• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Possible Project to smooth and coat jet pumps

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jim Robeson, what would you recommend as a long lasting, sandable product to use on the jet pump? I would like to reseal mine then sand the sealant flush. Thanks

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce ... can you tell me what kind of metal you think you pump is made from. I'm guessing aluminum?? Can you also tell me a little bit more of what you're trying to seal. I'm thinking right now that this sounds like a job for a two part product.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce ... can you tell me what kind of metal you think you pump is made from. I'm guessing aluminum?? Can you also tell me a little bit more of what you're trying to seal. I'm thinking right now that this sounds like a job for a two part product.
I believe the jet pumps in our boats are constructed from aluminum and fiberglass. I want to fill the seams where the aluminum and fiberglass comes together.

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I believe the jet pumps in our boats are constructed from aluminum and fiberglass. I want to fill the seams where the aluminum and fiberglass comes together.
Any chance you could snap a picture of the area?? And does it need to be something for structural purposes or just filling in a gap?? Sorry for all the questions.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Any chance you could snap a picture of the area??
Sure, here is a picture from behind.

It is not structural, just the seal between the parts to reduce cavitation. I would like to experiment with smoothing the pump housing as much as possible then applying a layer of pump paint.

insidepump.jpg

This photo is a "blueprinted" pump

blueprintedpump.jpg

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce ... I will talk to some of our engineers and give you an idea on what to use. Most of our seam sealers/sealants are on the flexible side so that wouldn't work for sanding purposes. But we do have several two part products that get hard enough to sand/tap/drill etc... Do you care what color?? Some of our stuff I'm thinking about is black and gets very hard. We do have some gray material and even green.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Bruce - Why not just use gel coat for any small gaps that need filled? It is a sandable epoxy. Of course it will crack instead of flex but I don't know of a product that is both flexible and sandable beside plastic. If you must have flexible you could consider using ski base repair Ptex but I am not sure how well that would hold up.

Last edited:

Jim Robeson

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Jim Robeson, thank you I appreciate all your advice and offer to help.

I see the application is metal bonding. Do you think it will adhere to the fiberglass as well?

Also do you know if 3M offers anything similar to the Belzona 1341? I am going to contact Belzona about applicability but expect to spend around $300 if I use that product.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just noticed these pictures in the Belzona marketing

Jet pump with cavitation wear

CavitatedTube.jpg

Belzona coated tube

BelzonaTube.jpg

Bill D

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Watching. :nailbiting:

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
It looks like Polymeric may be the industry term for these coatings and ScotchKote may be 3Ms similar product line.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Bruce I had to Reseal a pump a few years ago. Started with rtv silicone which worked for a few weeks before failing. Tried 3m 5200 but didn't seal it properly so I had cavitation. Finally i replaced the 5200 with 4200 and as far as I know it is still in place and working fine. At least it was two or three years afterwards and the last time I spoke with the boat's new owner was about two years ago now. 5200 is too strong and took forever to remove. I used a razor blade to smooth out the adhesive transitions and a dremel to remove the old material.

KXCam22

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bruce,
When I filled mine I used 5200 and since it is not sandable, I smoothed it while wet with laquer thinner. This worked well. The thinner would probably work with any similar sealer/filler. There were a few spots that I could have used a die grinder but the filler did a good job there as well. Cam.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We use Belzona products a lot mostly 1311. Great stuff for fixing things around a power plant. Recently used it to repair a cut flange on the discharge of a boiler feed pump warm up line. Will have to keep this in mind when I do an inspection, I only have 30 hrs on the boat now. Doesn't look like it would take much.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Chip F., I am having difficulty finding Belzona 1341. Do you know if your supplier sells it? My thinking is that I might use 2/3rds of the $350 500 gram package on one coat of the pumps.

Perhaps @Jim Robeson will find that one of the 3M Scothkote products would be perfect for us.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Chip F., I am having difficulty finding Belzona 1341. Do you know if your supplier sells it? My thinking is that I might use 2/3rds of the $350 500 gram package on one coat of the pumps.

Perhaps @Jim Robeson will find that one of the 3M Scothkote products would be perfect for us.
I will find out today for you.

Chip F.

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Repair Technology
856-687-2225
500 gram kit =$241.00

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks @Chip F., I really appreciate it!