• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Port engine cranks fine but won't start.

DFDJETBOAT17

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, that is correct. However, I am starting to doubt that and may have combined some of the trouble shooting steps.
Did you ever find the cause of this? Have a 2011 sx240. One engine starts up fine, but the port just cranks over and doesn’t start?

ZippyBoater

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Did you ever find the cause of this? Have a 2011 sx240. One engine starts up fine, but the port just cranks over and doesn’t start?
No, I never really figured it out. My best guess is that it was a clogged fuel pump or line. When I had the problem, if I put fresh fuel in the tank, it would start after I put the gas can away and the fuel tank settled. Toward the end of the summer and all three times I have had her out this year, she is running fine. If I could only find the source of the cavitation on the port drive, everything would be great.

Kevin C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
HELP! I have been dealing with lanyards and clean out hatch switches for 6 months of no start on the port engine. Starboard engine works fine. Even switched out the computers, and switched out the key switch at the helm. One hope, the port engine which won't start gives me a "battery voltage" alarm when cranking. The starboard engine does not alarm at all. When cranking, the port engine the voltage drops from 12.3 v to 9 volts. Any suggestions on what is my problem? PLEASE HELP! The lanyard switch wires are all removed from the switch and hanging loose. The clean out hood port switch brown wires were disconnected and joined together. PLEASE HELP!

Last edited:

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
bad battery connection or dirty ground wire to the engine block, try some jumper cables from the battery to the block to see if that is the problem and then clean the conections

Kevin C

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thank you Cobra. I did put a black jumper from the battery negative to the block and still no spark. Can you tell me how to find the black negative ground wire to the engine. Very difficult to trace the wires and see down there. Appreciate you being in the game with me!

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
ok so it cranks over but gets no spark I misunderstood the issue check the neutral safety switch on the engine it is near the throttle body of the intake very common to not let it start if the switch is out of adjustment try cranking the engine and moving the shifter a bit forward and backward at the same time JUST A LITTLE

Murf'n'surf

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thank you Cobra. I did put a black jumper from the battery negative to the block and still no spark. Can you tell me how to find the black negative ground wire to the engine. Very difficult to trace the wires and see down there. Appreciate you being in the game with me!
Your cleanout switch wires are black to brown connection for the bypass?
Dual battery set up? If so, try the emergency parallel to see if you have one bad battery.
I would assume the lanyard wires are correct if one engine starts.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Your cleanout switch wires are black to brown connection for the bypass?
Dual battery set up? If so, try the emergency parallel to see if you have one bad battery.
I would assume the lanyard wires are correct if one engine starts.
the clean out switched won't let the starter turn so that is probably not the problem I have had issues with the neutral safety switch doing that same thing to me that he is experiencing

Last edited:

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Jeff, on some boats those hatch switches do both things (two separate circuits, one for stopping cranking, the other to kill spark, 4 wires total) You are right that when the switch is working it will behave as you describe, but the switch can fail allowing cranking but no spark. Jumping the switch, or bench testing it, will confirm for sure.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Jeff, on some boats those hatch switches do both things (two separate circuits, one for stopping cranking, the other to kill spark, 4 wires total) You are right that when the switch is working it will behave as you describe, but the switch can fail allowing cranking but no spark. Jumping the switch, or bench testing it, will confirm for sure.
Yes if the boat is running and the hatch blows open it shuts off the engine / engines so it is possible but pretty unlikely in this case although worth bypassing or testing them to be sure.