• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Picking up new '23 Scarab 165 ID this weekend, minimum accessories req. help

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
First time boat owner picking up a new '23 Scarab 165 ID this Saturday.

Other than having to register the boat and trailer down here in Florida and insure it, what are the bare minimum accessories that I'll need before I put the boat in the water for the first time?

Thinking life preservers, throw out preserver required, an anchor, fenders or bumpers, tie-off lines for starters?

Thanks in advance for the advice/suggestions..

Scott Brown

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
255 Open ID
Boat Length
Congrats!!!
Yes to all- “Thinking life preservers, throw out preserver required, an anchor, fenders or bumpers, tie-off lines for starters?”

Connector hose(s) for clean out, salt-away or equivalent if you are in brackish or greater, fire extinguisher if not included. Battery charger, trailer connector. Boat cover if needed.

Where in Florida? I’m in St. Aug.

Repost:

Go to the faq and look for the check list of picking up a new boat.

And this one is important as well. https://jetboaters.net/threads/⛵⚓⛴✔-new-boat-owner-read-this-before-you-go-out-⛵⚓⛴✔.35280/

Where in Florida? I’m in St. Aug.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
South End of Tampa Bay, Ellenton

SwissDoo

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Take your time to inspect the boat, just took delivery of my brand new 285 I paid 200k cash for, it looks terrible and has more damage then my 10 year old challenger 230.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Take your time to inspect the boat, just took delivery of my brand new 285 I paid 200k cash for, it looks terrible and has more damage then my 10 year old challenger 230.
Oh wow so sorry to hear that. I'd definitely be PISSED especially spending that kind of coin!!!

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Well I made the 2 hour trip to pick up my first boat this Saturday. First look boat was filthy (dried dirt on the entire bottom of boat including trailer), scratches all over the top rails and around the rim of the boat. The insides of the handles were rough (was told that Scarab polishes the boat prior to transporting and the person doing that probably had an off day!). I was ready to walk and only bought the boat because they took some additional $$ off our agreed price.

Now I'm wondering if I made the right decision to purchase. On way home the engine bay door opened completely while doing 70 on the highway, YIKES!!! had to pull off road slammed shut and pulled back on highway. Engine bay door continued to open on smooth road all the way home; at least 11 times that I counted. I was so pissed and very dangerous pulling on shoulder with vehicles blowing by doing up to 90MPG. It looks like the bolt/striker that mates to the top clip is bent backwards a little which might have made the clip on the top portion barely hanging on, hence first bump or wind gust caused it to open but I'm not positive and didn't have any sockets with me at the time to try and adjust the striker.

Because of all the cosmetic issues at the dealer, the Scarab SME left early before we had an agreed sale and were told he's the only one in the dealership that knows the Scarab boats operation and mechanics etc, so we received no overview or operation or delivery checklist regarding the operation of the boat (I am first time boat owner and know nothing about boating or the Scarab 165). I signed all the paperwork and saw all the checkmarks for operations etc. but we received NONE and the salesperson and manager didn't know squat about the boat. The store manager had my son disassembling the Bimini top on the wakeboard tower (taking metal rods and supports off) when I caught him and advised him that the assembly simply folds down! :O

I pointed out the tires looked flat and he responded that the tire pressure was to spec without even checking them. Tires say 50 psi max and they ready 32psi when I got home!! Everything I read says to inflate to max pressure for trailering.

Now I'm wondering if they couldn't even properly air the tires up, how the heck could they have done everything that is required to properly "prep" the boat for operation? There were only 2 boats there and I believe they are mainly a "bike" dealer which explains why they didn't know squat about the boat!

I also noticed that the Scarab letters on the side of the trailer are coming off (back adhesive not even sticky anymore and hanging) and the Atomic Decals on the side of the boat are starting to peel off at the leading edges (front of boat)! Wondering if they used a high pressure hose to wash the boat which is voids the warranty on the marine mat per the brochure?

I have no faith in the dealership at this point to properly fix the hatch and verify the "prep" work was properly done and I'm not making a 4 hour roundtrip back up there with a failing engine hatch but what is my recourse? I already wrote the entire check for payment. Should I reach out to Scarab Corporate for assistance? Advice and suggestions on what to do at this point greatly appreciated...

Attachments

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Yikes, I would return that promptly to the dealer and demand your money back. Sounds like a lemon from the word go. Do you know your state's legal return window?

