the whole setup is kind of loud (although the wife swears she can't hear me in the morning, I think she's lying to me to keep me from getting an excuse to not ride). I still climbed off the setup this morning with a drenched shirt, sore legs, and another 30min of intense cardio completed.

The trainer in my first video was a pleasant and very motivating guy with a thick British (maybe Australian?) accent. I had my phone sitting on a little stand off to the side of the bike, and only looked at it a few times. Mostly just using the verbal ques on what to do. He was easy to understand, spoke well, and was generally pleasant to listen to. My only complaint there was he kept saying things like "Annnnnd this section is done.....IN 3--2--1". So there were several times where I dropped my efforts a few seconds early. I quickly caught on and waited for his countdown to reduce effort, just a little nit-pick really. If it was an in person class, I would still go to another one of his classes.

It's wasn't all great though. The trainer kept referencing the resistance numbers. He ranged from 30 to 60. I'm certain these are Peleton specific numbers, and most likely adjustable on the screen at some level, or with a knob or something. Obviously I don't have them, so I worked with these as a percentage of available resistance, and did the workout from that perspective, doing some mental math to match the percentage with the gear I was in. I have a 10 speed rear cassette and used each cog as 10%. It makes complete sense if I was on a Peleton bike, but being on a regular bike it was a little wonky. He also referenced cadence (although he called it speed) quite often. I have a cadence meter on my bike, so that was no issue at all. Just follow along with the instructions. He kept talking about power levels, and that sort of thing as well. I assume the Peleton has a power meter built into, and I don't have access to that data on my setup (although I am considering a power meter for other reasons). He never made comment on what your power level should be, but did mention it several times in a general sense of "Make note where you are now, and you want to be about double that later", and things of that nature. Again, it's no big deal, but something I noticed.

This particular class had a lot of standing climbs. I'm not NEARLY coordinated to do that on the rollers at this point. I can drink water, adjust my shirt, skip tracks on the phone, but I can NOT stand up. That made for me doing some adaptations on the bike to simulate a seated climb. Fortunately I have enough outdoor riding experience to know what a climb looks/feels like from the saddle, so it was an easy conversion in my case. I can see "newbies" having some issues with that. I know I had problems adding enough resistance in gym based spin classes, on spin bikes, to really simulate a high intensity out of the saddle climb, and would often do seated climbs for this reason. At 6'2" tall and 200+ lbs the spin bikes often don't have enough resistance to really simulate that for me.......Anywho, it wasn't a big issue, but I do wish I knew if there were climbs or standing sections in the class before I begin them. I would avoid them somewhat if I knew they were there.

Overall I think using the app, and streaming the "class" helped my workout/training. It was nice to have the structure of a class. Someone else choosing the pace, the intervals, and how the workout was "built". I will say that the 30 min just "whizzed" by, and it was much easier to complete my time in the saddle. When I ride with just music, and my own intervals I often find the time dragging by and it becomes a challenge to stay on the bike. This time I was engaged, and even somewhat enthusiastic to continue as the class came to an end. I could've gone 45 min worth of time with the engagement (my fitness and current poor bike fit won't let me go much more than 30min) that the class provided.

I'll say they have a TON of workouts to wade through as well. I think there were something like 2,875 different spin classes available. That's just a GIANT library and it would take a LONG time to tire of the variety there. The app will let you filter and select classes by a number of different options, and even with EVERY SINGLE filter activated there were still like 185 workouts to choose from that fit my criteria. I think I'm going to keep working through different workouts on the app for the foreseeable future. We'll see where I land in a month or so and reevaluate.

Supposedly you can cancel at any time (for me before March 13th), they are supposed to email me 7 days before it runs out, and if I like it. It's $12.99/mo to continue. We'll see how it goes, March is right about the time it warms up around here, so if I've stuck with riding that long (I have a history of falling off the wagon), then I might just move outdoors with my cold weather gear.

Hopefully this helps some of you guys waiting on your fancy new trainers to arrive. I'll post a follow up after some more usage. Clearly a single 30min stream does not tell the whole story of the platform

Here's the bike (backwards) and the rollers for those interested. I'll take a better picture tonight of the setup with the bike on the rollers and the fan and all the other junk in the basement.
20170222_070854.jpg

Mike-on-Rollers.jpg <--Me learning to ride rollers in our condo (Pic taken Jan 3rd 2011)

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Better holistic view of my terrible space.

Did another ride this morning. Same instructor. Good ride. Definitely helps the time pass.

PXL_20210113_104805975.jpg

tabbibus

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
late to the party here. I've had peloton for 3 years now. Love that thing. I'm an avid mountain biker and it has helped me increase my FTP. Great for wet days when the trails are closed. I've also done some yoga clases and they are good.

Recently they put out a peloton class with some songs from the Hamilton musical. I loved it! Never had I worked so hard during a session.