• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Plug Blew Out - about sank

Tacolpastor

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
First time out and last for the season. 2007 sx210. I just rebuilt the plugs as they were cemented into the boat when I bought it. Had a great day on the lake and headed back to the boat ramp. Came off throttles going 45, slowed down to a stop and noticed a loss of power. Didn't think about the plug. Wife opened a forward hatch to put some garbage away and noticed a few inches of water. I put on the bilge and water was streaming out. I opened the engine hatch and water was up to the oil pan. Quickly got to the ramp and loaded the boat up. Well a plug blew and lodged itself sideways in the tunnel and broke the tray. Which caused the jet to blow water directly into the bilge.

What would cause the plug to blow?? I checked them before we left and they were both latched and tight. Freshly rebuilt.

Attachments

• 20221015_170120.jpg
    20221015_170120.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20221015_170126.jpg
    20221015_170126.jpg
    263.1 KB · Views: 49
Did you have any type of lock? Sometimes thet just blow, the good thing about cobralicks is it can't lock unless installed correctly

Add EZ locks to those plugs
all plugs between 2000 year models up to 2016 models best insurance against a plug blow out you can have. Cobra EZ-Locks by the way that was the worst type of clean out plug failure as it did not blow open the hatch and shut down the engines so you keep running until you ingest water in the engines so be sure to inspect the oil for water and if you have any water you need to get it out ASAP

Thank you both for the suggestions. I did pull the dipstick and did not see any water or milky oil, so I don't think I ingested any water, but I'll winterize and change the oil. Will be buying these locks for sure and probably a new tray.

First time out and last for the season. 2007 sx210. I just rebuilt the plugs as they were cemented into the boat when I bought it. Had a great day on the lake and headed back to the boat ramp. Came off throttles going 45, slowed down to a stop and noticed a loss of power. Didn't think about the plug. Wife opened a forward hatch to put some garbage away and noticed a few inches of water. I put on the bilge and water was streaming out. I opened the engine hatch and water was up to the oil pan. Quickly got to the ramp and loaded the boat up. Well a plug blew and lodged itself sideways in the tunnel and broke the tray. Which caused the jet to blow water directly into the bilge.

What would cause the plug to blow?? I checked them before we left and they were both latched and tight. Freshly rebuilt.
Sorry for what happened but the one thing that you NEED to do is have your bilge pump on whenever the boat is in the water. There’s no reason for it not to be on. Hopefully you will notice water being pumped out and find the issue before it gets to the engines or worse yet, nearly sinks your boat.

My boat doesn't have auto bilge that know of. I have an on/off switch only. If I leave it on, wouldn't it burn out with no water going through it?

My boat doesn't have auto bilge that know of. I have an on/off switch only. If I leave it on, wouldn't it burn out with no water going through it?
You will have to test it but I would assume that on means it has power and will activate with an internal float switch.

Most of those bilge pumps did not have a float switch but one could be added , as for the EZ locks people have the misconception that replacing the bottom half of the plug is all they need to do but that is a very dangerous assumption , if you view that video you will see how the plug lock can fail and with the EZ locks it can not release even if it did fail. So you and others have proven that the bottom helps it go in and out easier but it can't prevent a blow out. The name rebuild kit is misleading as the kit does nothing for the inner locking mechanism and those parts are not even available. Also the hole under the clean out plug is large and goes straight to the bottom of the hull so the water is pushed through that hole with a lot of force, therefore even a bilge pump would only postpone the inevitable because it could not keep up with the water being pushed in through the clean out plug tube.

I use two pieces of 3"pvc pipe as spacers above the plugs cut about 1/4" below the when hatch closed. This prevents the plugs from gaininh any momentum if they happen to blow out or come loose. I also have the locks installed.
( I use to use a nerf football above the plugs)
.. .
Have not had any problems. Just an easy preventative to avoid problems.

