• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Polk or Infinity replacement speakers?

MikeyL

Passed Away
In Memoriam-RIP
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Your dealer will tell you (ie, the stock speaker size). And if they are 6.5," the new ones will drop in.
Excepting the connection / connecting terminal possibly. The dealer won't know that .... not until you remove 1 speaker and compare the ends to those on your new speakers. All of this is easy. If I can help further, pls just PM me. Good Luck - Mikey Lulejian - On an 83 degree day on Lake Oconee, GA

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Even if they are not "drop in", it doesn't take much to align the speaker and drill new mounting holes. Now if you have to cut a bigger opening, that is a little tricker, but not hard. Welcome to the forum @Stan Fisher ! The MM651UM is a nice choice, it is on par with the JL Audio MX650. Your going to want to drive either of those with more power than the stock HU, but they will sound better even if you don't. If your not adding an amp, save your money and just get the Polk DB651.

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have Infinity speakers in my boat with a Kicker amp. I have the Polk speakers in my Jeep with no amp.

I'm completely impressed with both and would recommend either. You won't go wrong.

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Polk MM651UM speakers dropped right into the factory spots on my SX210. Sounds WAY better, even just on HU power. Can't wait to finish the install of my amp to give them the power they deserve. Just waiting on a longer negative battery cable and marine speaker wire.

Stan Fisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Even if they are not "drop in", it doesn't take much to align the speaker and drill new mounting holes. Now if you have to cut a bigger opening, that is a little tricker, but not hard. Welcome to the forum @Stan Fisher ! The MM651UM is a nice choice, it is on par with the JL Audio MX650. Your going to want to drive either of those with more power than the stock HU, but they will sound better even if you don't. If your not adding an amp, save your money and just get the Polk DB651.
I'm looking at the Pyle PLMRA620 amp to drive them with.. it looks like you can bridge two channels for the sub (which I still need to pick out) and run the other 4 channels discrete for each speaker. I'm thinking of installing the sub under the same cushion as the factory upgraded stereo but facing forward toward the passenger chair so it's not easily kicked like the factory installation would appear to be.
There's no sub currently in my boat.. which I can call "my boat" late this afternoon! woohoo!
UPDATE: I'm thinking the Polk MM1040 UM subwoofer..

Last edited:

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've read mixed reviews on the Polk sub in an infinite baffle installation. Have read nothing but positive reviews on the JL Audio marine IB subs (10IB3 or 10IB5). My own experience with JL Audio subs has been very positive as well, although I have not yet installed one in my boat.

Stan Fisher

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scarab
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've read mixed reviews on the Polk sub in an infinite baffle installation. Have read nothing but positive reviews on the JL Audio marine IB subs (10IB3 or 10IB5). My own experience with JL Audio subs has been very positive as well, although I have not yet installed one in my boat.
I was planning on building an enclosure behind the sub... I don't know if that makes it a good choice when installed that way or if I should start looking at JL ? I want to protect the back of any sub I install from stuff being thrown into the storage area.

jcyamaharider

Event Sponsor
Event Sponsor
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I have 2 12" polk mm dvc subs in an enclosure and they are loud!!

I would defiantly put a box around the back of them. You will be happy after that. @Stan Fisher

Evil Sports

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I added a wet sounds HT6 and a sub and WOW the stock Polks really shined.

octavio3311

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Same here. I have an WS HT6 powering 6 Polk's (added 2 to the mid cabin) and they sound incredible. Also have a WS HT4 powering 2 tower speakers and a WS sub.

Very pleased with the system - it exceeded all my expectations.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Polk DB651 on my new Yamaha 242 Limited 2 2015 - one would think Yamaha could afford to use better quality parts on their new boats
Ouch! Are you in salt?
Not that it should be happening, anyway. How is the swim deck remote holding up? Just curious, it is actually the HU I think.

--

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
@Oliver , Yamaha has used everything from paper speakers to the top end JL Audio in different models of their boats over the years. However the db651 was considered by many to be a big upgrade over the previous Seaworthy speakers used for years. But the DB651 is just an entry level speaker itself, and you can see that by the condition of yours. The simple fact is that if exposed, and it isn't a marine certified speaker, you will face what you see in almost any speaker. And any company can call it a "marine" speaker. If you look at the test results and see the salt spray conditions that are used to test them, only a handful of speakers are adequate for boating in saltwater and just boating in general. The good news is, speakers are an easy fix. Lots of guys feel that only top of the line everything should be used in a boat. I agree, but then the price tag would kill of the market. Because 8 speakers, the remote, and the HU was probably done for less than $400. The price of a JL Audio MX650 is 8 to 10 times more expensive than a Polk DB651, and combined with a good sub, power, HU and remote, it's easily $2500 and more. It would have added $2000 at least to the cost of your boat. I would go with the JL over anything else myself. But if Polk is your brand, look at their upper end marine speaker, about the same price as the JL. Just be aware too, that when you out in a heavier, more durable and protected speaker, it will need amplification to move a heavier speaker.

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Oliver Just to be clear, I've seen JL MX650s for $150 a pair. The JL M650s are more expensive, $300-400 range, albeit prices vary. The least expensive Polk DB651s I have seen were $60 a pair. Either way - as @txav8r said, new speakers are an easy and inexpensive replacement.

BUT

If that is happening to your speakers in a 2015 boat... I would want to check other wiring, the HU, the harness etc.

EDIT: If you do boat in salt, do you use SaltAway or a similar product to flush and spray everything exposed?

--

ToddW850

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Wow! I've got these same speakers in my Jeep and absolutely love them. Zero problems. I have different speakers in my boat, but would not hesitate to switch to the Polks if my speakers went down.