• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polishing/waxing

cane.mba

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I just like to repeat myself ........
Especially when it's filled with sage advice.
Enjoy ........

The Harbor Freight polisher is an excellent choice for many. Most likely, you'll never live long enough, nor use it enough, to ever wear it out.
What I use, along with a specific QUALITY "backing pad" (VERY IMPORTANT ! ... Hint: Meguiers) is the Porter-Cable 7624.
This unit has been used for years by many professional polishing outfits.
Good Price <today> also ... $ 119.00 ... & FREE Shipping from Amazon. This is one of the lower prices I have seen.
Wishing everyone well - MIkey Lulejian - Enjoying 86 degree weather right on the water @ Lake Oconee, GA).

http://www.amazon.com/PORTER-CABLE-7424XP-6-Inch-Variable-Speed-Polisher/dp/B002654I46/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1394547824&sr=8-2-fkmr0&keywords=porter-cable 7624

Stacey in SC

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
You have a lot more energy than I do.
Wow. I don't know if that is impressive....is that the right word? Crazy? Ha! Never heard of anyone who waxes with every use. Higher on the OCD scale tend to be the people who use one of the Sauce products - Mel, is it Hot Sauce? - every use - spray and wipe. Waxing 2-3 times a year....but you sure do have a fine looking boat. That thing is gorgeous, @Sotally Tober

I was beginning and end of season. Outside with buffer and inside by hand. I use a compounding wax, but I'm in salt. :) I do a full washdown every time I use it, of course, with the salt water....

We just have a Dewalt sander with a buffer attachment, but I'm thinking of picking one of these things, too, that are really just intended for polishing and would be a bit lighter and more effective. Thanks for posting this, @Addicted

I tried. Oh Well. Effective polishing is very important. ;)

Last edited:

Kevin107

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Stacey in SC , I don't think I fall in the OCD that bad! I do spend the 10 minutes to use Boat Blings Hot Sauce inside and out after every outing. But I don't wax as often as you do! But your right, a good polishing is hard to beat!:winkingthumbsup"

Glassman

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
wow, you guys really wax that often?

I wash the boat (I get the outside, my wife does the interior) and use my secret concoction to remove water spots and Last Touch to produce a nice shine - it maintains the wax. I rarely have wax the boat anymore, it doesn't need it if I keep it clean. http://www.premiumboatcare.com/meguiar-s-last-touch-spray.html?productid=meguiar-s-last-touch-spray&channelid=FROOG

I like to do everything by hand so I am aware of any nicks or problems. I'll only use a machine if it needs it - let's say a dull spot from bumpers or rub rails rubbing when rafting for long weekends.

Take it easy on the rubbing compound -don't use it unless it really needs it. Rule of thumb: Least abrasive method first. IF you do use it (or polish) then you should wax.

I was approached by a guy at the carwash Sunday who wanted to know what I was using to get rid of the water spots - my black hull really looks sharp when it's clean. I showed him a spray bottle with no label, I know...big help.

There was a gorgeous Hallett next to me that was in near perfect condition - it was a '91 hull. Awesome gel coat on that boat! :cool:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Just in case anyone is looking for a polisher. Tempted to return the HF one and get this.
6" Porter-Cable Variable Speed Polisher 7424XP $99 + Free Shipping
http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/120854/amazon---6-porter-cable-variable-speed-polisher
I have written this unit up before.

It IS professional quality. We love ours ! Period. You will also.

==> When you buy QUALITY, you never have to say you're sorry !

Happy Memorial Day to all ....... Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

CrankyGypsy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
yeah, i'm new to all this, but i'm still throwing my thoughts into this old thread:

for Polishing (not Waxing), i am going to disagree and say an Orbital is not good enough for gel coat ...especially if you've already got oxidization/hazing from neglect. i've used an Orbital on my black Jeep with impressive results, but auto paint is different. if you are not using a Rotary Buffer with your Compound and/or Polish, i'm wondering if you are getting the best result possible?

i just purchased a Makita Rotary 9227C and the above Porter-Cable DA 7424XP along with some different Lake Country pads. i did a quick experiment/test before i get into a full gel resto on my dulled White and hazed Black AR230 in the next month or so. what i found that worked unequivocally better was the Rotary Buffer with Lake Country's Purple Foam Pads using 3M's Marine Compound then Finesse It Polish. once i found this shined up better, i even tried to go back over it with the DA/Orbital to see if i could pull more gloss out of it. i couldn't ...it actually somehow slightly dulled no matter what pad i used with the Polish. this finding has me confused how you guys are happy with your results?

my test spots are near-mirror on something i wasn't sure i could recover and i haven't even sealed and waxed it (both by hand) yet to get the real depth.

Polished vs Shiny...
i did a ton of research trying to find the right method and luckily stumbled onto this extensive article:
http://www.fiberglassics.com/restoration/restoring-gel-coat

i found that Premium Boat Care that Glassman linked has everything at a great price. i also like that they are in Florida, so my stuff gets here pretty quickly.

Last edited:

Evildwarf

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Wax exterior/interior in the Spring and Fall, by hand.

Wipe down after use.

Just started using Hot Sauce, what a shine!

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have never waxed my boat. That being said, I always wash it, I use Hot Sauce after every outing, and it stays under a covered dock. Really only the Port side sees any sun from the setting sun in the summer evenings. I have decided to wax the boat while I have it out of the water and decided to do a little research online for techniques and products. Holy Shit!! A person can get lost whilst diving down the rabbit hole of online product demos and techniques for waxing a freakin boat. Everybody has a different opinion on polish, buffers, wax, etc., etc. MY FREAKIN HEAD HURTS!

@Glassman I like your take on this. I'm thinking all I need is some wax, maybe a little compound for slight oxidation on the port side and some fender rash on both sides. For the most part the boat looks very good. I also was wondering what do most do for the hull. I have cleaned the hull with a hull cleaner, I need to go back with a brillo pad and get some of the harder spots that are still there, but after I get the hull clean do I polish the hull before waxing? Or just wax the hull? My hull is a little stained from the water, but nothing bad, plus do I really care? The boat sits on a lift at the MArina, and when it's in the water you can't see the hull anyway. I just want the hull smooth again so I can pick up a few mph. Also, how many coats of wax are recommended for the sides, and the hull??

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm no expert, and I haven't stayed at a Holiday Inn Express in a while, but waxing the hull below the running line will be a waste. Now the at rest water line would be beneficial for helping to keep the surface water crap from sticking to the hull so fast. You might try polishing the hull to make it a little smoother if you want, but it might not help. Lose some weight out of the boat will help get a higher top speed. Just my $.02.

JetMania

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Waxing after every use requires way more time than I can devote. I bet you boat looks great though.

I have heard that waxing by hand with liquid wax is not as effective because the liquid needs to be heated up by the friction to soak into the fiberglass. Definitely not an expert, just some information I saw on a you tube video.
Doesn’t sound like it would “soak” into the fiberglass. I think it’s a surface treatment. The better you lay it on, the better gloss finish you can get, much like shining shoes the old-fashioned way or polishing floors. Use too much and it will be hazy, cloudy or worse. Liquid never builds like paste wax, so it won’t offer the long term surface protection. It will however, offer a temporary gloss finish, even on some dull fiberglass.