• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

port motor issues

Jetboatjoy

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just bought a 2006 Yamaha sx 230. The test drive went well. Both motors started up fairly easy. Today I went to the river and the starboard motor wouldn’t crank. I got home and notice motor oil on top of the motor, under the plastic motor cover. There was no oil in the air filter. All the oil was on the other side of the air filter. I have pictures, but they might be hard to see. I’m not sure what I’m trying to fix or look for, so any advice is appreciated. IMG_4501.jpegIMG_4501.jpegIMG_4500.jpegIMG_4499.jpegIMG_4498.jpegIMG_4497.jpegIMG_4501.jpegIMG_4501.jpegIMG_4500.jpegIMG_4499.jpegIMG_4498.jpegIMG_4497.jpegIMG_4496.jpegIMG_4501.jpegIMG_4500.jpeg

The pictures mainly just show the accumulation of oil.

@Jetboatjoy I think it was overfilled with oil. Right below your pics is a filter with a breather hose plugged into it at the bottom of the airbox. If there is too much oil in the oil reservoir, the oil goes down a breather hose connected at the top of the oil cooler, into the oil separator, and back up the breather hose connected into the bottom of the filter box. It is absolutely essential to stay between the marks on the dipstick.

I agree with wreks, at this point not a major worry, many people accidently overfill the oil, normally you'll have to replace the air filter also,
what condition is the air filter in ??
new - probably good, he noticed the saturated filter and changed it out
saturated, good probably it was just over filled oil,
dry and old - I may start to wonder if something else is going on,

make sure you oil is the proper level and monitor it before during and after your next outing,

@Jetboatjoy I think it was overfilled with oil. Right below your pics is a filter with a breather hose plugged into it at the bottom of the airbox. If there is too much oil in the oil reservoir, the oil goes down a breather hose connected at the top of the oil cooler, into the oil separator, and back up the breather hose connected into the bottom of the filter box. It is absolutely essential to stay between the marks on the dipstick.
Thank you for your response. I’m going to mess with it more this weekend. I will update with new information once available.

Did the engine crank but not start or would it not crank at all?

Overfilling the oil will not cause it to not crank. The most likely causes there are the switches under the clean out port hatch that kill the engine when it is open and the neutral switches at the throttle. You can hold down the clean out hatch switch to see if it is the issue. If so either adjust it upward or tape a coin to the bottom of the hatch where it makes contact.

Back