I would think that by having the bilge on would only mean it would either activate when water is introduced or that it turns on intermittently. I wouldn’t think it would burn out. I have to have my switch on too and that’s how mine operates at least. Have had no issues. I agree with the others, you want that on all the time. If you’re not in the water, just turn your batteries off but leave the bilge switch on. I had the same thing happen to me as you experienced, so I installed and additional high water alarm and the EZLocks. Before I insert the locks each time now, I give the plugs three good tugs just to make sure they’re secure on their own first. Also, check the tube that the clean out plugs go into to make sure it is seated correctly at the top and bottom and the hose clamps are tight at the very top and bottom. When the plug gets lodged like that, it can manipulate the tube and open up some gaps for the water to go into the bilge and you would never know it.

Add a second bilge pump on a float switch.

Every time I see issues of water filling up the engine bay I post this simple solution to let you know whats going on before you have a major problem, Cheap easy to install and it should be a mandatory item in every manufactured in board boat.

Simple water alarm hang the sensor just above your bilge pump and zip tie the siren in the engine compartment you can hear it with the motors running. Any time your in your engine compartment wet your finger and test it. I'm still on the original battery from 4 years ago

I would think that by having the bilge on would only mean it would either activate when water is introduced or that it turns on intermittently. I wouldn’t think it would burn out. I have to have my switch on too and that’s how mine operates at least. Have had no issues. I agree with the others, you want that on all the time. If you’re not in the water, just turn your batteries off but leave the bilge switch on. I had the same thing happen to me as you experienced, so I installed and additional high water alarm and the EZLocks. Before I insert the locks each time now, I give the plugs three good tugs just to make sure they’re secure on their own first. Also, check the tube that the clean out plugs go into to make sure it is seated correctly at the top and bottom and the hose clamps are tight at the very top and bottom. When the plug gets lodged like that, it can manipulate the tube and open up some gaps for the water to go into the bilge and you would never know it.
F Y I the name EZ lock covers the installation, you place the lock on the plug in stage 1 with the T handle in the UP position BEFORE you install the plug in the hole . Once the clean out plug is in it's position down in the tube, you set the t handle and lock the plug dogs in position and look straight down and SEE visually that the lock is set in stage 2 so there is no installing them After the plug is in it's tube That is the nice thing about it placing them in the small holes down in the tube is a lot more difficult and avoided totally. Further if the plug tries to release or BLOW OUT the lock stops it and it tells you that the plug released during use and it prevented a blow out as it will refuse to release when you try to remove it. Then you must " RE- SET" the T handle to remove the pressure on the EZ lock ends in order to remove it. I designed these years ago after people from the Yamaha jetboaters .com site asked me to come up with an easy to use and reliable way to keep these plugs from blowing out during use.

F Y I the name EZ lock covers the installation, you place the lock on the plug in stage 1 with the T handle in the UP position BEFORE you install the plug in the hole . Once the clean out plug is in it's position down in the tube, you set the t handle and lock the plug dogs in position and look straight down and SEE visually that the lock is set in stage 2 so there is no installing them After the plug is in it's tube That is the nice thing about it placing them in the small holes down in the tube is a lot more difficult and avoided totally. Further if the plug tries to release or BLOW OUT the lock stops it and it tells you that the plug released during use and it prevented a blow out as it will refuse to release when you try to remove it. Then you must " RE- SET" the T handle to remove the pressure on the EZ lock ends in order to remove it. I designed these years ago after people from the Yamaha jetboaters .com site asked me to come up with an easy to use and reliable way to keep these plugs from blowing out during use.
Well damn! Been doing it wrong all these years. Ha! I’m a pro at inserting the wires by feel at this point. Thanks for clarifying!

1665928150775.jpeg the lock is in phase 1, T handle is UP lock ends are NOT visible in the center void , You can view this from above the clean out plug when it is in the tube
1665928722345.jpeg This picture shows the lock in phase 2 LOCKED POSITION , look in the void with the T handle down the EZ lock ends are visible as they closed and pinned the locking dogs in place.

View attachment 189797 the lock is in phase 1, T handle is UP lock ends are NOT visible in the center void , You can view this from above the clean out plug when it is in the tube
View attachment 189799 This picture shows the lock in phase 2 LOCKED POSITION , look in the void with the T handle down the EZ lock ends are visible as they closed and pinned the locking dogs in place.
Beautiful! Great design!

Thank you everyone for your advice and quick responses. I will be implementing all of your suggestions before the next boating season.

Back