• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Need help on price/pros/cons for 2021 Scarab 285 - SoCal

TheRaptor76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Hey all - looking for advice on a few things. 1) Should i purchase this used boat? 2) What price should I start at? 3) Do the pros I list below outweigh the cons?

1) 2021 285 ID Wake Edition - has literally everything except for the marine mat and RGB lighting, 44 hours on each engine. Original owner sold it to buy a dedicated surf boat (Centurion) so its at the dealer in San Diego, CA. It has never been in the ocean and it will never go in the ocean.

2) Dealer has a price tag of $132,536 before tax. Looking at blue book and others that are for sale, that seems really high to me (Blue book was $111k for suggested retail). I am thinking at starting at $105,000 before tax because I am seeing 2021 255's that are in the 90's and 2023's with steep dealer discounts. Also, this is California, so the engines are not supercharged as they are not allowed to be due to emissions. My max would likely be $115k before tax.

3) Pros: Yacht certified so can fit a lot of people, boat is in pretty great shape, will do all the watersports we need including surf (I have 3 little girls who want to try surfing), Scarab is a great brand IMO, jet boat cause river water where we are is mostly pretty shallow
Cons: I am in Orange County but go to the river mostly in Blythe, Parker, Havasu, Needles so finding a certified Scarab dealer would be difficult. Can I use a Rotax certified mechanic instead? No clean out port but sounds like that usually isnt that big of an issue.

I think that's it. I am ready to make an offer but wanted to ask the pros here any opinions you may have before I do so! Been a river rat for 30 years but never owned my own boat and its time to do so!

TheRaptor76

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 ID
Boat Length
Well interesting that I just found a screenshot of the Starting price and MSRP of a 285 ID from the Scarab website that someone posted. Should I use that to go off of? I mean, I know the prices of everything have gone up but that doesn't mean the value of a boat has gone up?

(In 2021) MSRP: $113,067
(In 2021) Starting Price: $103,415

I know the wake edition and all the options would increase the price.

Attachments

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Beautiful boat. Can’t help you with your questions, but there is also a large Scarab FB page at Scarab Jet boats | Facebook.

Jim

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I looked at that boat but couldn’t agree on a deal. Did you buy it ?
The boat must have sold as it’s not longer available according to the link provided by the OP.

510Scarab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I believe that’s the boat that TheRaptor76 purchased. It was at the H2O dealership in San Diego.

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Brand new 23 285 on boattrader, dropped from 180 to 120k! Crazy deal.
Prices are falling for sure.
Byers market coming back.

510Scarab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
With high interest rates it was difficult for boat shoppers to over pay. The pandemic pricing didn’t last as long as the dealers wanted. Like water the market will find its level. I believe there are 2 285 Scarabs under $125k & a few 255’s under $100k.

Evo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I purchased one of those 285(s), the black and red one at $120k. Well worth the $5k to transport it from Ca to Fl.!

510Scarab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
I purchased one of those 285(s), the black and red one at $120k. Well worth the $5k to transport it from Ca to Fl.!
You purchased the boat I was going to buy. I had a appointment to demo and sign paperwork. Congratulations. It’s a beauty.

Evo3

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
You purchased the boat I was going to buy. I had a appointment to demo and sign paperwork. Congratulations. It’s a beauty.
Oh wow, did you end up buying the blue one? I’ve had it for a few weeks now and overall it’s a pretty amazing boat. Like you said, for the price it’s 100% worth it!

510Scarab

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
195 ID
Boat Length
No, I wasn’t happy with the owner and how he handled our agreement with the Red 285. He never really attempted to sale the Blue one to me even though it was still available. I know when a person wants to do business and when they don’t. They are the only dealership in the area so I didn’t want to start the relationship in that way because I would have to return for service. I’m considering other brands and boat dealers with better customer service.