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Yikes, I would return that promptly to the dealer and demand your money back. Sounds like a lemon from the word go. Do you know your state's legal return window?
I searched and google showed that boats don't qualify under FL lemon law. I did get a pretty good deal and It does come with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, so wondering what the best course is to address the issues?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I searched and google showed that boats don't qualify under FL lemon law. I did get a pretty good deal and It does come with a 3 year bumper to bumper warranty, so wondering what the best course is to address the issues?
Here's what I meant - just take it back and get your money back. You have seven days from the day of purchase.

501.142 Retail sales establishments; preemption; notice of refund policy; exceptions; penalty.—
(1) The regulation of refunds is preempted to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services notwithstanding any other law or local ordinance to the contrary. Every retail sales establishment offering goods for sale to the general public that offers no cash refund, credit refund, or exchange of merchandise must post a sign so stating at the point of sale. Failure of a retail sales establishment to exhibit a “no refund” sign under such circumstances at the point of sale shall mean that a refund or exchange policy exists, and the policy shall be presented in writing to the consumer upon request. Any retail establishment failing to comply with the provisions of this section shall grant to the consumer, upon request and proof of purchase, a refund on the merchandise, within 7 days of the date of purchase, provided the merchandise is unused and in the original carton, if one was furnished. Nothing herein shall prohibit a retail sales establishment from having a refund policy which exceeds the number of days specified herein. However, this subsection does not prohibit a local government from enforcing the provisions established by this section.
(2) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the sale of food, perishable goods, goods which are custom made, goods which are custom altered at the request of the customer, or goods which cannot be resold by the merchant because of any law, rule, or regulation adopted by a governmental body.
(3) The department may enter an order doing one or more of the following if the department finds that a person has violated or is operating in violation of any of the provisions of this section or the orders issued under this section:
(a) Impose an administrative fine not to exceed $100 for each violation.
(b) Direct the person to cease and desist specified activities.
(4) The administrative proceedings that could result in the entry of an order imposing any of the penalties specified in subsection (3) are governed by chapter 120.
(5) Any moneys recovered by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services as a penalty under this section shall be deposited in the General Inspection Trust Fund.
(6) Upon the first violation of this section, a local government may issue a written warning. Upon a second and any subsequent violation, a local government may impose a fine of up to $50 per violation. Any moneys recovered by the local government as a penalty under this section shall be deposited in the appropriate local account.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Here's what I meant - just take it back and get your money back. You have seven days from the day of purchase.

501.142 Retail sales establishments; preemption; notice of refund policy; exceptions; penalty.—
(1) The regulation of refunds is preempted to the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services notwithstanding any other law or local ordinance to the contrary. Every retail sales establishment offering goods for sale to the general public that offers no cash refund, credit refund, or exchange of merchandise must post a sign so stating at the point of sale. Failure of a retail sales establishment to exhibit a “no refund” sign under such circumstances at the point of sale shall mean that a refund or exchange policy exists, and the policy shall be presented in writing to the consumer upon request. Any retail establishment failing to comply with the provisions of this section shall grant to the consumer, upon request and proof of purchase, a refund on the merchandise, within 7 days of the date of purchase, provided the merchandise is unused and in the original carton, if one was furnished. Nothing herein shall prohibit a retail sales establishment from having a refund policy which exceeds the number of days specified herein. However, this subsection does not prohibit a local government from enforcing the provisions established by this section.
(2) The provisions of this section shall not apply to the sale of food, perishable goods, goods which are custom made, goods which are custom altered at the request of the customer, or goods which cannot be resold by the merchant because of any law, rule, or regulation adopted by a governmental body.
(3) The department may enter an order doing one or more of the following if the department finds that a person has violated or is operating in violation of any of the provisions of this section or the orders issued under this section:
(a) Impose an administrative fine not to exceed $100 for each violation.
(b) Direct the person to cease and desist specified activities.
(4) The administrative proceedings that could result in the entry of an order imposing any of the penalties specified in subsection (3) are governed by chapter 120.
(5) Any moneys recovered by the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services as a penalty under this section shall be deposited in the General Inspection Trust Fund.
(6) Upon the first violation of this section, a local government may issue a written warning. Upon a second and any subsequent violation, a local government may impose a fine of up to $50 per violation. Any moneys recovered by the local government as a penalty under this section shall be deposited in the appropriate local account.
I'm not sure there isn't a sign at the dealership or on one of the documents I signed ( Failure of a retail sales establishment to exhibit a “no refund” sign )?

do the things I mentioned so far warrant returning?

