• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible new tow truck ( Tesla )

jEt_jAk

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Model X can tow also. Kinda scary though as the mileage reduces drastically when towing and there are so many variables it's hard to know exactly how far you can go while towing.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
This is real high on my curiosity list, even if it gets half the estimated range while towing it would meet my needs for anything except something like a trip to bimini. Another article I read indicated that the price would be reasonable, as well.

Seadeals

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I will be interested to see the actual scale. That bed looks 3’ long.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Based on past trends the truck will cost $150,000 for the first year or two, then after that first run you’ll be able to buy a $75,000 model. I get that electric vehicles are the wave of the future, but the future isn’t quite ready for mass consumption yet.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Musk said the other day that the starting price will be <$50K. Now, I'm sure that's a fairly utilitarian model with 2WD, but thats a pretty good starting point.

Dixie Highway

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Like the $30,000 Model 3 he promised? Until this year the only Model 3’s being built and delivered were fully loaded Ultimate models costing $60,000 plus. I still don’t believe a Model 3 can be had under $45,000. So if he’s saying $50,000 you won’t be able to get one for under $75,000.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
11k tow rating seems optimistic. I suspect a range drop from 400 miles to under 100 miles at that level.

We're still a ways out from the power density of batteries getting close to the power density of fossil fuels. The chemistry just hasn't caught up yet, and honestly might not with current tech.

Been considering a used Volt as a daily driver though. I can make it to the office and back, as well as pickup the boys without the worry of range, and yield a much better overall mpg. They're getting pretty cheap too.

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Musk said the other day that the starting price will be <$50K. Now, I'm sure that's a fairly utilitarian model with 2WD, but thats a pretty good starting point.
More like fully loaded. And a large battery.

(But all the features will be turned off and the range limited by software)

Last edited:

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
That Rivian is also interesting, but they need to prove themselves as a viable manufacturer before I'd commit to buying one. Tesla has plenty of issues as a company, but their cars are in general, pretty solid.

More like fully loaded. And a large battery.

(But with all the features will be turned off and the range limited by software)
LOL, this is true.

MattFX4

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
tow 300,000lbs?? This thing is a unicorn and I will believe it when I see it. Rumors swirling that Ford is building an electric F150 which I would take over a Tesla truck any day of the week.

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I think the 300K is just a gimmick point, like that Nissan or Toyota or whatever that dragged a space shuttle a few feet.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
11k tow rating seems optimistic. I suspect a range drop from 400 miles to under 100 miles at that level.

We're still a ways out from the power density of batteries getting close to the power density of fossil fuels. The chemistry just hasn't caught up yet, and honestly might not with current tech.

Been considering a used Volt as a daily driver though. I can make it to the office and back, as well as pickup the boys without the worry of range, and yield a much better overall mpg. They're getting pretty cheap too.
I own one. I'm actually on my second. Purchased a 2012 and then a 2015 (back to back). Absolutely love it. Back and forth to work; never burn any gas. Weekends, maybe (if I'm not out on the boat).

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It all sounds great. 500 mile range and all. What's the recharge time? Day to day to plug in overnight is no big deal. Pull a trailer to a lake of distance , say 100 miles and stay for the weekend. Would I be able to drive back?
Another circumstance is my snow skiing? I just dont see the infrastructure for electrics and the slow charge rates. I remember a Grand Tour episode on electric vs gas. James May showed up right as the event was over. I dont want to be James May.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
It all sounds great. 500 mile range and all. What's the recharge time? Day to day to plug in overnight is no big deal. Pull a trailer to a lake of distance , say 100 miles and stay for the weekend. Would I be able to drive back?
Another circumstance is my snow skiing? I just dont see the infrastructure for electrics and the slow charge rates. I remember a Grand Tour episode on electric vs gas. James May showed up right as the event was over. I dont want to be James May.
The infrastucture will get there. It's just a matter of time. I saw this on another thread.

Ancient canoe

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just throw a portable gas generator in the bed and charge as you go.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The infrastucture will get there. It's just a matter of time.
For "daily driving" I suspect this is the case.

The hard truth for trucks is that they are often far from "the mainstream grid". So Infrastructure where you need it most will be far behind. Boat ramps, Construction sites, Undeveloped campsites, Farms, etc. Those of us using them as daily drivers will find it easy to deal with already as the range can typically cover MOST peoples daily needs without a recharge. Once you add a heavy load, and any significant distance that leads to a less developed area, problems abound quickly, and the financial justification for improvement in those areas is very low.

djetok

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
For "daily driving" I suspect this is the case.

The hard truth for trucks is that they are often far from "the mainstream grid". So Infrastructure where you need it most will be far behind. Boat ramps, Construction sites, Undeveloped campsites, Farms, etc. Those of us using them as daily drivers will find it easy to deal with already as the range can typically cover MOST peoples daily needs without a recharge. Once you add a heavy load, and any significant distance that leads to a less developed area, problems abound quickly, and the financial justification for improvement in those areas is very low.
Having been in the waste industry for so many years. I remember the push for CNG in trash trucks. I would have loved to do this for the cheaper fuel and cleaner emissions. The issue for me was cost, a refill station was super expensive 200k for the first pump and 30k for each additional. For a large fleet, you obviously have to have a station per 2 trucks. The refill time was the same as electric, slow.