• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polk or Infinity replacement speakers?

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Can't really go wrong either way, but I like Polk better. They seem to have a better overall sound (to my ear) than the Infinity speakers. Infinity always sound very tinny (sp?) to me...

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Can't really go wrong either way, but I like Polk better. They seem to have a better overall sound (to my ear) than the Infinity speakers. Infinity always sound very tinny (sp?) to me...
Now that you say that I remember thinking the same thing in the past with car audio, Infinity's were awesome if you running a seperate sub but by themselves seemed on the lighter side.

jawsf16

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The polks are drop in replacements too. Easy.

woodard1983

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
not sure what exactly you are looking for with the upgrade, but imo it would definitely be worth looking at the MM651UM...they are also drop in replacements, but have better quality and a warmer sound than the DB

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I started an install using 8 x Infinity 6912m powered by a Fusion IP600G with plans of adding a sub or two. After I got the first four installed I was so happy that I decided that I did not need the subs or more accurately that @Rana would not let me have more bass ;). I have six of the 6912ms installed now and hope to add the two in the bow over the winter.

I installed four of the 612ms powered by a Clarion M300 in a friends 24 foot barge at the beginning of last summer. They sound great and certainly are not "tinny". His wife was very happy with them.

Looking at the specs Polk claims a frequency range of 35Hz-22Kz. That is both lower and higher than the 612m at the same 92 dB efficiency. The 6912m produces more than twice the volume with its 96dB efficiency.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Liked my polk mm651's so much i bought 2 12" mm1240 dvc subs and those are equally awesome!!!

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
For QUALITY of sound, the JL's cannot be beat. This has been substantiated in many, many comparison tests.
However, as we all know, for most people, the Polks do sound fine, and last about equally long.
Best Wishes, no matter which direction you go ! Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

And Oh ! Yeah !@

+  A NU Christmas In Cancelled - X2.jpg

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Are these speakers going to run on the head unit's internal amplifier or an external amp? If the HU amplifier, I kind of doubt you'll notice very much difference between them, particularly when underway. Both will likely sound a lot cleaner than the stock speakers (presuming your boat has the same crap speakers as mine!) but the weak signal from the HU will limit volume and bad distortion will rear its head at anything approaching a volume you could really hear underway. Also, I'd be leary of any claims of strong bass down in the sub 50hz range, as that's just not really physically possible. In short, an amplifier, even a fairly small one, will likely make a much bigger difference than whether you go with the Polks or the Infinitys.

FWIW, I had a pair of Polk db 691s in my Dodge 2500. My experience may be the exception, as they sounded fine for a pair of low-priced 6X9s but fell apart after about a year. The crossover piece was just spot soldered on and fell off, resulting in loss of signal to the mid/woofer. I resoldered them once but they fell apart again. Granted, these were in the doors of the truck, so they got slammed around a bit with opening and closing. Regardless, the construction certainly wasn't what I would call robust and I wouldn't expect it to survive particularly long in a boat that sees any degree of chop regularly. I'm not sure if the 6.5s are built more solidly.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
The DB651 is just an entry level speaker. It is a great speaker for the price paid. But it isn't a "quality" speaker...unless your comparing it to the Seaworthy that came in the 230's and 210's back a few years. Even my 2012 240 had Seaworthy and those are worthless paper speakers. But the difference, between a Seaworthy and a DB651 is even greater, between a DB641 and a JL MX650. The MM651UM is comparable to the JL MX650, and priced accordingly...those are quality speakers. But again, the price point isn't the same, neither is performance or quality. But hey, you can power them, and replace them for less than the "quality" speakers mentioned...you just can't drive them the same, nor expect the same level of performance even at easy listening levels.

redthumper9

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I have been running the polk db651's in my boat for four seasons now. They started in my last boat (sx210) and I transfered them to my 240 when I bought it. They sound great (when amplified) and for the $$, can't be beat. They are however, not really comparable to the JL mx650's (which I already have ready to install this winter) or polk MM series. If you are building a budget system and want good sound, go for it. If you want top quality speakers that are going to last and sound great, bite the bullet and upgrade a bit.

David Analog

Jetboaters Commander
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
NA
Here is the main differences between the Polk and Infinity 6.5" coaxials mentioned in the OP.

The Infinity has a bridge/grill mounted tweeter and a sealed midbass cone instead of a tweeter mounting post in the Polk model. The Polk has an exposed midbass voice coil gap. The exposed gap isn't much of an issue in the interior of the boat in fresh water. The Infinity may have a slight edge in midbass cone surface area due to the continuous cone. +1 for Infinity.

The Infinity tweeter in this particular model is a 'W-dome' type. Essentially it's a cone with a small VC and a dome in the center. Although it is certainly sensitive with lots of output, this type tweeter has a very erratic response. Typically a hard edge and a little strident on vocal material. The Polk uses a small but true dome tweeter with a second order highpass filter. The Polk definitely isn't as smooth through the mids and highs as a JL Audio MX for example, but it is a much more pleasing treble speaker than the Infinity. Some of this audible difference will depend on the mounting elevation and the music type. +1 for Polk.

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other

bthessel

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So all this thread has done is convinced me to spend more money on better speakers and an amp. :) Lo0king at the Polk MM series now. My upgrades for the boat I just bought now look like this:

• New speakers and amp
  • Dual battery setup with Blue Sea Add a Battery kit
  • KeelGuard
  • There are no tower speakers today but it is wired for them so that might happen
  • cushions for the rear deck
  • modifications to the storage area based on stuff I have seen on here
Nothing like a new boat to get you to spend even more money....

brockhals

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Look up Earmark Marine online and talk with Odin. He'll get you setup with the right equipment. Now on to subs...

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Might as well complement the new polk speakers. :D

20141207_162730.jpg

Stan Fisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The DB651 is just an entry level speaker. It is a great speaker for the price paid. But it isn't a "quality" speaker...unless your comparing it to the Seaworthy that came in the 230's and 210's back a few years. Even my 2012 240 had Seaworthy and those are worthless paper speakers. But the difference, between a Seaworthy and a DB651 is even greater, between a DB641 and a JL MX650. The MM651UM is comparable to the JL MX650, and priced accordingly...those are quality speakers. But again, the price point isn't the same, neither is performance or quality. But hey, you can power them, and replace them for less than the "quality" speakers mentioned...you just can't drive them the same, nor expect the same level of performance even at easy listening levels.
Do I understand the Polk MM651UM are drop-in replacements (form factor/size wise) for the stock speakers on the 195?

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Do I understand the Polk MM651UM are drop-in replacements (form factor/size wise) for the stock speakers on the 195?
I am sure those that have them will chime in.

Welcome aboard, @Stan Fisher ! :Welcome:

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
As long as the 195 comes already with 6.5" speakers, then YES.

What will need to be changed are the terminal ends that connect to the speaker.
Soldering the wire(s) directly is good, if you're good with the soldering technique.
Otherwise you'll need new terminal ends which can be crimped on - As long as you own a crimper.
Good Luck - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA

Stan Fisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
As long as the 195 comes already with 6.5" speakers, then YES.

What will need to be changed are the terminal ends that connect to the speaker.
Soldering the wire(s) directly is good, if you're good with the soldering technique.
Otherwise you'll need new terminal ends which can be crimped on - As long as you own a crimper.
Good Luck - Mikey Lulejian - Lake Oconee, GA
that's what I'm not sure about.. are the 195 standard speakers 6.5" speakers and if so, do the Polk MM651UM drop right in.. I pick up the boat tomorrow.