• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polaris EX2100 - Throttle Control Issue

NewtJ82

Reaction score
Boat Make
Polaris
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Since these boats seem to be so rare, I am having difficulties finding shops to service them, or to find parts for them.

I believe the throttle control box needs to be replaced (symptoms: Shifts through the neutral position without stopping, unable to lock in neutral, unable to stop the "bucket" in the neutral position to keep the boat from moving). Will any universal throttle control box work with this boat? Thanks in advance for your help!

Note: Powerplant is a 2004 Mercury Optimax Jet Drive 250hp

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
No, these are not universal, as the Mercury SportJet uses a proprietary 2-stick setup. You would get some advice from the 2000-2005 SeaDoo owners of the Challengers and Utopias though.

The shift linkage doesn't necessarily "lock" in neutral, but should be noticeable when you shift through it. In fact, there is one component of the linkage that will not allow you to shift unless the throttle is in the fully closed position. (it makes for some stick flipping to pull off a sub move)

So if anything, check that portion of the linkage in a service manual for any Mercury SportJet, as they are the same from brand to brand that uses them.

Good luck!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well that’s an odd one. Obviously not the Mercury SportJet controls. SO I guess you may have the ability to find a more generic control. Have you checked to we if “Morse” is still around, and has any support network? Online parts diagrams?

Good luck, sorry to have lead you astray. The sugar sands with sportjet were two stick I believe.

NewtJ82

Reaction score
Boat Make
Polaris
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
No problem, I appreciate any response. I have my mechanic looking into it, we’ll see what he comes up with. I’m not 100% convinced that the throttle control is the whole issue, but it is at least part of the issue.

Thanks!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well, the good news is these things are not complex. So the Morse control will make it more similar to a Yamaha and other boats for that matter.

The sportjet control had a stick for the bucket, and a stick for the throttle. The Morse control works like the yamaha in the fact that the first bit of movement forward or reverse moves the bucket, and the remainder throttles up the engine.

Morse is a Teleflex company, so manuals and parts should be readily available. Teleflex is better known for their steering cables. Teleflex Marine is now known as SeaStar Solutions.

The kicker is finding a model number of the Morse Control, and it may require some disassembly. Here is a link to the most common ones. You will see similarities between the models, and many of the cosmetics on the outside are the only differences.

Good luck!

http://www.seastarsolutions.com/support-2/installation-manuals-controls-cables/controls-installation-manuals-mechanical-dual-action/#single

RedBarron55

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Jetcraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
My sport jet has a single lever for forward /reverse the further from neutral/idle the faster it goes.
The detent must be not working.
The half ball on the bottom of the throttle ball pulls the latch out of the detent.
A little lube might free it up.
To go through neutral you should have to pick up the lock.
If you pull out the silver thingy behind the lever it should let you fast idle with the lever still in neutral.
The linkage is not too complicated but can be screwed up is you try hard enough.
A little WD 40 and working that lock up and down might free it up.
The bucket is adjusted so that it is 1/2 way down in neutral and just (completely) clears the nozzle in forward.
There is some "slack" between neutral and actually increasing the RPM as it moves the bucket in the proper direction.
The two control cables go into this binnacle and it works pretty good on my 26 year old sport jet.
Most have a starter lockout if not in the neutral range, but many people override this and may have "fixed" the neutral detent as well.
You Tube link

Last edited: