• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Please help to diagnose the engine problems with LS2000

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Also, if it shakes bad, pull the pump and shaft out and run it again. If it eliminated the shakes, then it is a pump problem.

I had a heck of a time aligning the pump up perfectly when i put it all back together again. It just wouldn't go in perfect. The old pumps have shims and a top bracket that the newer style doesn't have. That caused and eliminated some shakes once it was dialed in.

Yamatuf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
A downed cylinder or misfire will also cause severe shaking

Dardania

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I asked this but im going to ask again.... 3500 max rpm new plugs new fuel filters co pression 120 all around. Engine cooling system free of devris nice and clean the ls2000 runs and pulls tybe everyweekend it doesnt stal it idles as long as i let it no problem starting i just cant get rpms going and wont go pas 42 mph..... it sucks i cand find no mechanic around here that knows these boats so anyone i tell them what it is they say i dont work on those engines.... i got a vide
o up on youtube search for yamaha ls2000 rpm reving problem .

Last edited:

Dardania

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Where can i order them from. And i wonder how both engines go exact the same..

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this your video?

Did she ever rev above 3,500?

My guess is that those are aftermarket tachs and they are set to the wrong multiplier so 3,500 shown is actually 7,000. There is no way that the boat would go 42 at 3,500 RPM.

Dardania

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
Yes thats mine. They both are farihas one is brand new which i didnt have it o on the video but now its on and both are identical 3500. My friend has a seadoo challenger i always pass hiw but still revs at 3500.

Dardania

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I dont know if she ever did i got it 3 weeks ago and it has been the same.

Ronald Dillow

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length
http://www.jetskisolutions.com/p154_yamaha_xlt_1200_a__ignition_coil__plug_wire_rebuild_service.html

Spark plug wires.
When they go bad, they go bad. I bet yours are original which makes them 18 years old. Read my post on how to replace. Also you can put an ohm meter on them to test them, but you have to remove them, and if you do that much work, then you might as well replace. I also do have a spare electric box, with wires, (not new, that I might be willing to sell. You could send the wires in, and have a lot of extra electronic parts. :)

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes thats mine. They both are farihas one is brand new which i didnt have it o on the video but now its on and both are identical 3500. My friend has a seadoo challenger i always pass hiw but still revs at 3500.
The tachs have a switch on the back. I believe I remember it being rotary. Set it to the 6 cylinder setting and they should read 7K when the engines max out.

If you post the tachometer part number I may be able to give you more details.

Your boat should run closer to 52. I suggest using a GPS to check the actual speed then deciding if you want to work on the jet pumps to gain speed.

Dardania

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
http://www.jetskisolutions.com/p154_yamaha_xlt_1200_a__ignition_coil__plug_wire_rebuild_service.html

Spark plug wires.
When they go bad, they go bad. I bet yours are original which makes them 18 years old. Read my post on how to replace. Also you can put an ohm meter on them to test them, but you have to remove them, and if you do that much work, then you might as well replace. I also do have a spare electric box, with wires, (not new, that I might be willing to sell. You could send the wires in, and have a lot of extra electronic parts. :)
I want to buy new ones o dont want to sent old ones away not now maybe in winter ill send carbs away for rebuild and anythingelse that needs it. Now i just want to ride it

Dardania

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
The tachs have a switch on the back. I believe I remember it being rotary. Set it to the 6 cylinder setting and they should read 7K when the engines max out.

If you post the tachometer part number I may be able to give you more details.

Your boat should run closer to 52. I suggest using a GPS to check the actual speed then deciding if you want to work on the jet pumps to gain speed.
they are set at 5 i just checked ill try switching to 6 and see

Last edited:

Dardania

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I did get the gps and just recived the cobra steering will install them tomorrow and go out try everything again.tomorrow is my last day at work have some 10 days off and id like to play around with it and see what can i screw up. Lol

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Is this your video?

Did she ever rev above 3,500?

