• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible move to California

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
It looks that I will be relocated to the San Diego/Chula Vista area for work.....well work will be in Tijuana and home will be in Chula Vista/San Diego area. For those that are in the area is Lower Otay Reservoir boatable? Are there other fresh water lakes around?

Been searching and reading the threads for southern California boating. Anything I should look out for? Do(s) and Don't(s)

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
that's quite a move,
you could look at our member map (top left just under the pictures and tag somebody with the @ function @stever40

Jp127

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
Other
I'll take all your 30 round AR magazines if you have any!

micj

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
San Vicente Reservoir is good place put you cannot beach there. You have to anchor up and float. It is a deep reservoir and so you will need lots of anchor line. Both Mission bay and Lagoon beach park are good for boating if you do not mind salt water.

M2O Marine Outfitters in San Diego is a great place if you need service on your boat.

Sotally Tober

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
-M2O will be your best bet for servicing your Yamaha.
-We use to store our boat out in Yuma Arizona and would play around the lower stretch of the Colorado River. Specifically the Martinez Lake area. If you look around my photo albums you will see tons of pics.
- We would would frequent Lake Havasu and Lake Powell as well. You will kick yourself if you don't make it to Lake Powell at least once. It's a long haul but well worth it.
- Locally, you have San Vicente, El Capitan, Mission Bay and obviously the Pacific Ocean.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
You guys are awesome. Thanks for the information. Its been a whirl wind of a year. Been on a expat assignment in Europe since April which will end this coming April which will then be the move to Southern CA.

I will check out all the places you have recommended. I'm not a fan of salt water but wont rule it out. Since I'm from Minnesota I did not need to have the galvanized trailer. Will most likely need to look at one if I go to salt water.

I will be making a trip down the 12th-15th for work related items and plan to look around the area. Hope to make it to some of these areas as well as local government to get info regarding laws. A lot to investigate about of boat ownership in CA. Minnesota is pretty liberal with boating. I can imagine CA has some significant rules and regulations. I will revert back here if additional questing pop up that I can find an answer to. Thanks again everyone!!

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
There is some specific information / process you need to disclose/ follow in order to bring (register) your boat into CA from another state. If you already have a boat with CARB (California air resources board) approved motors (i.e, with catalytic converters) it may be easier but this is not a requirement. Several members have dealt with this already. Maybe @txav8r will chime in, he is in Texas and sold his non carb boat to a CA couple a few years ago.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Thanks @Ronnie . Yes, California can be a challenge. What @Suchawittygal and @dantheman discovered, was that Jetboats are exempt and not subject to the same treatment as other boats. But that was just the Sacramento offices view, however they are the administrator I believe. Maybe they will chime in about what it took. Good luck!

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There is some specific information / process you need to disclose/ follow in order to bring (register) your boat into CA from another state. If you already have a boat with CARB (California air resources board) approved motors (i.e, with catalytic converters) it may be easier but this is not a requirement. Several members have dealt with this already. Maybe @txav8r will chime in, he is in Texas and sold his non carb boat to a CA couple a few years ago.
Thank you, I did read the posts about registering. It appears we need to have some tenacity and make sure they understand its a jet boat as Jet Ski's do not apply to the catalytic converters. But, I think the 2016's may already be 50 state approved.

stever40

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Thanks @Ronnie . Yes, California can be a challenge. What @Suchawittygal and @dantheman discovered, was that Jetboats are exempt and not subject to the same treatment as other boats. But that was just the Sacramento offices view, however they are the administrator I believe. Maybe they will chime in about what it took. Good luck!
Thank you!!

haknslash

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Moomba
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Thank you, I did read the posts about registering. It appears we need to have some tenacity and make sure they understand its a jet boat as Jet Ski's do not apply to the catalytic converters. But, I think the 2016's may already be 50 state approved.
yea about the....They don't sell 192's and 195's in Conformia even though they are jet ski powered.

DawgDaze

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry I haven't been on in awhile. Yes...Suchawittygal and I are located in Lake Elsinore California. We bought our boat from txav8r and brought it back from Texas.
You just have to contact sacramento and tell them it's a jet boat, just like a big jet ski. No outboard props. Just two impellers inside cases for jet propulsion.
It's all smooth after that. And by the way, unless you like THICK green algae stuck to your boat and trailer, DO NOT put in to Lake Elsinore. I live 5 minutes from that lake and put in ONCE back in September just to run the engines
and it took me 4 hours to clean it after that. Just a heads up.....