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
I'm not sure there isn't a sign at the dealership or on one of the documents I signed ( Failure of a retail sales establishment to exhibit a “no refund” sign )?

do the things I mentioned so far warrant returning?
I'm just saying, if it were me, I'd drive that puppy back tomorrow and get there right when they opened. Read them the statute, be polite, and just say "yeah I'd like to return this boat." You may get some immediate attention to the issues. They may say OK and just take the boat back.

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
I mean, are those critical problems in my opinion? No. Are they all fixable? Yes. Some you obviously know what needs to be done to fix them. The hatch problem is a well known issue that IS solvable via various options I can give you.

The better question I think is even if all of this is addressed, are you going to be happy? Because it sounds like the price did reflect the boat's condition? But the dealer/client relationship isn't great.

If you aren't going to be happy working with the dealer, then you can try to return it, sell it as is to someone else or attempt to fix the problems yourself and keep it.

If you choose the latter option, many here are willing to help including myself. But there is no miracle solution here. Whatever you choose here, make sure you're going to accept that outcome.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Thanks Luc. I think I'm just going to try and fix the issues myself.

I checked the bolt on the hatch and it was not tight at all. I used 19mm wrench and socket and loosened bolt. The bolt moves around in the hole so it seems like it has some adjustability. I tried to center it best I could and tightened the opt and bottom bolts (in the engine compartment) and the hatch closed very securely now. I think it's fixed but won't know until I get it on the trailer most likely when I put it in the water for the first time next week.

What do you suggest for trying to clean up the dull, foggy and rough areas under the stainless rails for holding on the boat interior? I don't want to use car products like Meguires rubbing compound etc if they will damage the finish but per the dealer he thinks they just did a crappy job polishing for final shipment.

As for the small scratches throughout I'm just going to try and live with it and will be thorough washing and then waxing when I return from the first outing on the bay near me (saltwater beaches near St Petersburg).

Any products you can recommend to get the hull back in shape and protected would be greatly appreciated.

One last question: Looked all over manual about rec. tire pressure when trailering and all it states is to consult tire sidewall. All the tire says is max psi which is 50. What should I inflate to?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
So for the latch, obviously what you did is important :) But here's some more useful info: https://jetboaters.net/threads/engine-compartment-keeps-opening.15981/post-387358

Further to that, some people can't seem to get that latch to stay latched. Probably due to variabilities in the boat builds, latch install, etc. Two other things to consider if it keeps happening. One, replace the two springs with weaker ones. The ratings are on there with stickers, just buy the same ones but with less power and figure out what makes the hatch "neutral". Mine is like this now and I just have to apply a small amount of upward pressure to make it go up.

Another option is to get rubber latches like they have on coolers. But that may not be as nice looking.

If you're talking about the gel coat roughness, gel coat can definitely be polished like a car. In fact, it's way tougher than a car. Compounds like you're used to for cars will work just fine on the fiberglass gel coat. You can even wet sand it if needed. So just like any other rough surface, start with a coarser grit and work your way up to a fine grit. You can polish it to a mirror shine. By hand works, but obviously requires elbow grease.

Scratches can often be buffed out fairly well with a buffer and compound again. Just be careful... it's WAY less likely to burn it like a car paint, but it still CAN burn if you stay on there too long or apply too much pressure. If you go slowly though, you can definitely polish out scratches. Again, sanding works too if needed. I had a fairly big one on the port gunwale, sanded and polished it out completely. But it took some work.

50 psi is correct. Your trailer should have a sticker on the tongue area with these details. Look there. But 50 psi is correct for your trailer.

If you have any other questions, ping me. I can't promise I know all the things, but I am quite familiar with your boat. :)

Before you make one of these common newbie mistakes, here are a few things:

1. NEVER try to remove the grate under the boat. It is NOT designed to be removed even if it has bolt heads there. If you try, you will break the sealant under the engine on the other end of those bolts to prevent water from leaking in. Scarab really should make these different somehow to avoid this. If you need access to the pump, access from the rear is simple and easy to do. Takes about 15 min with simple tools once you know how to do it. I can help if that ever happens.

2. Your carbon seal prevents water from getting into your hull. It is located around your drive shaft where it exits the hull. It is ONLY cooled when the boat is actually sitting in water. No other procedure cools it unless you do specific things like spray constant water at it from under the boat. So, you should never run the boat out of water for more than 2 min (official number), but almost all of us never run it for more than 60 seconds (better). Even for doing oil changes, etc.

