• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter
  • Announcing the 2024 Jetboat Pilot 10th Annual Marine Mat Group Buy for JetBoaters.net members only! This is your best time to buy Marine Mat from JetboatPilot - you won't get a better price - 30% Off! Use Coupon Code JETBOATERS.NET at checkout.

So if you are tired of stepping on really hot snaps/carpet, or tired of that musty carpet smell - Marine Mat is the best alternative out there! Get in on this now, or pay more later!

You only have until September 30th to get in on this.....So Hurry!

You can dismiss this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner>>>>>>>>

Am I screwed

I agree with @Neutron, look at your owners manual for the oil requirements which is temperature dependent to your area. Yamalube is fine oil. I personally run Amsoil 10W-40 Marine oil as it can get pretty hot here during the summer, and I trailer to places that are hotter. I recommend a Marine oil as it has some marine specific additives for corrosion protection.

In case you don’t know, the W in say 10W-40 stands for Winters not weight. The Winters rating is the ability of the oil to flow at 32° F, so you want to stay with manufacturers recommendations on the W rating.
I replace with the recommended oil I ended up finding it. I hand tightened the filters and had no leaks and added around 3 qts of oil to each motors but it’s hard to tell if they are full for me my vision is pretty ass. This is after running both motors for 8 mins with the motors level.

Attachments

• IMG_1389.png
    IMG_1389.png
    8.6 MB · Views: 24
I replace with the recommended oil I ended up finding it. I hand tightened the filters and had no leaks and added around 3 qts of oil to each motors but it’s hard to tell if they are full for me my vision is pretty ass. This is after running both motors for 8 mins with the motors level.
Sometimes its easier if you look at the other side of the dipstick..

Put your dipsticks on a paper towel, it'll "wet" it and show you the level more clearly.

One thing that came to mind reading about your filter leak was to ask if there was any gasket material left on the mating surface when you removed it. Not having a clean and smooth surface on there can result in a less than optimal seating of that gasket, and small leaks down the road. Not sure if you discovered why the old filters were leaking - did you see anything potentially wrong with the gasket on the old filter (wrinkle, wasn't sealed all the way around, debris on the gasket, etc)?

Put your dipsticks on a paper towel, it'll "wet" it and show you the level more clearly.

One thing that came to mind reading about your filter leak was to ask if there was any gasket material left on the mating surface when you removed it. Not having a clean and smooth surface on there can result in a less than optimal seating of that gasket, and small leaks down the road. Not sure if you discovered why the old filters were leaking - did you see anything potentially wrong with the gasket on the old filter (wrinkle, wasn't sealed all the way around, debris on the gasket, etc)?
It was leaking near the Yamaha logo on the filter, it was due to me using an oil filter wrench to tighten it. I dented the filter only slightly but it was enough for it to actually cause a problem 4 months later.

It was leaking near the Yamaha logo on the filter, it was due to me using an oil filter wrench to tighten it. I dented the filter only slightly but it was enough for it to actually cause a problem 4 months later.
You just got a dose of experience.

Experience; Noun, definition, Experience is what you get when do not get what you want.

Don't sweat it, and if you are on the stronger side...there's a gasket on that thing for your benefit, tighten as hard as you can by hand (within reason don't twist the engine over either if you are too strong) and make sure you can't get it off in one attempt in say 1 second.... then give it another tightening by hand, and DONE. and it will come off easy when needed too. Sadly I think external rust is the enemy. The engines seem to be quite well put together. Not an issue....but I will recommend... Additional boat use over the next few weekends will ensure boat is well lubricated :)

Any updates?

Changed the oil and both filters, everything's running great. Should I change the oil again before the season ends?
Be sure and burn a lot of fuel before seasons end to make sure you are enjoying your boat and making great memories for the off season, then change your oil.

Be sure and burn a lot of fuel before seasons end to make sure you are enjoying your boat and making great memories for the off season, then change your oil.
Filters as well?

Filters as well?
Yes, always filters.

Fun fact, most modern quality motor oil really needs to be changed because it is dirty, the additive package is usually still good for a much longer time than the change interval. To me there only a few really good oil filters, and I say that because one can find actual ISO test data on them and not just claims of good filtration, they are, listed my order of preference, Amsoil (20 microns @99% efficiency) , Mobil 1 (25 microns @99% efficiency), WIX / NAPA Gold-It is my understanding that NAPA gold filters are made by WIX (25 microns @99% efficiency). These filters flow with low restriction and high filtration due to their construction.

Yes, always filters.

Fun fact, most modern quality motor oil really needs to be changed because it is dirty, the additive package is usually still good for a much longer time than the change interval. To me there only a few really good oil filters, and I say that because one can find actual ISO test data on them and not just claims of good filtration, they are, listed my order of preference, Amsoil (20 microns @99% efficiency) , Mobil 1 (25 microns @99% efficiency), WIX / NAPA Gold-It is my understanding that NAPA gold filters are made by WIX (25 microns @99% efficiency). These filters flow with low restriction and high filtration due to their construction.

That’s good to know, I’m going to order Amsoil full synthetic oil, how do I know which filters to get that will fit my motors? I am currently just using the stock Yamaha filters which don’t seem that great. I have the 1.8’s

Last edited:
Back