My guess is that those are aftermarket tachs and they are set to the wrong multiplier so 3,500 shown is actually 7,000. There is no way that the boat would go 42 at 3,500 RPM.
Ha! I didn't even think of that but that's totally right I bet! I remember there being some discussion about that way back in the day! The original tachs are faria and some guys had them rebuilt and some guys would just get new. Either way, it's a 2 stroke with 3 cylinders each motor and it was something about that which made the multiplier different from a normal motor.

4x15mph

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Your not going 42mph with engines only Hitting 3500 rpm. Your tachs are wrong

Yamatuf

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I agree the boat won't go 42 mph at only 3500 rpm. it could be just the tach as mentioned.
Have you tried manually reving the motor from the carbs. Maybe a linkage came loose or needs adjustment.

If your prop or wear ring is worn you won't reach the 52 mph mark either. New wires will help dramatically.
Cal jetskisolutions.

Dardania

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I
Just checked them out they are set at number 5
I agree the boat won't go 42 mph at only 3500 rpm. it could be just the tach as mentioned.
Have you tried manually reving the motor from the carbs. Maybe a linkage came loose or needs adjustment.

If your prop or wear ring is worn you won't reach the 52 mph mark either. New wires will help dramatically.
Cal jetskisolutions.
I have done it many time she screams and everything moves smoothly cables and all links.im trying the taxhometer today moved it from 5 to 6 setting .right now im about to install the cobra steering.. thanks to Jeff.. ill let u guys know how it works later on.

kathleenw

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I bough a 1999 ls2000. The engines seem to start right up (with started fluid) and the first 2 times on water it worked great. got up to speed and throttles just fine. At the end of the second day right engine started to just shut off randomly but start right up again. this problem got worse very quickly and by the time i got to the dock i couldnt keep it running at all. Same thing is happening to the right engine right now, it starts and runs but then shuts off randomly and i have to baby throttle to get it above 3k RPMS. so back to the dead one, I got home and rebuild the carburetor. Installed the rebuilt carb and started in the driveway, no problems. It reved above 4k rpms for a few seconds and kept idle just perfect. I though everything was good so took it out to a lake again and same thing happened, the second it was in the water it would start just fine but would not rev up and would die at idle few minutes later. I took it out of the water and went to play with some other toys for 5+ hours. Then i attempted to start it while it was on the trailer and it would be same thing, real difficulty idling and would not rev. after a few seconds idle stabilized and it was reving again just fine on the trailer and i saw a fairly big puddle of water under that jet. So i'm sort of thinking it has trouble under load now but i dont even know where to start figuring out whats the cause. I am not a mechanic, i'm good with a wrench but i can not diagnose problems without google and there isnt many write ups for these boats so i am here hoping someone knows what it might be.

both shake pretty hard while idling, about equally hard but when reved they seem very smooth, almost no vibration so i think that might be normal.

When i was taking off the carb i made sure it had fresh oil out of the drip holes for the oil injection system, so i know that part works, i also made sure it was bled through and no clogged lines. I replaced fuel filters just cause its a cheap part and gave me a piece of mind and spark plugs since they had some unburned gas on them (which is what made me think it was the carb). i assume fuel pump is good since it will rev and well above 4k rpms out fo the water and very responsive to the throttle out of the water since the carb has been rebuild. BTW, i adjusted high speed and low speed settings on the carb by the owners manual specs.

I'm thinking to take it to a mechanic to have them diagnose it but i dont have that many near by and none i would trust here since closest lake is 4 hours away and they wont even be able to test the problem without going there.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Did you ever find the problem? Our boat has had similar problems and they just started yesterday. Our engine will turn on but the left jet stopped working and then within minutes the right one stopped working and we had to be pulled to our trailer... They were not coming back on..

Rudylgarcia

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
I have a 99 yamaha ls2000,I took it out Father's Day and it ran great for about 30 minutes when I came to the dock and dropped off two passenger's as I was heading back out I noticed that my right engine would only go up t0 3500 rpm's. The left engine runs fine,I swapped fuel lines bought new plugs but right engine still does the same.anyone has an idea what could be the issue.sorry for adding my problem but I'm new to this sight

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Rudylgarcia, have you compression tested the engines? Those two strokes need rebuilding every 400 hours or so. That rebuild likely is less expensive if you catch it early.