3. When running the engine out of water for say more than 15 seconds, you should cool the exhaust system. To do so, you need to use that flushing port. The procedure order is IMPORTANT. Engine on, water on, water off, engine off. In that order. In essence, never water pressure unless your engine is running. Otherwise, water can work its way up the exhaust system into your engine. Don't be my uncle that did that recently on his Sea-Doo. lol

4. Read the manuals. Both of them. The more important one IMO is the BRP Operator's Manual: https://www.operatorsguides.brp.com/ Select Rotax>JPS>two letter code representing year starting at AA=2014>Engine HP. The other is the Scarab manual: Scarab Jet Boats | Owners

5. Don't forget to enjoy the boat! lol

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Luc, Thank You so much for the advice and guidance. There was a ton of manuals/literature that came with the boat but slowly going through the BRP Rotax manual and then the larger black Scarab book/manual.

I took the boat cover and stands/ties out of the ski locker and put in storage since boat will be staying in my garage. Headig to Walmart later to get the required safety equipment: Flares, whistle, throwable type IV, air horn. Still trying to figure out what to do for the anchor and mooring lines etc. /

So another qq: there is a long navigation light that is currently in the ski locker. Also came with a small one for the bow. The long one barely fits in the locker and will probably bounce around and scratch the inside of the locker. Where did you put your NAV lights or do you leave them out of the boat unless taking a night trip?

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Mine came with rubber holders like this to hold the long pole in the ski locker. But it is fairly long. Mine are mounted fairly high up the starboard (right) wall of the locker. This way it's out of any water and doesn't get crushed by objects in there.

1687270392232.png

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Mine came with rubber holders like this to hold the long pole in the ski locker. But it is fairly long. Mine are mounted fairly high up the starboard (right) wall of the locker. This way it's out of any water and doesn't get crushed by objects in there.

View attachment 202461
So sorry. I just checked in the locker and sure enough have those holders for both the short and long navigation light poles. Thanks!

Boat shows 0 hours on it but is there any way to check if it has been in the water and is for example at like 40 minutes (less than 1 hour)?

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
Good to hear! lol

Hmmm.. I haven't been around 40 min in a long, long time. But I doubt it. If there was such data, you probably need the software BUDS or Candoo Pro to see it. Any particular reason? Even if it had some water time, in theory, that would mean the dealer tested it which is usually a good thing.

PRO710HD

Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 ID
Boat Length
Few more ?s Luc. Trying to get boat ready for first time out next Tue or Wed

1) I bought a 5BC kidde extinguisher at Walmart. No mounting hardware. Do you think just putting a velcro strip running top to bottom on curved part of extinguisher will be enough to hold like yours?

2) Where do you keep your other required safety equipment at and how do you protect from damage to storage/boat?: air horn, flares, floatable etc.

3) I need an easy solution for an anchor and not sure what other lines I need to attach it? Do I just tie to a forward cleat when anchoring? Also how do I prevent damage to the front storage bin from the anchor?

Last edited:

Luc Lafreniere

Jetboaters Captain
Staff member
Scarab Forum Lead
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
165 G
Boat Length
1. Velcro is impressively strong if it's wrapped around right and in good shape. So yes, I do think it will hold. The top velcro on mine is holding very strong after years in the bow as well where it hits the hardest.

2. I keep many spares in the engine compartment. Some I slot in between the battery area so to keep the other side free for stuff I regulary use instead. Some other stuff like spare parts are kept in a dry bag that I keep in front of the driver seat in that big compartment. That's the stuff I rarely use. Spark plugs, spare impeller boot, random clamps/zip ties, etc.

3. I purchased a vinyl coated anchor. This way the boat is pretty well protected. The vinyl will eventually wear though. But I don't use my anchor a lot. You can also place a rubber mat in the bottom of the anchor lower to prevent banging. I did that for the ski locker too. Home Depot usually sells some sort of flexible rubber matt for garage floors. I cut it to size and placed it in there. I also really like using something like the Anchor Buddy bungee or AirHead's version of it. It is really awesome to absorb waves, shocks, etc. It's also great to maintain your boat away from shore when at a beach/shoreline. You can place the anchor our in front (in the water). Back up away from it towards shore and stretch out the bungee. Then tie a sand anchor of some sort in the ground/beach with a normal rope. That maintains the boat away from shore to prevent banging. When you're ready to leave, you pull the shoreline anchor out and the bungee auto pulls you out away from the beach. If you are in rough conditions, you should attach the anchor the bow cleat (or stern ones). They are harder to access though. If it isn't rough, I just tie it to one of the side cleats personally. But nothing is as strong as the big bow eye.